Helicopter Hunting New Zealand Tahr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helicopter Hunting New Zealand Tahr?

By their Government.... Been seeing it all over social media from hunters from there and Austrialia asking for support to stop them from doing some insane level culling.

Was curious if anyone who hunts over there or is over there on here had more info?

The jist I have is the Lady running things is a big leftist and hates hunters but agreeded to give them a chance to help. So she told them to cull 3-5,000 tahr in the most difficult terrain possible in a very short time frame and not to touch the easy access areas that are over run also. Basically setting hunters up for failure so she can send in gunners in helo’s to shoot approximately 17,500 tahr with no plans of getting them off the mountain? However a previous helo survey didn’t show near that many tahr and it seems to be a entirely to high of a number And the governement already began doing the culling last year.

Seems like everyone is in agreement a big culling is needed but hunters are being screwed and set up to fail and the culling being sought for is possibly going to decimate the herds throughout the area.

Anyone have more info? I’ve been wanting to set up a Stag/tahr hunt up in the upcoming years so it caught my eye.

From my understanding that culling has been going on for a long time. They shoot piles of free range red deer from helicopters as well. I meet the guys that do it. I think you have to remember those animals are not native. Lots of countries hate exotics and will try to eradicate them. It’s weird for new Zealand because I would think hunting is a significant source of revenue. It’s also why I chose to hunt a big private ranch for tahr. Where they get shot routinely from helicopters I hear they are pretty spooky. For more examples on exotics just look at how we treat pigs in Texas or look at the ibex in New Mexico.

Comment

I knew feral goats were a big issue over there, didn't realize the deer and Tahr were

Comment

Yes, this lady would like to remove them all. Its a shame. The numbers she is talking about is not a cull, but closer to an elimination. My outfitter in NZ is not happy about it (obviously). The worst part is the complete waste of the animal. I would like to go back some day and hunt Tahr with my bow, but who knows now.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
          From my understanding that culling has been going on for a long time. They shoot piles of free range red deer from helicopters as well. I meet the guys that do it. I think you have to remember those animals are not native. Lots of countries hate exotics and will try to eradicate them. It’s weird for new Zealand because I would think hunting is a significant source of revenue. It’s also why I chose to hunt a big private ranch for tahr. Where they get shot routinely from helicopters I hear they are pretty spooky. For more examples on exotics just look at how we treat pigs in Texas or look at the ibex in New Mexico.
          Isn't it pretty much open season all the time on public lands over there? It seems like I remember reading their hunting laws are extremely loose for the reason of eradication.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
            100% agree with them being exotics and if the country wanted to wipe them out there’s nothing that could be done since they are invasive. As you said I figured since they are so established and I would’ve thought the money that’s brought in from hunters would be a nice revenue source.
            I read somewhere there were more people hunting than playing cricket in New Zealand last year which is great to hear. It just sucks to think a country that has a large source of hunters like New Zealand is still being screwed in these situations when it comes to hunters trying to help. Heck Us and South Africa are probably the only 2 with higher hunting numbers?

I guess it’s a similar situation, just on a much smaller scale, with TPWD and axis on garner state park... At least the meat wasn’t completely wasted in that situation.

Comment

So what is the native species these are hurting?

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                So what is the native species these are hurting?
                Multiple flora species are literally being eaten into oblivion. Most folks totally agree with that.
                The numbers that need to be taken are constantly changing. Yes, a big cull is needed but the figure is.....well......a moving target. [emoji457] I got mine ba k in June and the discussions were quite interesting. Hogs in Texas came to mind.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just came back from hunting there this past July and this lady is not after the Tahr, She wants all - 100% non native animals eradicated period, that includes sheep, cattle etc. She also wants all lands restored to the original state as of 200 years ago. That is all Phase 1, Phase 2 is the people, she only wants native Kiwis to live there. I listen to a 2 hour speech on TV while there and thought to myself, how did Poleski's sister get over there.

Comment

Working...
                  X