No announcement yet.

Weddings? Who pays????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first wife wanted the huge wedding. we paid for pretty much all of it ourselves and i HATED it. we spent so much cash on a few hours of fun at a party. that same money could have put us directly in a position to purchase property or just start off in a better position. IF (big if) i ever get married again i am shooting for eloping!

Comment

OP sounds like you need to have a talk with your son(away from the bride to be) and see what he really thinks and wants.

My wife and I got married in March and planned it for a yr. We went into it expecting to pay for everything ourselves because to be honest, we make more than both our families, and I’ve never expected anyone to give me anything. This also allowed us to get and do whatever we wanted, wherever we wanted, without having to feel guilty about the cost to anyone else.

In the end we were blessed that my parents offered to pay for the rehearsal dinner party and her parents paid for her dress and tips for vendors. Everyone was happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They Know Me

I don't think my daughters would want me to pay for their weddings 'cause they know that then I'd have all the say in how every dollar was spent.

You know you can make great hors d'oeuvres with spam.

Comment

Last year my in-laws paid for the entire wedding, my parents paid for rehearsal and honeymoon thought that’s how it was supposed to be.

Comment

I paid for mine on my own. In-laws asked if they could help and I said no. My marriage, My Money, My choices, only my opinion. (Meaning my wife had all the say so).

Comment

I dated a gal that was a wedding planner. She planned some weddings that cost in excess of million dollars. Ridiculous what some people are willing to do for a big party.

Comment

The only fair way, if the couple isn't going to pay for it themselves, is to set a budget and agree on who can pay how much.

The old bride's family pays for the whole thing and and grooms parents pay for the rehearsal and honeymoon is ridiculous now considering how much the wedding alone can cost now. I have to wonder how that "tradition" started and if it's nothing but a marketing scam like so many of our other fake traditions around engagement and weddings...

We were prepared to pay for our own but my in-laws offered to pay for our wedding because they are pretty loaded. My parents are broke as a joke and basically completely dysfunctional people but that's a whole 'nother story...

Keeping that in mind we made sure to keep things reasonable and we came in 3k under budget while still having a very nice, elegant wedding.
                Last edited by Jspradley; 09-30-2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

In the Hispanic culture, Grooms familia pays,, American culture, Brides familia. but I am liking the new age culture, split it down the middle, or save for down payment on a house..... I daughter is,so I am all for the groom side paying....

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                    this Is a tough one my advice is don’t **** off Daughter in Law she will hold the power and you will want to see your grandchildren.
                    Anyone that lets some female "hold the power" is a dumb A

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                      or save for down payment on a house...
                      This 100000x

Think about how much better off our young folks would be if all the billions of dollars spent on the wedding scam were given to them as a house down payment instead...

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        In the grand scheme of things, the groom will ultimately pay.......over and over

I am just kidding, but I do know that weddings are high dollar. Reckon if you gonna keep peace better pony up a little cash to help out.
                        Yep, we are definitely kinfolk

When my wife and I married, it was done in the city park in Williston, ND. I paid the preacher and bought the rings. Some of my inspector friends bought the cake and, uh, “decorated” my truck. Two day honeymoon at Ft. Peck, Montana. Not a big deal, but it’s still a good marriage. IMO, too much money is wasted on hoopla for half of them to end in a few years. But, what do I know ?
                        Last edited by Drycreek3189; 09-30-2019, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                          Pay your share up to a reasonable amount. Don't forget, you will also be paying for the rehearsal dinner.
                          To me if you’re splitting the wedding you should split that too. Can’t have your wedding cake and eat it too

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                            My daughter was just married in June....I paid for everything to a tune of $30,000 and the grooms family paid for the rehearsal dinner...$750

They never even offered to help with anything
                            The way it should be. If your daughter wants a $30,000 wedding it should be on her or her family. If you expect half the funds let the have half the decisions

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                              Anyone that lets some female "hold the power" is a dumb A

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                              Lol word

Comment

Originally posted by drbonner View Post
                                The way it should be. If your daughter wants a $30,000 wedding it should be on her or her family. If you expect half the funds let the have half the decisions
                                Exactly. The groom most likely would’ve been just fine with a JP officiating and a BBQ with some beer. Now if the groom wants to run the tab up, then he or his family should be paying the fair share.

Comment

Working...
                                X