Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LabLab

Anyone ever plant it?

Several times. My experience is Unless you outplay your deer or fence them out, they will now it down early and kill it. But it will grow well in leon co. In a cage.

BP

Comment

Planted it last spring and it grew well in Webb Co. But like Big pig mentioned, if you don't plant a large section or fence it in the deer will wipe it out.

Comment

Cowpeas are cheaper and the deer shred those down also. IF it stays wet, the cowpeas will grow all year. Once it turns dry they will bloom, produce seeds, and die. Lablab is supposed to last until a freeze. Side by side the deer preferred the cowpeas. Not given a choice, I'm sure the lablab is better than brush sprouts.

Comment

I planted it once when I was new to spring and summer food plots. Now, I can get 3 sks of peas for the cost of one sk of lablab. The only name brand seed I buy now is Eagle Brand Soybean (because no other even comes close to the amount of forage it puts out) If you want to try something similar to Lablab, you might try planting Iron Clay Peas, along with Purplehull peas or other pea mixes. if my memory serves me, (not like it used to) but I think Lablab was 3 different pea seeds.

Comment

All of the lab lab that I have planted has done well. I bought a bag this year to plant but I'm also planting forage soybeans and a lot of black eyes, milo, and sunn hemp. I plan on fertilizing and I hope it rains.

Comment

Great stuff. I mix it with peas or a deer mix and the deer love it.

Comment

Yes, but in a mix. As deer farmer said, your money will go farther with iron clay peas. Depends on your deer density whether they will mow it down, and also how much natural browse you have. Deer are not one crop feeders. I have had excellent luck getting Eagle beans as well as iron clay peas to produce all summer. You need a good seedbed, proper ph, proper blend and amount of fertilizer, and rain. You can manipulate the first three, good luck or irrigate on the last.

Comment

Working...
                X