plywood vs MDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plywood vs MDF

I am building a bay window seat in my living room that will double as a place to store my electronics (in an open center) and DVD's (behind doors on each side) what material should I use Cabinet grade plywood or MDF?

ifyou want a smooth, finish and not to sit on, MDF is easy to work...it will give a smooth edge..plywood will require an edger molding

Comment

I agree 100 %.

Comment

Cabinet grade plywood is superior to MDF.. It holds better. There are too many advantages to plywood than mdf.

Comment

MDF is just super thick cardboard. Screws hold on the flats but NOT on edge. If you will get dampness from humidity or sweating in winter it WILL swell up. Go with the ply

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny Borel View Post
            MDF is just super thick cardboard. Screws hold on the flats but NOT on edge. If you will get dampness from humidity or sweating in winter it WILL swell up. Go with the ply
            X2

Comment

X3

Comment

Do not use mdf.

Comment

Originally posted by theloneranger View Post
                  Do not use mdf.

This/\/\/\

Comment

Yup. Use plywood.

Comment

thanks guys I knew it would be the more expensive product. lol

Comment

Originally posted by rchisum View Post
                        Thats the common denominator in all threads like this...We arent spending our money, so we wanna make sure we spend all of yours

Comment

Make the right choice and go with plywood..

Comment

They both have pros and cons.
                            I'd need to know more about the installation and finish, before I can give an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by rchisum View Post
                              Cheap, fast, good. Pick 2. Seems to be the rule for everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X