Received My New (well slightly used) Recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received My New (well slightly used) Recurve

Well a couple of weeks ago I found a decent deal on a Martin X200 (45@28 AMO 60") on ebay. I have been waiting and waiting to get the bow in my hands, and wouldn't you know it. As soon as I leave town on a business trip my wife calls and says that it arrived. Anyway, That was on Monday.

Today I took my new Martin out for a test drive. I think I am going to like this quite a lot!

I started out shooting two fingers under and one above the arrow. I have tried this before and have had issues keeping the arrow on the shelf. Plus, it is just not comfortable to me. So I tried the three finger under method. Much better! I actually grouped several arrows less than one inch at about 12-15 yards my first day of shooting, so I am pretty excited about that.

Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. The bow came with 8 28" Easton Epic ST Realtree 400 arrows with 100grain points and feathers. The feel really light. They weigh approximately 410 grains with a 100 grain field point. Approximately what arrow weight would be appropriate for a 40-45# recurve?

2. When I shoot the bow, I think I am hearing the string slap the tips. I don't remember hearing this on other recurves that I have shot. I do not have any string silencers on the bow yet (I have beaver balls, but cant figure out how to install them). Is this something to be expected? Could this be related to shooting too light an arrow?

3. Are there any shops in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that can help me setup this traditional bow properly. There are a few places that I know about for dealing with my compound, but I don't know anyone who knows traditional gear. The bow came with a string nock already installed, but I want to make sure everything is installed properly. I also would like for someone to inspect the bow. Everything looks ok to me, but really, what do I know.

4. How the heck do you use one of those string installer thingys. I struggled for about an hour last night trying to figure out how to use it. Finally, I just threw the string installer to the ground and braced the bow on my boot and put the string on it. I have been told that it is better to use one of the string installers (that is why I bought it). It has a cup on one end that goes over the tip, and a triangle shaped rubber thing on the other end with a large loop in the string.

One of the main reasons why I bought this bow (other than to get into traditional) is for rabbit (small game) hunting. Man, I cant wait to nail a few of them wabbits!

Thank You,
    TM

1. your arrows should be fine. Anything over 8 grains per inch should work.

2. most recurves have a pretty good Wang to them with out string silencers. separate the string and slip one end of the beaver ball through with about 1/4" sticking out. wrap the rest around the string and then slip the other end through.

3. I don't live in Dallas but there are alot of folks that shoot at Collen county that would be proud to help.

4. slip the boot over the lower limb tip. slip the loop end over the top limb and string. stand on the string with both feet about shoulder wight apart. pull up on the bow and slip the string in place.

Comment

1.The arrow weight is about right(9-10gr per pound)

2.Recurve bows are picky on brace height,try raising it.Install silencers.You will never get it silent,atleast I cant with recurves

3.Talk to Tinman

4.DO NOT string the bow like you described,you will twist a limb at the very least,and might delamanate the limb.It is hard for me to descibe how to use the stringer,put the boot on the bottom limb and the triangle on the upper limb.with your right hand holding onto the riser handle pull upwards while you hold preassure on the triangle.Then slip top limb string into string nock.
      See how easy that was ,Really it is easy,but you really need someone with trad experince to show you,I think there are several around Dallas.

Congrats on the new bow

Comment

Trust what Stikshooter said in #4...I didn't believe the hype and did it to a 20 year old Bear. I have it pretty much straightened out now but it is a pain in the backside. Buff gave a good run down on using the stringer, I don't string without one now.

As for the twang, I have had a hard time getting my Bear completely silent...may be I am just use to the sound of a longbow now but it just seems to vibrate a little regardless of brace height and silencer type...well it does get better but like Stikshooter said, I can't get all the twang to go away. I am going to try Hushpuppies next. Oh that reminds me, I put some Bow Hush (Terry Green on Tradgang...same guy who makes Hushpuppies) on my Bear and it did help. Basically a heavy wool yarn you wind around the string at both ends to quieten the "slap" on the limb. PM if you want and I will send you the website. You can also put mole skin on the belly of the bow over the string grooves to help pad it a bit. Most of all, have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
          4. slip the boot over the lower limb tip. slip the loop end over the top limb and string. stand on the string with both feet about shoulder wight apart. pull up on the bow and slip the string in place.
          Doh! Now don't I feel like an idiot. I was fiddling with the bow stringer and saying to myself. "My arms are not long enough to use this thing!" I never thought to use my feet.

Thanks!

Comment

The twang is there, but it is accentuated by a slapping sound. I PM'd you about the Bow Hush URL.

duck'n, thanks for the glove. It fits me very well, and is very comfortable. I hope to be able to return the favor.

...and as far as having fun.... already there!

Comment

Alot of the noise is probably from those stiff arrows hitting the side of the window when they pass it.

Comment

Bare shaft tune your arrows, that is my suggestion!!

Comment

Martin never built a junky trad bow.
                  Chris Kiefner

Comment

I shoot 410 grain in my 54# recurve, fly great and have passed through 2 medium hogs.

Brace height may be too low, try raising it. I found using the nappy material from velcro on the limb where the string contracts helps quiet slap. I also use it on my shelf to shoot off of.

Here's how to use a bow stringer:

https://www.oldbow.com/bow_stringers...w_stringer.pdf -

Step on it with both feet, have the string go under the arch of your foot to be sure it does not slip off. With 2 feet it is much more secure and easy to use.

I'm an NAA level I instructor, 3 finger under is how NAA prefers beginning archers being taught to shoot.

Comment

I installed the "Beaver Balls" and the noise was dramatically reduced.

Comment

here is the Quinn site... it shows howto use a bow stringer... http://www.quinnsarchery.com/quinn's_archery_020.htm

Comment

All very sound advice. welcome to the world of Traditional archery.

Comment

Working...
                          X