Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upside/downside to buying land in Oklahoma vs. Texas (or other neighboring state)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
      Yessir. You do realize I checked many a deer there. Hunted there from age 8 until 34.

Next bet, I have killed more deer in Oklahoma than OKTX. LOL.
      What counties?

Comment

Choctaw and Push.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

My apologies to the OP for disrupting the thread.

Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by reddogdan View Post
            Out of state hunting license for gun and bow are 600.00 for out of state?

He would own land there.. It wouldn’t be out of state I don’t think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ironically, we used to hunt public land in Oklahoma. There were very few deer. Then they started putting up gates and leasing land. The quality of deer and the numbers improved drastically. Controlled and leased land has always been and will always be far superior for quality of deer. this is why South Texas is far superior to anywhere else in the country, Kansas included.

This has me laughing.... you might want to reconsider telling other people to quit being dumb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Public land is better?

Comment

Mr Burntorange Bowhunter you have done a great job of derailing this thread! I'll try to get it back to the original question that the OP asked. I recently purchased a piece of land in Haskell county, Oklahoma. I live in Texas and own land in Texas. The reason for me buying the land in Oklahoma was because of the price difference in land cost. I could buy 1 acre in Texas or 3 acres in Oklahoma for the same amount of money. Also the taxes were extremely cheaper in Oklahoma. After being on many Texas leases I had had enough with the cost and all the things that go into leasing a place. I like many others have posted had been reading and following Darton's awesome threads about owning and hunting his own piece of property. I thought man this Darton has it figured out! So I thought why can't I do the same thing? So one day after a few weeks after deer season I pm him and off we went. He helped me threw the entire process of purchasing my new piece of land. I couldn't have done any of it without his help! I'm getting to enjoy a wonderful piece of property with my family and friends! It's truly a blessing!

Comment

Because no threads are ever derailed on TBH. I guess thats your opinion. IMO the guy that took shots at Texas deer and the good country folk of our state put the rock on the track.

Comment

Lord have mercy, it never stops...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

N Texas deer are the same as Oklahoma deer, as are east Texas deer. Grayson county dominates the entire state of Oklahoma. South Texas deer are bigger than both. Texas has way more and bigger Mule deer. Our axis deer are bigger than all of them.

The myth about small central Texas deer was back in the 80s because people killed every deer with 8 points. They are overpopulated so most that people see are young small ones. When allowed to grow, while smaller than the other regions, bucks can still hit 170-180 pounds.

Quit being dumb.
                        I agree. I personally laid my hands on 3 bucks last year that were over 220lbs. So, the tiny deer statement is a giant stretch.

Comment

Choctaw and Push.

Thats like me using my buddies ranch in Mason/Llano as the basis for all Texas

Owned three properties in Oklahoma, Cimmeron/Texas, Beckham and Pawnee/Osage. I also have hunted Webb county and been on several other STX counties. Weight wise none have come close to Oklahoma. Score wise on average Oklahoma is higher per mature deer. Top end Overall score wise it’s a tie, Webb had longer beams and more inline points, Oklahoma way more mass and time length. Both offer different hunting styles which I like plus rut and season differences compliment each other. I wouldnt rate one over the other completely different styles and habitat. Price wise it’s a wash when you factor in deer densities. Need more land in Okla compared to STX.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                            I agree. I personally laid my hands on 3 bucks last year that were over 220lbs. So, the tiny deer statement is a giant stretch.
                            Our historical average is 215+-dressed. I’m also on the Kansas border

If I’d only hunted hill country which is almost half the Texas deer herd, I say the same thing, my best friend has 2500 acres in Mason and it’s taken him 10 years to get to 150 -160 on the hoof.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                              Our historical average is 215+-dressed. I’m also on the Kansas border

If I’d only hunted hill country which is almost half the Texas deer herd, I say the same thing, my best friend has 2500 acres in Mason and it’s taken him 10 years to get to 150 -160 on the hoof.
                              I don’t really have a dog in this fight, but this is purely regional and there’s so many variables involved that every person’s opinion is weighted. You are comparing KS deer essentially with an area where the deer are generally the smallest (body size wise) in Texas (hill country). For example, in Sonora our mature deer reach or break 160# on the hoof regularly. This is dependent on the summer range conditions, our supplemental feeding program, time of harvest, etc. What are you compring for your buddy in Mason? Bucks taken peak-rut that have lost weight? How is the supplemental feeding program? How were range conditions? How do all of those variables compare to your okla-kansas deer harvests?

I’m not splitting hairs here, but people always tend to argue apples-to-oranges and there is no right answer. For reference, I guide on a ranch in Johnson City and we harvest bucks in the 210-215 lb range early season. ��

OP, I’m sure you will be beyond pleased to be in Oklahoma. My vote is go for it! ��
                              Last edited by 88 Bound; 07-20-2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                                Thats like me using my buddies ranch in Mason/Llano as the basis for all Texas

Owned three properties in Oklahoma, Cimmeron/Texas, Beckham and Pawnee/Osage. I also have hunted Webb county and been on several other STX counties. Weight wise none have come close to Oklahoma. Score wise on average Oklahoma is higher per mature deer. Top end Overall score wise it’s a tie, Webb had longer beams and more inline points, Oklahoma way more mass and time length. Both offer different hunting styles which I like plus rut and season differences compliment each other. I wouldnt rate one over the other completely different styles and habitat. Price wise it’s a wash when you factor in deer densities. Need more land in Okla compared to STX.
                                So then a small portion of Oklahoma has big Kansas size deer. I get that. Half of my family is from Oklahoma. I liked hunting there. Wish I had a place up where you are because it is more affordable than South Texas.

I only replied to the asinine comment made by one poster.

Sorry but as you can see by the map your antler claims are WAY off....and that doesn't even include high fence deer.

Below is from various articles.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	AAAAdeer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	24546777

9. Texas
                                Entries since 2010: 139
                                Everything is bigger in Texas, even the deer apparently. In all seriousness, the reason Texas is on this list is because it’s such a big state. It’s true, states with larger geographical areas have an advantage. But life isn’t fair, and Texas is in the top 10.
                                Let’s face it, Texas is king when it comes to big typical whitetails. Between Maverick, La Salle, Webb, Dimmit and Kleberg counties, the top five spots posted 58 Booners since 2010. That’s impressive. It isn’t known as much for non-typicals, with Maverick, La Salle, Cooke, Dimmit and Kleberg posting the top spots with 22 entries throughout the last six seasons.
                                If you want big Texas bucks, head for the southwestern part of the state. That’s where you’ll find them. They’re big. And they’re abundant.

Now keep in mind that this does not include high fence deer. If it did Texas would be near #1. Wisconsin is very impressive with over 400 entries. This is since 2010.

And if you don’t mind hunting in a high-fence scenario (Boone and Crockett won’t recognize these trophies), Texas may be your best bet, because when you factor in all the giants taken behind high fences, it nearly certainly produces the most Booner-caliber bucks.
                                Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 07-20-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X