School me on new 1/2 tons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on new 1/2 tons

In the market for a new truck. Want a 1/2 ton 4x4 four door. Not into cheap work trucks, and not into the higher end. Something in the middle without expensive computer components that are going to fail me down the road. Looking to get 10 reliable years out of it.

In between the f150, tundra, or Chevy/gmc 1500. Which one do you like and why? What should I look for in the used truck market?

Make sure you test drive the F150. I have a 2018 XLT Fx4 with almost 40k miles on it.

Positives:
    Drives like a Cadillac.
    Tons of room in it.

Negatives:
    I hate how the 10 speed transmission is constantly shifting.
    The auto start auto stop is very annoying. You have to push the button to turn it off every time you get into the truck. There is no way to bypass it, and no way to make it automatically turn off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a ford man myself and while the other two will certainly suit your needs it's just my preference. In reality they're all so close it does come down to preference and options.

In the ford, I think you'd like the 302a package. It is a fully loaded xlt without leather. Very nicely appointed for quite a bit less than a larriat. Not trying to diminish the larriat as it's a fine truck and extremely well optioned.

The 302a is priced less and usually more room to work with on discounts.

When it comes to doing work which you bought the truck for they're all the same if equipped with the same engine and drive train combo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
        Make sure you test drive the F150. I have a 2018 XLT Fx4 with almost 40k miles on it.

Positives:
        Drives like a Cadillac.
        Tons of room in it.

Negatives:
        The auto start auto stop is very annoying. You have to push the button to turn it off every time you get into the truck. There is no way to bypass it, and no way to make it automatically turn off.

You can turn off the start/stop with a programmer. It will also help with the shifting but of course the good programmers aren’t cheap...

Comment

I just bought my first new truck in 15 years. I drove them all and researched the heck out of em. I ended up going with a Chevy RST Z71 and couldn’t be happier. Super comfortable with all the options. Great discounts and incentives.

Comment

Originally posted by AgTag23 View Post
            In the market for a new truck. Want a 1/2 ton 4x4 four door. Not into cheap work trucks, and not into the higher end. Something in the middle without expensive computer components that are going to fail me down the road. Looking to get 10 reliable years out of it.

In between the f150, tundra, or Chevy/gmc 1500. Which one do you like and why? What should I look for in the used truck market?
            If you are in the market for a new truck, you won’t find one without all the expensive computer components. Even the work trucks have lots of that stuff. Heck there isn’t a vehicle made nowadays without computer components and electronics. Other than that you can’t go wrong with any of the 3 you mentioned. Asking 10 years is doable but I don’t think you’ll get that many years without some type of issues

Comment

I just traded a '14 F150 for a '17 Tundra. Both cab and half, 4wd, basic trucks. I've always had good luck with F150's. But this last one was a headache on multiple fronts. Looking forward to the Tundra experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                You can turn off the start/stop with a programmer. It will also help with the shifting but of course the good programmers aren’t cheap...
                Or you can plug a trailer light harness (bobbed off) into the trailer lights connection at the rear bumper so that it thinks there is a trailer hooked up-supposedly prevents the start/stop from occurring.

Comment

Auto stop elimination

Originally posted by futureagg View Post

Positives:
                  Drives like a Cadillac.
                  Tons of room in it.

Negatives:

$89 on the internet, my Silverado didn’t come with auto stop
                  But when I get a new truck I’ll get one they cover both ford and gmc

This Autostop Eliminator is for Chevy Silverado 1500 model years 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, & 2024. Autostop Eliminator disables ESS system on a Chevy truck
                  Attached Files

Comment

I hadn't planned on buying a new truck, but made the mistake of driving a new Z71 Trail Boss yesterday. They're tinting the windows tomorrow then I'll pick it up. Time will tell, but the reviews are good and you can get a great deal on a 2019 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                      I unplugged one wire under the steering column/dash, it turned auto stop off completely.

I just have to plug wire back in when I hook up a trailer.

Comment

I have always been a Ford man but last week I traded my 10 F-150 for a Tundra. I also keep a truck a long time and use it. I like it so far

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                          Or you can plug a trailer light harness (bobbed off) into the trailer lights connection at the rear bumper so that it thinks there is a trailer hooked up-supposedly prevents the start/stop from occurring.
                          Or just buy a four flat tester and plug it in. It does turn it off but counts the tow mileage if that matters to you?

I personally love the 10 speed trans! Stays in the power band and tows great.

Comment

I have a F150 XLT and sold my Chevy 1500. Bought my first Tundra last year and it’s by far the best truck I have owned.

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                              X