Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
Nelson
Six Point

Default Real deer hunting cost

So I ran the hard math this morning to see what my $ was per year on deer hunting. Super scary for a person like myself that makes a good living to have almost 19% of my income go to deer hunting. I have been hunting for 40 years and to tell you the truth it doesn't have the appeal as when I was 20 or 30 or 40. Been their done that. I love firearms and will always shoot but the cost is weighing heavily on me to retire within the next 30 years.

First year sense I was 16 that I didn't bow hunt except for a co elk trip. First year I went to fill feeders which we have 18 with no help last weekend. Every year everyone invites their self to opening weekend of rifle.

It's hard to keep a place with everything going without passion.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Nelson
Six Point

Thank God for whiskey. Do the math and ask if your ready for that number. Most can't aford it and I guess I figured that out this morning.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
So I ran the hard math this morning to see what my $ was per year on deer hunting. Super scary for a person like myself that makes a good living to have almost 19% of my income go to deer hunting. I have been hunting for 40 years and to tell you the truth it doesn't have the appeal as when I was 20 or 30 or 40. Been their done that. I love firearms and will always shoot but the cost is weighing heavily on me to retire within the next 30 years.

First year sense I was 16 that I didn't bow hunt except for a co elk trip. First year I went to fill feeders which we have 18 with no help last weekend. Every year everyone invites their self to opening weekend of rifle.

Nelson, if my wife sees this.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Hunting doesn’t have to be that expensive. It does to have an opportunity to take a nice buck or an opportunity at several different critters. But just to enjoy a deer stand on public land is relatively cheap. You more than likely won’t be covered up in deer, but you will be i. A stand enjoying gods creations
Jcjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Well you have to know your limits , putting up with all the BS and cost
Attached Images

pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
texan16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

When it gets to be all work and its not fun anymore, I guess it would be time to give it up. Never thought about how much it cost because we enjoy it. I hear what you are saying though, guess there is a time down the line when it just isnt fun any more..........but I aint got there yet.
texan16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 06:43 PM   #7
kc5rkg
Eight Point

Hunt In: South TX

Spending time at the lease with my Pops and friends is priceless.
kc5rkg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
skinsfan
Six Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

All you need is a piece of ground in a few bags of corn, I think sometimes we over complicate things!
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
awry
Eight Point

Jeff Foxworthy video covering this topic

awry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #10
ddcainjr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

I don't need this type of negativity in my life!

Mods, please delete this thread before my wife sees it!
ddcainjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #11
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

I will be scaling back next year. I pay for two memberships and having to maintain four hunting areas and keep feeders going year round by myself has gotten to be way too much work. Not to mention maintaining the hunting areas on my private property and my camp and camp area.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #12
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

It doesn't have to be expensive. I pay $1750 year round with 6 large lakes. 5 people on a thousand acres in Mills County. And spend about a grand on fuel and food.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
DarrellS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #13
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

I think like most hobbies, start up costs can be expensive, but once you get your setup, don't change it for a decade or two.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 07:49 PM   #14
joey1656
Eight Point

Hunt In: avoyelles parish louisiana

I pay about 6% of our total gross income.
joey1656 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:00 PM   #15
camoclad
Eight Point

Hunt In: central tx

The lease arrangement I was on involved back breaking work for the small return. I was loosing passion. Then I started really doing the upfront work of research and pre scouting from my office, applying for quality public hunts, making the few hunts I do pay dividends (memories and success). I have land too, it doesn't control me though and I scratch the land manager itch while building on my investment. Working for now... itll change someday I'm sure.
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:04 PM   #16
gneimeth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rosanky and Big Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcainjr View Post
I don't need this type of negativity in my life!

Mods, please delete this thread before my wife sees it!
This did make me chuckle even though this thread has some valid points/aspects
gneimeth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:05 PM   #17
Lawhorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: S.Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #18
TxLonghorn
Spike

I calculated the per pound cost of deer....never again

If prices go up any more I may be out on hunting. I enjoy it but may not be able to justify the price.

If you assume 1-2k lease and 1-2k gas/trips/etc. throw in 300-500 in for animal processing. You can easily get up to the make thousands of dollars
TxLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:14 PM   #19
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

I’m glad I have family land to hunt. We don’t feed yr round etc... If I had to pay for a lease and all the other stuff I would probably bow out of hunting. Heck I’m almost there now. We are MLD and I have no desire to hunt. About the only time I will go is when they are coming to the horns. Sitting in a box staring at a feeder bores me to death now days.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #20
Payne346
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLonghorn View Post
I calculated the per pound cost of deer....never again

If prices go up any more I may be out on hunting. I enjoy it but may not be able to justify the price.

If you assume 1-2k lease and 1-2k gas/trips/etc. throw in 300-500 in for animal processing. You can easily get up to the make thousands of dollars

Good post here...donít think any of us will ever be able to justify the cost for sure. We all do it because we love the things involved with hunting. Itís the cooking, friends, having a few adult beverages at the camp. You only live once, enjoy this and enjoy the outdoors, family and friends.
Payne346 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:22 PM   #21
Frederick D. Be
Eight Point

Hunt In: USA

An addiction can be a good thing....taken in moderation of course
Frederick D. Be is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #22
Shu
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction

I don’t keep receipts for anything I buy. I don’t want to know the total of what I have spent this year.
Shu is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:33 PM   #23
MisterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I ain’t never seen an armored car backed up to a grave. Who will spend your money when you pass on? I’m gonna hunt as long as I am able. You have to have some quality of life. Do what “pleases you” while you can, as long as you don’t put your family in jeopardy. My attitude has changed since I was diagnosed with prostate surgery, had a hip replaced, and am scheduled for heart surgery next month. And, I am going to the lease with my son and grandson next week and plan to spend as much time in a stand as my wore out old butt will stand it. Cheers
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:34 PM   #24
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne346 View Post
Good post here...donít think any of us will ever be able to justify the cost for sure. We all do it because we love the things involved with hunting. Itís the cooking, friends, having a few adult beverages at the camp. You only live once, enjoy this and enjoy the outdoors, family and friends.
I agree with every thing except you only live once. You only die once...you live everyday make it count
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #25
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I am blessed to have two really sweet family places and a free hog hunting area. It only costs me corn and time. I understand how lucky I am to be able to have opportunities at pretty good animals each year, and I thank the Lord for them.
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #26
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I went from a lease to buying my own place. What I used to spend per year for a lease, I now spend every 3 weeks owning my own place. And you know what, f it. I love to deer hunt.

Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:41 PM   #27
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Quote:

Been there done that. Cost me 10 years of zero hunting. Just now starting to hunt again. Ran a big lease in the Hill Country for 21 years. I just lost it and wanted nothing to do with hunting.
When you pull up to the gate and see nothing but work on the other side it is time to switch gears.............
Johnny Dangerr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #28
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

I am lucky but at what cost do you say your sanity and well being is worth what you are spending?
I have a very small lease fee and only 1 1/2 hour drive so I am lucky but what would most if you do if you did not hunt like you do now? Venison is very expensive in comparison to anything you get from a grocery, but why look at it that way ESPECIALLY if you are introducing your kids to the benefits if the outdoors.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #29
GA Bowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

Deer hunting is cheap.

I've never spent a penny on feed.
I've never spent a penny on a trail cam.
Have had my stands for 30 + years.
I hunt in whatever clothes I happen to be wearing.
I've owned two 4 wheelers. Bought them used, kept them several years and sold them for more than I paid for them.
The last time I was on a lease was almost 30 years ago(I hunt on land we develop/build, land I own or public land).
I bought a lifetime hunting/fishing license a long time ago.
Have a bunch of guns that I would own whether I hunted or not.

Basically the only thing I spend money on for hunting these days is fuel to get there and back, vacuum bags for cutting them up, Permanon, and arrows/broad heads/ammunition every few years.

I do need a new bow. I'll get one next year. I'm not looking forward to dropping that kind of coin on a stick and a string, but I figure that bow should last me 10-15 years and that's about how long I'll last if I'm lucky.
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #30
geezer56
Six Point

Hunt In: Georgia

Amen on the can't take it with you. I will always cherish the time I get to spend with my son and grandkids at the hunt camp. The experiences and time together is worth more than any inheritance I could leave them.
geezer56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #31
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Have grandkids! Then it doesn't really matter anymore to Nana. Nana this gun is for Michael. Oh ok no problem. Nana we need to get the mule fixed so everone can ride around. Oh ok no problem.
You get the idea
Your home free!
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #32
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

I see my hunting costs the same as a vacation.
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:16 PM   #33
JB_Archery
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico & Arizona

I feel like I pay all that money to stay sane... without the getaway the city and corporate job would eat me up! If I can afford it I’m going to hunt and raise my kids in it!
JB_Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #34
asu-indian
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

I spend about $550 a year on hunting. Are you online tonight honey?
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:24 PM   #35
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
Deer hunting is cheap.

I've never spent a penny on feed.
I've never spent a penny on a trail cam.
Have had my stands for 30 + years.
I hunt in whatever clothes I happen to be wearing.
I've owned two 4 wheelers. Bought them used, kept them several years and sold them for more than I paid for them.
The last time I was on a lease was almost 30 years ago(I hunt on land we develop/build, land I own or public land).
I bought a lifetime hunting/fishing license a long time ago.
Have a bunch of guns that I would own whether I hunted or not.

Basically the only thing I spend money on for hunting these days is fuel to get there and back, vacuum bags for cutting them up, Permanon, and arrows/broad heads/ammunition every few years.

I do need a new bow. I'll get one next year. I'm not looking forward to dropping that kind of coin on a stick and a string, but I figure that bow should last me 10-15 years and that's about how long I'll last if I'm lucky.

We live in a different part of the world apparently
Old 10-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #36
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
It doesn't have to be expensive. I pay $1750 year round with 6 large lakes. 5 people on a thousand acres in Mills County. And spend about a grand on fuel and food.

Finding a decent lease for under $10 per acre is not common.

And most people don't add in deer corn, protein, attractants like blocks, trail cameras, feeders, batteries, deer blinds. where or what they stay in, electricity, water, what they use to get around the ranch (that comes with all sorts of costs), .... This list could go on forever..like panels to keep hogs or cows away from feeders, fixing the camper or house.

I left out hunting supplies and work/labor on purpose. Some people like the work and you'll need the hunting supplies if you lease, hunt public, or do a day hunt.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #37
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post

And most people don't add in deer corn, protein, attractants like blocks, trail cameras, feeders, batteries, deer blinds. where or what they stay in, electricity, water, what they use to get around the ranch (that comes with all sorts of costs), .... This list could go on forever..like panels to keep hogs or cows away from feeders, fixing the camper or house.

I left out hunting supplies and work/labor on purpose. Some people like the work and you'll need the hunting supplies if you lease, hunt public, or do a day hunt.
Not if you already own Them
Old 10-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #38
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

I don't spend a lot on hunting. I do spend a lot of money on hunting-related stuff though. I have a great lease that isn't cheap. It's loaded with critters. I can't eat everything I need to kill every year. I give away a lot of venison to friends who need help. I take friends hunting when I know they need meat and/or if I know they need some time away from life's stresses to hang out with God and talk to somebody. I get to spend some precious time in the woods with my aging dad while we hunt. I get to make some lifelong memories with my son while we're hunting. And bringing home some free range organic grass-fed venison from God's grocery store for my own freezer is pretty awesome too.

I absolutely love to hunt, so it's money well-spent for me. I spend a lot more on it now than I used to, but I probably spend a smaller percentage of my income on it now (5% or less). It's not hurting my finances. I spend a lot of time doing it too - and that's more valuable than money. What I get from all of the time and money in return is priceless.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:47 PM   #39
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post

Only a grand on food and fuel? You donít go to the lease very much or live very close to camp. How much for corn?
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #40
HTOWN
Four Point

Hunt In: ROCKSPRINGS

Reminded me of when I shot a big bull nilgai, for free on my buddies place. After the 900dollars for the mount, 600 bucks for a new, bigger freezer, and 800 bucks at the meatmarket... my wife was like, free huh lol
HTOWN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #41
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

If it’s your passion no need to worry about the cost . You only live once and life is short go enjoy what you love .
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 09:59 PM   #42
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
I ainít never seen an armored car backed up to a grave. Who will spend your money when you pass on? Iím gonna hunt as long as I am able. You have to have some quality of life. Do what ďpleases youĒ while you can, as long as you donít put your family in jeopardy. My attitude has changed since I was diagnosed with prostate surgery, had a hip replaced, and am scheduled for heart surgery next month. And, I am going to the lease with my son and grandson next week and plan to spend as much time in a stand as my wore out old butt will stand it. Cheers
This right here. After four heart attacks and a couple of other brushes with disaster I know for a fact you gotta enjoy each day.
We have a 230 acre ranch and I have a lease. If I have to work til the day I die to pay for all of I will still enjoy it.

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 10:00 PM   #43
Ungawa
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcjohnson View Post
We live in a different part of the world apparently
True.
Ungawa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 10:03 PM   #44
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I hunt three different places and it’s nice to be able to do that. It doesn’t take much figuring though to know that I could give one of them up and go to T4 Exotics 2/3 times a year for what I spend on that particular place. This may be the year I give that place up......
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 10:11 PM   #45
bk913
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tom Green county

It’s not a cheap hobby and it’s not for everybody. I do think what has become considered as “must haves” for Texas hunting is pretty ridiculous.
bk913 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #46
Hunting4fun
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcjohnson View Post
Not if you already own Them
Own what? What are you getting at?
Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #47
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Stands, gear, huntin license, processing equipment. Stuff
Like that buddy
Old 10-29-2019, 11:20 PM   #48
doublearrow
Ten Point

Quote:

Seem self inflicted. Make it simple. Why fill 18 feeders? If no one is helping no sense in having them a place to hunt. Set yourself up a couple of set ups and go on. And to make it even less do spot and stalk hunting. No feeders to fill, blinds to maintain, lanes to clear ect. Just spend your time out there enjoying it and not slaving away on stuff thats not neccesarily needed.

I did 2 separate 10 day out of state hunts this year. 10 days in alaska hunting caribou and 10 days in colorado hunting elk. It cost me 3k for both trips combined. 20 days of hunting in awesome places with buddies.
In 2 weeks i will get to take my son on a texas youth hunt. 48 dollar public land permit and fuel to san angelo.

Last edited by doublearrow; 10-29-2019 at 11:23 PM.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2019, 11:25 PM   #49
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post

Iím very fortunate that I donít pay for a lease and hunt my dads properties but Itís still a big expense.

This year is the first year I will get off cheap because I am building a house.

3 years ago
8k new AC and camp expansion
2k dozer work
2500 deer blind
2k feed
2k fuel, feeders and general hunting supplies
850 mount and processing

2 years ago
3k deer blind
2k dozer work
2k feed
2k fuel, and general hunting supplies
I also spent 9k on one rifle, mounts and glass
850 mount and processing

Last year
700 new feeder and new motor
2k dozer work
2k feed
2k fuel, and general hunting supplies
I also spent 4K on rifle as glass
2018 Polaris ranger 1000
1500 mount and processing

This year
2k dozer work
2k feed
2k fuel and general hunting supplies
Another 5k on new rifle and glass

That doesnít count the 75k I spent on a truck to get me back and forth to the ranch in 2017 along with the maintenance driving 9k to 10k per year for the truck.

Thatís just deer hunting not including the duck hunting.

Black Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #50
Nelson
Six Point

Mine comes close to 14k if you caculate trip cost. Last year with improvements to to the housing it was doubled. $30,000

I am cool with just a road feeder and a truck. It's only me and two friends on a rather large place in the hill country. Bring on other people would help cut that cost.

I will never buy hunting land. My brother did that and I have witnessed every penny being dumped into it. He should be reteired a long time ago. Like 10 years ago.