No announcement yet.

2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went into West Bay/Choc bay and didn't have much luck on the reefs. Finally ended up at San louis Pass and caught some fish. Yes, I know I look like I'm sipping Tea with my pinky. lol, I was trying to avoid his dorsal fin.

My son had a blast!
    Attached Files

Comment

Nicem was a beautiful weekend. I got spooled for the first time in a about 3 years. Using a smaller spinning reel I use under the lights for specs. Has braid on it something hit it and ran, tightedned drag down as much as I could and the braid didn't break but it didn't stop until it was at the end. This was in the surf. I'm guessing a big jack (it was a fast run not a slow pull). Spool wasn't full all the way because I never use it anything big. Really wish I had bigger reel with more line for that one guessing it pulled 30 yards before I was out of line, maybe 20 yards I'm not sure it wasn't a whole lot but it was fun for a second. My brother in law was right next to me and just laughed at me.
      Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 04-30-2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Oh man the sharkers were out in massive numbers on PINS this weekend. I think it was an Autism Shark tournament? Never the less, my goal was Florida Pompano before the water becomes too warm to be targeted reliably.

Fished two spots, and put in roughly 4 hours before rolling home.

Noted Nick Meyers - Breakaway Tackle USA running up and down the sand making numerous stops. My thought, he was looking for Pomps but some of the setups had sharkers and or lots of Seaweed. Not sure how he fared?

I might have eaten the State Record?

Oh man these fish are awesome at the table!

Conditions could have had just a bit more swell to improve Pompano odds on the 2nd and 3rd bars.

My running buddy. Kept me from rolling to Port Mansfield jetties to chase stuff with the 10 wt fly rod. Maybe next trip he will stay home?

The upper Pomp is Mongo. Both had bellies full of Sargassum swimming crabs - which ride the seaweed and drifting debris in the Gulf. This is why Pompano fishing gets tougher as the summer comes on, water temp goes up and they love these little crabs.

Mongo took up his own aluminum pan - with his tail cut off.
        Going into Apple smoke

And coming out hot and ready to serve.

Mission accomplished! I may make a couple more Pompano dedicated trips before temps get too hot, then it's into the summer season.

Offshore Amberjack this upcoming weekend - more to come!

Comment

After work trip

I went fishing yesterday to a spot that has been pretty good.

Scattered rocks with hard sand bottom. Water clarity was 6', crystal clear water. Calm, rafts of mullet around. Couldn't buy a bite. Saw around 200 sheepshead. Some good sized ones in the mix. Not sure if they are spawning but I thought about going and getting some live shrimp and trying to catch a few. Only fished about an hour.

Got off work this morning and went to the same spot. Wind had picked up to about 15, water was sandy green, visibility about 10", finger mullet scattered.
          Caught 4 trout, all keepers. Fished an hour and called it a day.

Planning on taking the kayak out in the morning. We'll see how it goes.
          Attached Files

Comment

Penn 1338219 Battle II 4000 Spinning Fishing Reel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LDYJ7CO..._oR35AbH9DXH7K

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gpena View Post
              Penn 1338219 Battle II 4000 Spinning Fishing Reel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LDYJ7CO..._oR35AbH9DXH7K

Dang what a deal! I bought 6 of these last year. Good reels. I use the 2500s for in shore they can handle some big fish.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                Dang what a deal! I bought 6 of these last year. Good reels. I use the 2500s for in shore they can handle some big fish.
                Very good deal! I bought one of the 8K and another 3K

Comment

Just looked at amazon. They have all the battle II's at really low prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    Just looked at amazon. They have all the battle II's at really low prices.
                    All about 40-45% off

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                      I went fishing yesterday to a spot that has been pretty good.

Scattered rocks with hard sand bottom. Water clarity was 6', crystal clear water. Calm, rafts of mullet around. Couldn't buy a bite. Saw around 200 sheepshead. Some good sized ones in the mix. Not sure if they are spawning but I thought about going and getting some live shrimp and trying to catch a few. Only fished about an hour.

Got off work this morning and went to the same spot. Wind had picked up to about 15, water was sandy green, visibility about 10", finger mullet scattered.
                      Caught 4 trout, all keepers. Fished an hour and called it a day.

Planning on taking the kayak out in the morning. We'll see how it goes.

Where are you out of? We will be back down to our place in Seadrift Thursday night. Will have the boat in tow and head to Froggies first thing Friday morning.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gpena View Post

Thanks for the link! Just ordered an 8k. I needed one to replace a very, very tired 70’s Mitchell

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                          Where are you out of? We will be back down to our place in Seadrift Thursday night. Will have the boat in tow and head to Froggies first thing Friday morning.

Michael

Seadrift is just down the road from me.
                          PM sent

Comment

The boys and I have enjoyed a good spring. Ready to get back down to POC soon

Comment

Slow for us

went out on Friday, slow 3 keeper trout.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ace340cs; 05-02-2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

We are all packed and loaded to head towards POC when I get off. It’s torture looking at the boat hooked up to the truck on camera in the parking lot but at least we are going and I will be fishing tomorrow morning!

Comment

Working...
                                X