TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bowlife View Post
    I'm getting a German shepherd pup in about 8 weeks. Has anyone ever used one to track deer? They seem to have great noses, they are used as drug and bomb sniffing dogs. I know that I will have to socialize the crap out of him, but he should make a good tracking dog. I just think it's weird that I don't see anyone using one. Am I missing something?
    Seems like they'd be good at tracking, on a good fresh trail for sure. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with the potential protective agrression instinct, nor make a hunter/customer even remotely nervous. I had a bluetick that got aggressive at the deer carcass 1 time, (unusual, I know) scared the hunter and embarrassed me. I got rid of him the next day, even though I had 2 years invested in him. I think he's hunting bears up in Idaho.

Just about any dog will make a tracker with training, fairly fresh trails, and experience. Well...probably not a ShihTzu, but you know what I mean. I contemplated getting a full size poodle a while back just to prove the point, and because I'd like the quirky looking photos with dead deer, and then people saying, "Uh, is that a poodle?"

Comment

Put Delta on a little mock trail this evening for a warm up. 700 yards via the gps with 4 or 5 turns and she nailed it. Aged 3 hours in the 100 degree heat and she ran into axis and bb but never missed a beat. I was thinking she would trash on the hot trail of the axis as they ran right in front of her and across the blood but she just looked and put her head back down. Shes turning into a heck of a dog.

Comment

Ester has found 6 hogs for me so far.
        I expect she is going to be a fine dog by next spring.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2760.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	24507219

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
          [ATTACH]869540[/ATTACH]
          Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
            [ATTACH]869540[/ATTACH]
            Congrats Buff. Going to be weird not seeing pics of Bagley tracking! How do you think Ester will do with the baying/catching?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                Seems like they'd be good at tracking, on a good fresh trail for sure. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with the potential protective agrression instinct, nor make a hunter/customer even remotely nervous. I had a bluetick that got aggressive at the deer carcass 1 time, (unusual, I know) scared the hunter and embarrassed me. I got rid of him the next day, even though I had 2 years invested in him. I think he's hunting bears up in Idaho.

Just about any dog will make a tracker with training, fairly fresh trails, and experience. Well...probably not a ShihTzu, but you know what I mean. I contemplated getting a full size poodle a while back just to prove the point, and because I'd like the quirky looking photos with dead deer, and then people saying, "Uh, is that a poodle?"
                Hahah! The poodle pics would be hilarious!
                I think my most important job, even before training to blood track, is going to be socializing him. My plan is to take him everywhere as a puppy to meet as many people and other dogs as possible. I need him to be comfortable walking around on his own with other people and animals.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                  Congrats Buff. Going to be weird not seeing pics of Bagley tracking! How do you think Ester will do with the baying/catching?
                  Her Mom is a Pro Level Bay Pen competition dog. Will catch when the opportunity is right. Smartest dog I've owned.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowlife View Post
                    Hahah! The poodle pics would be hilarious!
                    I think my most important job, even before training to blood track, is going to be socializing him. My plan is to take him everywhere as a puppy to meet as many people and other dogs as possible. I need him to be comfortable walking around on his own with other people and animals.
                    An unsolicited recommendation. I had a pup that was highly possessive, she would actually growl, at me, over a deer leg on a mock trail, or food bowl, as a 2 month old puppy. A good ear yank addressed the who's boss issue, but I was still worried about future hunters. In response, I would have the neighbor kids come over and feed her treats at the deer leg and for daily feedings, and also taught her a "That'll do" command. Took a while, but she finally softened up.

Comment

Originally posted by SETXslayer View Post
                      New to the tracking dog world, I will start training my new mini long haired dachshund Jax shortly. I have read through a lot of this thread but was curious to see if anyone had any advice on training a dachshund or a smaller dog in general. Thanks!
                      The author best book on the subject runs daschsunds but says be careful of blood lines.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                        Her Mom is a Pro Level Bay Pen competition dog. Will catch when the opportunity is right. Smartest dog I've owned.
                        Thanks for the info. I have watched vids of them baying and they are some crazy little dogs. Just wondering with some of the critters Buff has on his place if he was worried about her catching.

Comment

'Annie' says - "Oh my gosh. How much longer 'till October?"
                          Last edited by Top Of Texas; 02-06-2019, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Lola

Took advantage of this weather, got in a couple hundred yard track. Put in the work, now she's getting paid.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                              Took advantage of this weather, got in a couple hundred yard track. Put in the work, now she's getting paid.
                              Nice!

You been tracking any over in Okieland last year?

Comment

No sir. I don't believe it is legal over there

Comment

Working...
                                X