Tuning order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning order

What order do you go about as not to mess up what you've already started?

My question because had a shop setup my bow and got it to cut a decent hole through but after I got hope it was clear that the center shot was very off. I straightened up the center shot but now walk back tuning shows the need to move my rest back.

My understanding was setup center shot perfect. Paper tune then super super minor adjustments to the rest for broadhead and walk back tuning???

3 of the 4 bows I have owned I have had to take out of paper tune to broadhead tune. why do you say center shot needed to be moved?
    how do you know your sight simply isn't out of adjustment?
    just because you get a good tear in paper does not mean you have center shot perfect.
    case in point: it would be entirely possible that an over/under spine arrow produce a straight tear with the appropriate amount of shooter induced torque or poor center shot.
    or
    the same could be said for poor vertical rest position or nock point as a certain amount of this can be tuned out be advancing or retarding the cams with certain models.

I take it you hunt, I would let my heads tell me where to tune.

Comment

If the center shot was way out. I would say your arrows are either under or over spined. No way of knowing with out all your specs. Bow, draw, lbs, arrows and tip weight

Comment

That's the other issue is I believe I'm way underspined according to OT2 but I let the pro shop say it was fine.

30" destroyer 350@ 60lb shooting 29" XT hunter 400 spine arrows.

I am basing center shot off lining string up with riser. At 20 yards I'm to the left of the bull at 40 I'm to the right.

Comment

Yes you are under spined. Easy way to test line rest up with string and riser this is a start of center shot. Then shoot arrow through paper. I'm betting tear is to the left. Turn bow down. I'm assuming that 60 is max and you can turn down. This will show you if under spined.

I don't remember what center shot is on the destroyer. You can hold a arrow on the outside of riser and measure to center of string. Then place arrow on rest and measure from arrow on outside of riser to the center of arrow on rest. Set so same measurement at center of string to center of arrow. This will put you at a starting point for center shot

I hope that made since. The eyeball method will also get you very close.

Comment

If you belong to archerytalk. Search for destroyer 350 tuned to perfection by baldyhunter. This will tell you everything you want to know on how to tune the destroyer. You will find out that is one of the best bows out there to tune

Comment

I wish there was a bow shop in existence that knew of true spine need on fast bows. I knew I was right but got convinced otherwise.

Comment

. Where most make the mistake is the 60 lb and they don't think about your 30 draw. I don't know about your area but I bet there is a good one close you just have to find them. Go to the around the camp fire and ask for a shop,close to you and I bet you will get the answer you need

Good luck and happy hunting
                Last edited by enewman; 08-30-2013, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Every chart except on target says a .400 spine is more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                    If you belong to archerytalk. Search for destroyer 350 tuned to perfection by baldyhunter. This will tell you everything you want to know on how to tune the destroyer. You will find out that is one of the best bows out there to tune
                    x2 400 is weak, i shot a d350 your same specs it loved gold tip velocity 300's w 125 tricks

Comment

Center shot on a 350 is string through the center of the grip as a good starting point.
                      Most are charts are a little on the weak side on their ratings. Especially GT imo
                      You could also cut your arrows down to around 27 3/4"-28" to gain a little speed.
                      I shoot a D350 70# 29 1/4" draw with 27" GT velocity 300 and it shoots a bullet hole
                      Last edited by BowTech2010; 08-30-2013, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X