Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Release failure....bow damaged....11 days before season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Release failure....bow damaged....11 days before season!

I'm about to explode! First off, my Truball Pro diamond release, well, it released! Last night, as I was drawing, it released the arrow mid draw, my thumb was nowhere near the button when it went off. I thought maybe I just needed to adjust it since I've upgraded to a higher draw weight and harsher draw cycle bow. I did that this evening and fired three shots, everything fine. I drew the fourth arrow and as soon as I hit full draw, all heck broke loose! I felt a snap and the release was jerked from my hand, arrow went astray, release went downrange. I smelled something burning and stated looking the bow over. First thing I noticed was the caliper was still attached to the d-loop, but I saw the handle go downrange! The burning smell was from the cable slide rod. When it broke loose, the release hit the rod and broke it! So, now, 11 days before season, I have to find a cable slide for a Strother SX-1! Pictures to come.

Here are the pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Dang! That sucks. Good luck!

Comment

Btw, I'm not hammering Tribal, I'm sure I have dropped the release a time or two. I'm not sure exactly why it failed, but it did.

Comment

Glad no one was hurt.

Comment

not a 100% positive but looking at the picture i would bet a limbsaver teflon (the white ones) will work. you can pick one up just about anywhere

check everything over well. make sure the cams stayed true and that the horns the cables hook onto are not bent. since you had an arrow on i would bet your good to go when you replace the cable slide. run a cotton ball over the limbs and see if anything grabs
            just being safe, still think your in good shape for what happened

edit: you should be able to swap them out without a press
            edit edit: check the cable rod for damage also from the release head.
            Last edited by wassaw; 09-17-2013, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wassaw View Post
              not a 100% positive but looking at the picture i would bet a limbsaver teflon (the white ones) will work. you can pick one up just about anywhere

check everything over well. make sure the cams stayed true and that the horns the cables hook onto are not bent. since you had an arrow on i would bet your good to go when you replace the cable slide. run a cotton ball over the limbs and see if anything grabs
              just being safe, still think your in good shape for what happened
              Thanks. You think Academy might have the limbsaver rod? Everything looks okay on the bow, but I'll do the cotton ball trick tomorrow. I'm thinking it's fine, not a dry fire, just the opposite in fact, as it had the weight of an arrow plus the weight of the release.

Comment

Looks like you need the carbon cable rod.
                Seriously doubt if Cabela's has that.
                A good archery shop should have one.

Comment

not a slide rod, sorry i read too fast and saw cable slide.

i will give a friend a call in the morning and see if he can help you get one quickly. no guarantee, but will try.
                  Last edited by wassaw; 09-17-2013, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Hope ya get it fixed.

Comment

Glad you're alright. Hope you can get it fixed

Comment

Still hunting for a rod online tonight. I can find all sorts of "upgraded" Ross, bent, "Z shaped" flexible, etc, but all I need is a 3/8" straight carbon rod, and apparently those are like gold. I guess they don't get damaged often, so the only reason to replace one is to "improve" the bow by reducing cable torque. Well, I haven't shot it enough to notice any torque, and probably not a good enough shooter to even notice any torque anyway. Any ideas where I can get a standard rod? I'm going to go ahead and replace the slide as well, since the original one may be damaged.

Comment

1. Glad you are ok.
                          2. Call Tru Ball and send them those pictures and find out what their warranty policy is.
                          3. Call Strothers and inquire about their warranty policies as well.

You probably won't find the cable rod on line any where since there is near zero demand for it outside of archery manufacturing. And who knows, maybe TB will cover the cost of the damage to your bow. Again, glad you are ok.

Comment

Ouch. When I first switched to a Pro Diamond, being used to a finger release, I accidentally released it. I quickly bought a V-Lock buckle strap to attach to it. The only thing it would have done for you would keep the handle in your hand.

It would be nice to contact Tru-Ball and see just how breakage prone the heads are.

I assume you contacted Strother? You might also call Elite, my Judge has a straight rod.

Here is one for Martin that appears to be straight, good price too- http://martinarchery.shptron.com/p/m...able-guard-rod

There is also a guy on ArcheryTalk that will cut them to custom length.

Comment

That is really a bad break. Also, send the release back to Tru Ball and have them replace it...they should do this. I would not ask but I would give them a story just like you did here. This is only if you want another tru-ball release. As for the rod, call strothers and tell them what happened and see what they say. I will bet they will help you out in some way...may not be able to hunt for a month but fixing this bow is the priority...and you do want to make sure it is fixed correctly. Hope this helps. Cheers!
                              Fred

Comment

Working...
                              X