New Crystal Creek Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Crystal Creek Review

Well I'm sitting here on the last morning of the hunt and have nothing coming in so I'd figure I'd type up the review now. I searched endlessly for a recent forum about this place and didn't see anything, so hopefully this helps some of you out. My buddy and I are stationed at Laughlin a few miles away and figured we give this a shot before we move in a few weeks.

We first showed up on the Monday we had booked and Stephen, a great guy and the owner, told us that since we lived so close, he recommended coming back the following week since the full moon likely meant poor hunting. While disappointed at first, we soon realized that this was a classy move on his part, he could have very easily just let us fumble around for three days and not see a thing. The hunting that week did indeed turn out to be poor.

We showed up the following week with high hopes. We shared the bunk house with Stephens sister, her husband, and two of their friends, all from out of town on an exotic hunt like us. The accomdations were very good. Great kitchen, nice beds, and DirecTV. The first hunt was that evening. One guy saw a blackbuck and some axis, but passed up a shot on the blackbuck (oops). My buddy saw some pigs and shot at but missed one. I saw a couple ewes and nobody else really saw anything.

The next morning we were at it again. One of the girls shot at and missed a ram and everyone else saw a few does, nothing with horns. My friend shot and connected with a twenty or so pound pig. For the second night hunt, my buddy asked to be dropped off near the Aoudad and arrowed a female (they have horns too). I didn't see a thing, and some others saw a few pigs and some small rams.

I'm out here now on the third morning's hunt. Saw a couple WT does and heard some turkeys, couldn't bring them in though. I'll post again if anyone got any thing.

Bottom line: this is a good option if you're on a budget and want a chance at an exotic. While I didn't see a single animal I could have shot, they're out here somewhere and Stephen works his *** off trying to get you something. If you have the cash, I'd recommend going somewhere where there are more success stories. As I said, the accomdations were great. For $550 I would have liked to see something I could have stuck, but I guess that's hunting.

A few things you won't find on the website: you can shoot an axis doe in place of your exotic buck if you want. When you pay for the exotic package, you can shoot anything with horns. He will let you shoot any size blackbuck buck and an axis buck can still be in velvet as long as he is close to being fully tipped out. We had a good time and saw two animals killed between six hunters in three days. Again, if you're on a budget and want a chance, I recommend it, just realize it can be a pretty tough hunt. Any questions just post on here and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Happy Hunting.

Pics?

Comment

Good review... any pigs of the big and audad?

Comment

Any recent reviews on this ranch?

Comment

Originally posted by hogkiller27 View Post
          Any recent reviews on this ranch?
          This^^^^

Comment

Supposedly the guide from before was going to be leaving last month and was wondering how the new guide was.

Comment

I recently got an email from the new guide with a video of a nice 10 Point. I don't live in the area anymore, but nice to see that he is actively seeking out former customers to try to bring them back.

Comment

Good review. Thanks
                I have started hunting out of state more because it is cheaper and Elk and Mule deer are bigger, but am trying some day leases here at home.
                I hope the trend of posting reviews picks up there are a lot of day leases out there.

Comment

Working...
                X