Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jb weld

Comment

I've found the JB Quick is much thicker and does not run like the JB Weld does. I don't now about the difference in strength. If you used the JB Weld and a piece of metal to close the hole, I'd say it would work.

Comment

It is likely not plastic.....it is poly and non of the adhesives mentioned will stick.

Either use a screw and rubber washer or get it welded. If you weren't so far away I could help you with the welding.

Comment

Don't know if you ever got any satisfaction on this, but you probably found out bboswell was right... Chances are it is polyethylene, and I have never found any adhesive that will work on that long term. I am production manager at a plant that custom fabricates water and foam tanks for firetrucks out of plastic. We cut and weld plastics all day, it is what we do. You need that thing welded up, or use the screw with a rubber washer if it is on a flat spot. If you were around here I would do it for you no problem, i have welded lots of gas/deisel tanks.

Comment

My gocart had the gas tank crack along the weld line. I tried adhesives, but they didn't stick. My tank is a polyethylene. I tried to weld it and no matter what I do, I still have a pin hole here or there. I never got it right. I also didn't know what I was doing.

Comment

To weld good, it must be clean and the plastic still in good shape. Scrape the outside of it to remove all the oxidation, and bevel your crack to get good weld penetration. Other than that, it is all heat, time, and pressure, in the right proportions. Sometimes you do run across some plastic that for whatever reason has absorbed some kind of chemical that inhibits the weld sticking. Usually when a weld just really doesn't want to stick it is because the plastic is old and the UV has broken it down. In that case, the plastic melts very fast and turns watery. That is a bad sign. It has a different smell to it also, a bad smell. Good PE will smell like crayons when it melts.

Comment

I was using some PE cups as my welding plastic and a soldering iron for heat.

Comment

Working...
                X