No announcement yet.

Parakeet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My roommate and I had one in college - his name was Shep. Great pet with a lot of personality. My roommate recorded the entire side of a cassette tape of him saying “F-off” and would play it in the room when we were in class. Shep learned to say it perfectly. I remember his finest hour. We were having a pre-party in our room with several couples - there was one girl that was an obnoxious “B”. Shep landed on her head , crapped in her hair and uttered the one phrase he knew. Epic....

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
      I say no for any age. Filthy animals.
      THIS... and noisy.

basically, worthless

Comment

Originally posted by geezy rider View Post
        our cat loved our parakeet.
        😂

Comment

Get some finches. Zebra finches would be a good start.
          Last edited by Jbird8791; 08-05-2018, 09:47 PM. Reason: Sp

Comment

For a one year old, I probably wouldn't. Place a bird feeder right in front of a window where your kid can watch them.

Comment

I would stay away from a parakeet. I think getting her a bird is great idea, the finch sounds like a better option.

Make things fun for her, this would be a great option I think.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                Yup, I've never had one, but knew a few folks that did.....still filthy. Oh, as far as learning responsibility, I took care of hundreds of head of cattle when I was a kid. I also had my show steers that I had to take care of. Lab? LOL! City people.
                Cool story bro.. What’s it have to do with a house pet?

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  I say get it. If it don't work out, wrap it in bacon.
                  I don't care who you are, that's funny

Comment

get her a few of these for her room..... serves two purposes.
                    Bird alternatives for children

Comment

I think we're going to try it... They are only $17.00 a piece, and I can get the whole deal up and going for around $100.00. I found a lady who breeds them and she'll have a batch ready in a few weeks. If I still feel like its a good idea by then I'll get it set up and she said if we hate it she'll take it back. I get she is way too young to learn any responsibility or anything like this, but she just enjoys watching birds. Apparently they live long enough that she'll grow into taking care of it, but we'll just have to see how it goes.

Comment

Before you make up your mind, do some research on the various diseases that can be transmitted to humans by birds. The risk may be small but it is there.

Comment

We had them as kids.....nasty *** animals. Cleaning hardened bird **** even with paper down was a PITA. No matter how good you were at lining cages, those turds would find some way to get **** under it. Never again.

Comment

Birds should either be flying outside in the wild, or frying inside in a hot skillet!

cricman

Comment

I think you'd do better improving the area around the house to attract birds.

When she's older, then I'd look into a pet bird.

Buy one from someone that has been hand feeding the bird since birth.

Just know that a bird, cocktails anyway, seem to favor one person in the house hold, and tolerates another. Everyone else can go pound sand.

My daughter had one, I'd say around 2nd grade. This thing really took to her.

She have him perched on her knee while watching TV. And it would hand out on a perched on her computer desk.

Unfortunately he had a bad ending when my mom's dog came for a visit. Bird had to be doing mach 3 and ran into the wall. Snapped its neck. Not a fun day.

Got another one and it just wasn't the same. Different breeder and the bird does not like being taken out of his cage. And only lets me and the wife handle him.

Comment

I did as a kid. Loved that bird.

I tried everything to get it to learn how to speak.

I would let him fly around the house when I was home. When he was ready to eat or be put up he would fly back to my shoulder.

Problem was the bird HATED all the females in my family. It would land on my sisters or mom and bite them. It would even attack my moms female dog. However was as gentle as could be with me.

One day I came home from school and he was gone.

I asked my mom where he was.

She told me, "your bird finally learned to speak!"

I asked what did he say?

She said it told her "to open the front door, I want to be free".

She said she op[end the door and he flew away.

Till this day not sure if the bird died or my mom intentional let him go...

Comment

Working...
                                X