Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primos Double Bull and Ameristep Element Ground Blind material questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primos Double Bull and Ameristep Element Ground Blind material questions...

Looking to buy a few ground blinds for next year to upgrade.... more for turkey season but I figured I'd go ahead and get them before deer season too. I will eventually go find somewhere that has them on display or where I can open a box and feel the materials but I figured I'd ask to see if some TBHers had any experience with them before I can get there...... I'm intersted in what you thought of them, their materials and how they held up.

Three blinds I am interested in at this moment are......

Primos Double Bull Deluxe...
    Primos Double Bull bullpen..

The new Ameristep Element...

I've read some great things about all three but my biggest concern about the double bulls is I've heard rumblings that their materials post Primos aren't what they used to be and that some of the lower end models are cheaply made (like the bullpen). I don't know personally, as I've only hunted in DBs made before Primos took over. ClayW had one of the smaller Primos blinds when he was up hunting with us, but I never hunted out of it or was able to touch it.

Can somebody confirm or deny this material rumor about Primos Double Bulls? and how well they hold up?

I have read that Ameristeps blinds are pretty light made material-wise until you step up into the $150 plus models. Sounds like the Element is a much better material and blind than the other AS's and folks seems to like it much better. Anybody have any experience with the Element in the last year or so and how are they holding up?.... comparable to the new double bull materials? Anybody with any Ameristep blind experience at all they'd like to share ?

I guess the bottom line is I don't want to spend old Double Bull money on substandard newer Double Bull materials if that's the case.....I like the Double Bull and the Element's window layouts so I'm neutral there.

Now all that said......These will not be out much. 9-15 days tops in turkey season....as we are usually done after the first two weekends and there will just be spot days/weekends after that initial 9 days. Deer season I don't plan on leaving it out that much since we have four permanent box blinds at our pens..but its possible they will see some away from the feedpen duty. I take real good care of my stuff so I'd like to buy something that will last. I have a Cabelas Predator Den GB, I bought in 2007 for $100-110 and that sucker is still going strong although it's fading a bit. Had it out for a full deer season in 2007....and then just spot deer and turkey weekend duty after that like described above. I used it the first two weekends this year with good success but the corner windows are way to low for me to see well to my sides, so I'd like to upgrade it.

If you zoom in you can see just how low the corner windows are.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1379.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	25146108

Name:	IMG_1381.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	25146109

Name:	Decoys2.jpg
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	25146110

Any experiences or confirmation/denial of the above would be mucho appreciated. Thanks fellas.
    Last edited by Smart; 04-20-2018, 07:23 PM.

I have an ameristep and the material is kinda thin, but it’s not so thin that you can see the small pin holes around the stitching. I honestly don’t remember what model it is but I paid around 100.00 for it at Academy. I will concur that the material of the DB post primos is not as thick as it used to be. I don’t think you can go wrong with either IMO. The next one I want to try out is a Rhino or a Baronett I’ve heard good things about them but never hunted in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the DB double wide. It's been very durable.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
        I have the DB double wide. It's been very durable.

Is that a Primos DB oktx?

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
          I have an ameristep and the material is kinda thin, but it’s not so thin that you can see the small pin holes around the stitching. I honestly don’t remember what model it is but I paid around 100.00 for it at Academy. I will concur that the material of the DB post primos is not as thick as it used to be. I don’t think you can go wrong with either IMO. The next one I want to try out is a Rhino or a Baronett I’ve heard good things about them but never hunted in one.

I think as little as I am going to use them, you are right... but I've also read reports of folks tearing or having them rip at the seams on some of the more economical AS's the first few times out..

Comment

Find you a DB Darkhorse. Best blinds ever made IMO

As a matter of fact, find a few so I can buy another one or 2 [emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              I think as little as I am going to use them, you are right... but I've also read reports of folks tearing or having them rip at the seams on some of the more economical AS's the first few times out..

I set my Ameristep up in the mesquite at our Zavalla County property in Sept and left it all season. When I took it down in January it had no holes or any signs of damage. I’d definitely buy them again. If your wanting heavy duty fabric the Rhino blinds have material very similar to the original DB blinds, but they are more costly than the AS.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post

Sounds like an impossible task.

Comment

Name:	175C56D1-8223-4A4B-90BF-CA82F00EA9E3.jpeg
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	24538143

Jason, I bought the Double Bull Double Wide when they were on sale through Rogers Sporting Goods. I used it three times last deer season. My son arrowed a doe out of it during one sit. Plenty of room. The material is very durable in my opinion. I do not leave it up for more than a few days at a time. Great blind. I would not pay full price for a Double Bull but that’s just me.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                    I set my Ameristep up in the mesquite at our Zavalla County property in Sept and left it all season. When I took it down in January it had no holes or any signs of damage. I’d definitely buy them again. If your wanting heavy duty fabric the Rhino blinds have material very similar to the original DB blinds, but they are more costly than the AS.

That's good news. A few PMs are telling me I need to look at Rhino and Baronett blinds too. I'll give them a look as well...thanks.

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                    [ATTACH]905412[/ATTACH]

Jason, I bought the Double Bull Double Wide when they were on sale through Rogers Sporting Goods. I used it three times last deer season. My son arrowed a doe out of it during one sit. Plenty of room. The material is very durable in my opinion. I do not leave it up for more than a few days at a time. Great blind. I would not pay full price for a Double Bull but that’s just me.
                    Byron....Very nice!

Would you mind telling me what Roger's had them on sale for so I can hope lol..? I used to buy duckshells from them all the time. I am hoping to run into something like that this offseason since I'm in no hurry to buy these.

Comment

Byron....Very nice!

Would you mind telling me what Roger's had them on sale for so I can hope lol..? I used to buy duckshells from them all the time. I am hoping to run into something like that this offseason since I'm in no hurry to buy these.
                      Oh hell I just saw. I think I'mma be sick for missing those...son of a ....LOL..

Comment

Is that a Primos DB oktx?
                        Yes.

Comment

Oh hell I just saw. I think I'mma be sick for missing those...son of a ....LOL..

Ya, It was one of those.....once in a lifetime deals. They may go on sale again though. Normally someone will post about it on here. That was the only way I caught it. I had never heard of Rogers Sporting Goods before that. There were a few guys on here that bought a couple at a time. Maybe someone will sell one.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post

This. They are still made of the old fabric grade. I bought a “smasher” from Cabela’s last year. It is primos/double bulls lower class. Definitely thinner material. It made it up on that tower from August through March when the winds split it. It was 89.00. I guess the big question is whether to buy a 300 blind that should last 3-5 years or 3 89.00 blinds that only last one.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                              This. They are still made of the old fabric grade. I bought a “smasher” from Cabela’s last year. It is primos/double bulls lower class. Definitely thinner material. It made it up on that tower from August through March when the winds split it. It was 89.00. I guess the big question is whether to buy a 300 blind that should last 3-5 years or 3 89.00 blinds that only last one.
                              I don't think the Dark Horse is available anymore Keith...or I probably wouldn't have posted this..

Comment

Working...
                              X