Buddhism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
    That's because, as Christian's, we are called to honor Jesus instructions concerning something called the Great Commission. It was the last command given by Jesus before ascending into heaven. It can be found in the Bible in Matthew 28:16-20 if you want to study it some time.
    Yes I know what it is...I grew up raised Christian. But to knowingly insert information/comments into a conversation that the OP specifically requested not to have made makes it look like trolling, not disciple making. But to each their own I guess. I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
      Worship how you want, but be forewarned, every knee will bow
      Mine will not bow to a middle eastern deity. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
        Please, no Christian advice or endless bible phrases please.

Was in a really interesting conversation today regarding Buddhism and Christianity and it got me thinking....
        Anyone on the Green Screen practice Buddhism or keep it as a side belief ?
        What is a "side belief?"

Comment

Siddartha is a good read, and I can relate to a lot of parallels in my own life. With that being said, I am still a devout and practicing Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoTexan View Post
            I'm curious, if it's against the first precept [in Buddhism] to harm, kill or eat sentient beings as it is the same as harming, killing or eating the flesh of our own child or mother, are there any bow hunters in Buddhism?
            How many of these are broken by Christians on a daily basis?

1.You shall have no other gods before Me.
            2.You shall not make idols.
            3.You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
            4.Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
            5.Honor your father and your mother.
            6.You shall not murder.
            7.You shall not commit adultery.
            8.You shall not steal.
            9.You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
            10.You shall not covet.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
              Can Buddhism and capitalism coexist?
              Can you be both a Buddhist and pure (every man for himself) capitalist?
              Ever tried to negotiate with someone in Vietnam? Buddhism and capitalism are cohabitating well there.

Comment

What an awesome God we have, full of Grace and Forgiveness, who sent his son Jesus to cover 1-10 below. The bible even tell us we are powerless to control our sins, but his Love is never ending.
                Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                How many of these are broken by Christians on a daily basis?

1.You shall have no other gods before Me.
                2.You shall not make idols.
                3.You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
                4.Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
                5.Honor your father and your mother.
                6.You shall not murder.
                7.You shall not commit adultery.
                8.You shall not steal.
                9.You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
                10.You shall not covet.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  What is a "side belief?"
                  You know.... In case the first one doesn't pan out

Comment

Some of the principles and philosophies are very interesting. Definitely some good thinking involved.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      What is a "side belief?"

It’s like a side chick. Great fun, wonderful benefits, very convenient, but WHOA NELLY if your main squeeze finds out!

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                        What an awesome God we have, full of Grace and Forgiveness, who sent his son Jesus to cover 1-10 below. The bible even tell us we are powerless to control our sins, but his Love is never ending.
                        So it's cool to sin everyday, just say you're sorry before you go to bed?

Comment

I spent some time in SE Asia a while ago. Buddhism is a big part of life over there, and was interesting to me. The temples are often the center of the communities and where lots of the youths are educated. Many could speak English well and welcomed the chance to talk to a funny speaking Texan. They didnt convert me, but I was praying to everything holy when I had to ride down the Mekong in that speedboat, in a seat about as big as a shoe box.
                          Attached Files

Comment

If a person masters the eightfold path but doesnt claim to be a Buddhist, do they get to Nirvana?

Comment

I don't because I don't believe man has it within himself to completely overcome the worldly desires such as lust, greed, envy, etc.

One of the core tenants of buddhism (the second noble truth) is to extinguish desire or want. In the first interview with the very first female buddhist monk from Thailand to be ordained into the buddhist priesthood, she was asked if was married and a mom and she said yes, she was. Then she was asked but don’t you live in a temple by yourself and she said yes. Then she was asked do you not see your children. She began to cry. She said I drive myself because I can’t allow a man to drive me and at the end of the day I see my children. It is the hardest part of my day. She was asked so you are on the journey to extinguish the desire to be with your children correct? She didn’t answer. Then lastly she was asked, the dalai lama himself, has as his primary pursuit now the freedom of Tibet correct? She said that is right. Then she was asked, then why or how is it that does he desires that? All she could say was that they try not to get into these philosophical questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                                Worship how you want, but be forewarned, every knee will bow
                                amen

Comment

Working...
                                X