Generator Stopped output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator Stopped output

I have a 8100/6000 watt powermate generator with a 13 hp Honda engine. It starts and runs fine but I hooked up a power tool to it the other day to test it and no electricity. I’ve read where it might have lost its magnetic field.
    Any of you had this happen? Did the spinning of a grinder in reverse work to restore the magnetic field and it start working? I haven’t had time to look at it yet but I hope to on Tuesday. Any input from those of you who have had a generator go dead? Thanks Ferg

Had same thing happen. Never thought it would be that easy for me, but plugged in a drill, turned it a few times, started it up and ran like new.

Comment

Wow. Interesting.
      I had one I overloaded once and it stopped working
      Engine ran fine, but no juice.

Thanks for the education

Comment

Could need a new set of brushes and they fairly cheap and easy to replace.

Comment

Had same thing happen. Never thought it would be that easy for me, but plugged in a drill, turned it a few times, started it up and ran like new.
          Ditto!

Comment

9 times out of 10 it`s the AVR (Automatic voltage regulator ) , although it could be anything from a fuse to brushes to windings . Google how to check your type gen with no output and see ways to check the various parts .

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Hope I get a chance to check tomorrow, today I ran out of time. I have found parts on eBay for it but none from powermate. I’ll test the avr at the same time and see if there is any resistance.

Comment

Working...
              X