Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #51
Hunt life
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wilson / gonzales county

Rut is picking up boys!!! Me and the wife sat tonight and had two bucks fighting and a hot doe getting chased in circles 70 yards in front of us!!! We had a big buck out in front of us all the way till dark, wife couldn't get a clear shot and light was fading quick with the overcast above. We will be at it in the morning 2nd evening in a row we have seen this big deer he was locked on this doe chasing her every chance he got.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Hunt life is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #52
whopper1800
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt life View Post
Rut is picking up boys!!! Me and the wife sat tonight and had two bucks fighting and a hot doe getting chased in circles 70 yards in front of us!!! We had a big buck out in front of us all the way till dark, wife couldn't get a clear shot and light was fading quick with the overcast above. We will be at it in the morning 2nd evening in a row we have seen this big deer he was locked on this doe chasing her every chance he got.

Good Luck! Hope your wife gets him. Yíallís taxidermy bill gonna be steep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whopper1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #53
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper1800 View Post
Good Luck! Hope your wife gets him. Yíallís taxidermy bill gonna be steep!

10 4 we were just talking about that, this one is looking like he will need to be mounted! Let's see what happens hopefully he stays near by with this doe. Crazy evening for sure. We got down well after light went out as quiet as possible. Praying to the good lord conditions are good in the morning.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #54
whopper1800
Six Point

Should be good! Go gettem

Old 11-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #55
RattlesnakeDan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Yes, they were hot tonight! Had a young 8, I call him Acorn 8 because he has knobs on the end of his tines that look like acorns. He all but disappeared when bow season started and showed back this afternoon chasing a doe for 2 hours nonstop. Had an easy shot on him too but just not the deer I am looking for. It was a fun evening.
RattlesnakeDan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #56
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
Yes, they were hot tonight! Had a young 8, I call him Acorn 8 because he has knobs on the end of his tines that look like acorns. He all but disappeared when bow season started and showed back this afternoon chasing a doe for 2 hours nonstop. Had an easy shot on him too but just not the deer I am looking for. It was a fun evening.
Heck yea they were fired up. The big buck I seen tonight have only seen him once and it was yesterday moving quickly. Today I got a clear look through the binos and I have to say , he was good

Old 11-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #57
whopper1800
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I aint got no backyard and got the buck in the garage tied up, waiting for the rut to start so I can turn him loose.

You will know to turn him loose when his tarsals turn black and your garage smells like 20 tomcats made scrapes in it!

Old 11-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #58
sendit
Ten Point

Quote:
Shot this buck on the 17th, didnt seem like he was in full rut yet he was pushed a doe but like I said nothing like I've seen years past. Trying to get the wife and son on a buck well just have to wait and see what the rest of this week and weekend might bring huh.

That's a dandy 8pt'r right there. Is that a Wilson County buck? How many acres are you hunting on
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #59
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post
That's a dandy 8pt'r right there. Is that a Wilson County buck? How many acres are you hunting on
Yes it is, 14ac backed up to 300+ that I have access to mostly un hunted land behind me and next to me. land owner behind me grew up in the house I currently live in really great guy.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #60
Hunt life
Eight Point

Very un eventful morning. Un like yesterday evening we saw zero deer all morning crazy! Camera was pretty active at night few does and some younger bucks. Heard two shots early in the hunt not to far off, hoping big buck shows up this afternoon.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #61
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandora

I sat in blind yesterday for 6 hours total. Morning activity is slow but evening is good. We got a pretty big moon out too. Lots of acorns.

I have one set up in the middle of 50 acres of post oaks, a 32 ft pen with protein, corn and water. Last evening at 5 I had 7 does in the feed pen with two legal bucks. One buck is 8 point 13-14 inch and a 10 point 15-16 inch both are typical Wilson county deer(young and will both die soon) neither buck was chasing and no necks are swollen. I’m not interested in taking either one but I like to watch them.

This morning the 10 point showed up and chased a yearling within 5 yards of me. I believe we are still a few days or a week away from full rut. I hope the 10 point breeds a few before the neighbors take him out.

Last edited by Radar; 11-09-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #62
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Over in Bexar the bucks haven’t been chasing just yet but have been responsive to grunts and rattling.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #63
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Over in Bexar the bucks havenít been chasing just yet but have been responsive to grunts and rattling.
Everything left my feed pen at 8 am this morning, Iím just pecking on Tbh now :
Old 11-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #64
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Have not seen a single deer today. Shot clean over a big doe yesterday. Camera on this location shows no action until around 845am
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #65
Radar
Pope & Young

Iím gonna get me a beer and fry an egg
Old 11-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #66
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Have not seen a single deer today. Shot clean over a big doe yesterday. Camera on this location shows no action until around 845am
Well David missed a 9 point yesterday evening with his crossbow, this morning was slow. We had two Doe come in early and a few spiked shortly afterwards. Then as we decided to get down and got to the ground, we had a very big wide 8 chasing a few doe finnaly made his way in front of us ran straight In to the feeder wife couldn't get a shot sitting on the ground. she had the rifle on her knee and he was on a mission!

Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #67
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I sat in blind yesterday for 6 hours total. Morning activity is slow but evening is good. We got a pretty big moon out too. Lots of acorns.

I have one set up in the middle of 50 acres of post oaks, a 32 ft pen with protein, corn and water. Last evening at 5 I had 7 does in the feed pen with two legal bucks. One buck is 8 point 13-14 inch and a 10 point 15-16 inch both are typical Wilson county deer(young and will both die soon) neither buck was chasing and no necks are swollen. Iím not interested in taking either one but I like to watch them.

This morning the 10 point showed up and chased a yearling within 5 yards of me. I believe we are still a few days or a week away from full rut. I hope the 10 point breeds a few before the neighbors take him out.
Wow I've been noticing the exact same! Morning are slow evenings are on fire seen 6 bucks yesterday one being a nice 9 point my son clean missed, he bad the buck fever!

Old 11-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #68
animalhse
Eight Point

Hunt In: wilson co. & public lands

I havenít seen much activity yet this year. Iíve only been hunting mornings and does are passing by cool as cucumbers. Last year it was around the 12th for my area. I usually see them chasing in the fields around here and havenít even seen that yet Iím going to just keep an eye out. (North of Stockdale) good luck!

animalhse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #69
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalhse View Post
I havenít seen much activity yet this year. Iíve only been hunting mornings and does are passing by cool as cucumbers. Last year it was around the 12th for my area. I usually see them chasing in the fields around here and havenít even seen that yet Iím going to just keep an eye out. (North of Stockdale) good luck!

7th 8th and 9th were very active in the 3432 area. Three mature never seen on camera bucks chasing doe hard. All three days we seen shooters chasing. Yesterday evening did not see one deer. It's a very weird pattern this year but this front coming we hope gets them up again moving.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #70
animalhse
Eight Point

Hunt In: wilson co. & public lands

I saw a couple of bucks on the hoof last week Iíd not seen before but no real chasing going on.
I agree with you that hopefully the cold snap will flip the switch. Weíll see! Itíll be fun in the stand at least! Good luck to you!

animalhse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #71
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalhse View Post
I saw a couple of bucks on the hoof last week Iíd not seen before but no real chasing going on.
I agree with you that hopefully the cold snap will flip the switch. Weíll see! Itíll be fun in the stand at least! Good luck to you!

Good luck to you as well, my wife and son are the hunters so well see if I can help them connect.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #72
RattlesnakeDan
Eight Point

Not one deer to be seen this morning but the acorns were falling like rain drops.
Yesterday I had a little spike 15' away under my tree, but just couldn't draw on him, barely make a good sandwich.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #73
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
Not one deer to be seen this morning but the acorns were falling like rain drops.
Yesterday I had a little spike 15' away under my tree, but just couldn't draw on him, barely make a good sandwich.
This little cool front should help!

Old 11-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #74
Hunt life
Eight Point

Anyone hunting this weather? Wife and I were out this morning, had alot of fun sitting up against a tree had a doe with a good buck locked on her all morning and 3 smaller bucks as well. We couldn't get a shot maybe we will this evening.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #75
haas0311
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Floresville and anywhere invited!

Quote:
Anyone hunting this weather? Wife and I were out this morning, had alot of fun sitting up against a tree had a doe with a good buck locked on her all morning and 3 smaller bucks as well. We couldn't get a shot maybe we will this evening.

I like to judge the rut in Wilson county by travelling FM 775 from 181 to LV. More than 5 dead deer on the road is a sure sign the rut is happening, lol!
haas0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #76
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by haas0311 View Post
I like to judge the rut in Wilson county by travelling FM 775 from 181 to LV. More than 5 dead deer on the road is a sure sign the rut is happening, lol!
Yea that's surely saying something havent seen that yet just went to town yesterday and no dead ones yet

Old 11-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #77
haas0311
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yea that's surely saying something havent seen that yet just went to town yesterday and no dead ones yet

We got some images of bucks with their ears laid flat and hair bristled though.. It should be soon for sure!
Old 11-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #78
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
We got some images of bucks with their ears laid flat and hair bristled though.. It should be soon for sure!
The rut is surely in seen this buck today attempt to mount the doe he was following.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #79
haas0311
Pope & Young

I am hoping to get out to our lease on Monday and Tuesday.. going to be sitting in a tree for the day, lol.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #80
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
I am hoping to get out to our lease on Monday and Tuesday.. going to be sitting in a tree for the day, lol.
Good luck is it in Wilson county?

Old 11-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #81
haas0311
Pope & Young

Yea. we have one place we go to near Dewes and one place outside of Floresville. Sometimes we hunt my grandparents place in La Vernia.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #82
whopper1800
Six Point

hunted every eve this week- does running around like idiots but bucks just sniffing around as of yest. Tons of acorns - VERY little interest in corn- some walked right over it

Old 11-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #83
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

I am in Karnes county just south of Falls city and they arenít rutting yet. Should be any day now based on previous years.

TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #84
RattlesnakeDan
Eight Point

Quote:
That is where I live. We get a lot of deer killed out here, maybe 6 fawns this year besides the bucks and does.
My big boys disappeared so I managed to pop a spike at the feeder the other day in the wind with mama's crossbow at 40 yards, the arrow drifted about 4" but still manged a quick kill. First time with a crossbow, kinda fun.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #85
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
That is where I live. We get a lot of deer killed out here, maybe 6 fawns this year besides the bucks and does.

My big boys disappeared so I managed to pop a spike at the feeder the other day in the wind with mama's crossbow at 40 yards, the arrow drifted about 4" but still manged a quick kill. First time with a crossbow, kinda fun.
Nice! Congrats. We have had action on and off, today we had crazy action as the light drizzling and cold temps this morning we watched a big buck gaurd a doe as 3 small bucks tried to get at her. We never could get a clean shot we crawled around for about 1.5hr trying to get set up on them and no shot. We just got in now from the tree and seen one small 4 point chase 3 Doe around and that was it. Guess we will see tomorrow afternoon, back to work in the morning good luck to all

Old 11-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #86
Hunt life
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper1800 View Post
hunted every eve this week- does running around like idiots but bucks just sniffing around as of yest. Tons of acorns - VERY little interest in corn- some walked right over it

Where are you located in Wilson

Old 11-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #87
whopper1800
Six Point

Quote:
Where are you located in Wilson

Between Poth & Stockdale-

Old 11-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #88
whopper1800
Six Point

Think my does are either ugly or lesbians!

Old 11-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #89
RattlesnakeDan
Eight Point

Good luck guys. I believe the bigger bucks are locked down with the does right now, not moving but a few yards at a time.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #90
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Yep the second rut is going on now. The first one was about the 10th of October.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #91
whopper1800
Six Point

Quote:
Good luck guys. I believe the bigger bucks are locked down with the does right now, not moving but a few yards at a time.

I concur! Havenít seen any of my better bucks in a few days.