Giving a eulogy - advice and prayers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving a eulogy - advice and prayers

My good friend was killed sunday in a car wreck. I was asked by his mother to deliver the eulogy at his funeral tomorrow. As much as everything inside me doesn't want to do it, I know it is something I must do. I know he would appreciate it, and I feel I owe it to him and his family to honor the life he lived and friendship we had. I have never done this, and would appreciate any advice you guys have. I would also appreciate prayers for strength and courage, and guidance from God on what to say. I know it will be one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do.

Please keep Jacob's family, his wife, and their unborn first child due in 2 weeks in your prayers. Thanks guys

My prayers for their family and for comfort for friends as well, first.
    I won't offer much beyond a small word; write your eulogy down regardless of how you feel now on delivering it. I would try to keep it to 5 minutes or under as well. It will be a difficult experience but one that will reap blessings for yourself and the family.

Comment

Very sorry to hear that, prayers sent.

Comment

I'm so sorry for your tragic loss. I can offer no experience advice. Just would say to speak from your heart and try your best to keep it together and fight thru it so you may honor his memory. Prayers up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What I have done is tell them the story of his life and the man he was. The story you will tell his child when they are old enough. Tell the story you would want told if you were the one that was killed.

Comment

Tell your stories of the experiences you and others had together with him.
            Also what kind of Dad , husband , and friend he was .
            something humorous will always lighten things up a bit .
            hobbies he had may provide some humor also ...
            23rd Psalm may give you a verse or two .

Comment

First of all let me say sorry for your loss. As others have said, it will be tough. I did my grandpas and I made myself right down bullet points I wanted to touch on, so glad I did this. You get up in front of people and between that and your emotions it will be tough. All you can think is you are doing it for your buddy and out of respect for their family. Another thing maybe get with anyone else going to talk just to make sure you both don't say the same things.. Best of luck and again sorry

Comment

talk about the legacy that he has left with you personally. Throw in some humor, some honorable things he has done, and the way he affected people. Dont lie, but dont focus on the bad. It is a hard task, but probably one of the most humbling and rewarding all at the same time.

Comment

Prayers up for Y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Train View Post
                    My good friend was killed sunday in a car wreck. I was asked by his mother to deliver the eulogy at his funeral tomorrow. As much as everything inside me doesn't want to do it, I know it is something I must do. I know he would appreciate it, and I feel I owe it to him and his family to honor the life he lived and friendship we had. I have never done this, and would appreciate any advice you guys have. I would also appreciate prayers for strength and courage, and guidance from God on what to say. I know it will be one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do.

Please keep Jacob's family, his wife, and their unborn first child due in 2 weeks in your prayers. Thanks guys
                    Prayers sent for everyone involved.

Comment

I had to do it and it was hard, but I am glad I did it because no one knew him as I did.

I told about who he was and some of the good times we had together.

Comment

Very sorry for your loss.

Definitely write it down, putting it on paper will help you process your thoughts. Talk about his story, your relationship/experiences, and something interesting/entertaining that he was known for.

Prayers for your strength and comfort for his friends and family.

Comment

So sorry for the loss of your friend Jacob. I am sorry for his widow and the unborn child who will grow up not knowing his father. I suggest keeping Jacob's positive attributes in the forefront and what he meant to you and all who knew him. Speak from the heart and you will do well.

Comment

Prayers bud. I would have to have something written down for sure.

Comment

Use it a chance to bring lost souls that need to be saved to Jesus. Tragic loss such as this moves people to reflect on their own lives. If your were to die today are you secure in the fact that you will go to heaven? Pose that question, and ask people to ask Jesus into their hearts as their Lord in savior. No better way to honor your friend or God. You don't have many opportunities to save someone, you have a platform to save many. My heart hurts for your loss brother, I pray that God gives you the strength to Honor him and your friend. God Bless

Comment

Working...
                              X