Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Lightbulb Generators and Deer Camp?

Been saving my $$ and getting on my TBH son's lease for 2016. They just got another section of ranch land, put's them at just under 2000 acres for next year. One camp has electric, no water...the one they just got has a camp "party house," several expensive covered sites for an RV but NO electric.

So, my decision: Do I take a spot with the other lease members at the camp that has electric...or do I opt for the "open" spots at the other camp? The "open" spots are only a quarter of a mile from the main camp, concrete slabs for 3 RV's, easy access but again..no power? What type generator would I need to run up to a 30' RV? It would have to run lights, AC and if easier on the generator...just space heaters? Of course, would also need to power water pump, microwave and fridge.

The other guys bring in water and transfer to their RV holding tanks, done this before so no problem with that. My ONLY experience with generators was a motor home I had years ago..fully self contained. It did great, but a little noisy.

Any thoughts or opinions? I will have to find an RV, put in a "red neck" septic..yeah, those 55 gallon barrels in the ground....so need some experienced advice.

Thanks GS!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Amigo...after all I been through with deer lease drama??

My decision would be based solely on where the good vibe is in regards to other members & nothing more than great camp life.

Regardless, a good quiet generator with Honda power...get more than you think you need.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
SwampRanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Batson, Gulf Coast, Wyoming....

Go with the electricity....... You can leave the fridge loaded.... Sucks having to haul food every time you go
SwampRanger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Yep, I'm all about good vibe! There is really no drama on my son's lease, so not a factor! I'm just set in my ways and Momma and I are leaning towards more privacy. The younger ones are really not a "party crowd." The ONE guy who's got the personality of a SLUG, is leaving (so he says) this year. I know what you mean about drama...managed a lease in Sterling City for 10+ years with many members...most were great but a couple were jerks...we eventually got rid of them.

Thanks and more opinions are welcomed....
Old 01-20-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
Hamshire
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jefferson Co, Falls Co

I had to deal with a generator at camp this past year. Even though I pretty much have super human strength, it was still a huge inconvenience messing with it. Go with electric if you have the opportunity.
Hamshire is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Default Good Point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRanger View Post
Go with the electricity....... You can leave the fridge loaded.... Sucks having to haul food every time you go
Great point, had not thought of that, but I'm the type OCD, that I take food whenever I go and take what we don't eat home. I know...just us.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:34 PM   #7
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx

Id go electric, but

If you decide to go the generator route, you are going to need at least a 4kw. We run our 28' on a 5.5kw standard with plenty of power but LOUD. Our ols 3.5kw would barely hold the loads. My advise would be a 4 kw honda inverter if your budget allows. They are so quite that after a while, you hardly notice them if they are placed a little distance off. Also, your propane beat will pull WAY less than space heaters!!! I can run all night on one 31 series deep cycle battery and still have plenty of power left the next day. I can normally get 2 nights out of it in 30 degree weatber before having to fire up the generator to charge the battery.
fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #8
TxAg
Pope & Young

A good generator is expensive....and just one more thing to worry about and maintain. If you have electric, go for it. Plus, it's nice when there's no constant buzzing to listen to.
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #9
jonate98
Four Point

Hunt In: Tyler County

Tie in and Run electric to the other sites as well.
jonate98 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 PM   #10
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Great advice so far all.....as far as tying in to the other site....price quoted is WAY too much for my bank!
Old 01-20-2016, 08:44 PM   #11
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
Tie in and Run electric to the other sites as well.
This but if too expensive then go where the electricity is.

I've done the generator thing and there's nothing like having to go outside when it's raining and cold and fill the dang thing up.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #12
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I would take the electricity over the hassle of a generator
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #13
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Spot with Electric. When it's cold you can run 1 of those little ceramic heaters and it will keep you pretty warm. If only generator you going to have to run propane furnace and go thru a lot of propane. Or run the generator all night and burn a ton of gas.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #14
Winman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata,San Ignacio,Texas

If you decide to go with a generator,figure out the gas consumption so you won't have to get up in the middle of the night in the rain a d mud and cold to refuel.....I'd go with electricity.
Winman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #15
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

I would go electricity. How is the security there? Are you going to have to transport the generator each trip or leave it for the season? A 5500 is not light weight. I used a John Deere 4500w, but it was a quiet gen like Hondas. It was around 2500.00 back 7-8 yrs ago. Then we finally paid the big bucks to get electricity setup, but we own the property,so it was worth it. If you go generator you need to consider building a small 3 sided shelter with roof, it will help divert the noise away from camp. Another thing to look into if you go generator, I think the Honda 2000 you can run in a series or hook them up together?? I read something like that, it would be some$$ but easier to move for one man and quieter than the BRiggs/Stratton powered gen sets
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #16
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada
Default Generators and Deer Camp?

Go where the deer are bigger! If having electricity means I am right on top of a bunch of people I would probably go without. I have hunted a lease without electricity for a long time and it's not that big of a deal. However I am taking steps this year so that we will use the generator less. (12v led lights, solar panels, etc.). It does get tiring pouring gas, changing oil etc. but if you want AC or an electric heater you need a gen.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #17
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT

Just bought the super quiet Honda 3000w generator. Freaking quiet is all I have to say.
MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #18
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Electricity for me.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #19
Signcutter336
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas, Maverick County

Thinking of getting the EU7000 Honda generator myself. I have been without electricity for 7 years. It sucks! And my quote for electricity from a area company put me at $30,000. No thanks!
Signcutter336 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 10:40 PM   #20
J.t.
Four Point

Hunt In: Center

If you do a generator...HONDA... period..the END
J.t. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #21
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
Go where the deer are bigger! If having electricity means I am right on top of a bunch of people I would probably go without. I have hunted a lease without electricity for a long time and it's not that big of a deal. However I am taking steps this year so that we will use the generator less. (12v led lights, solar panels, etc.). It does get tiring pouring gas, changing oil etc. but if you want AC or an electric heater you need a gen.

Sounds like a thread if it's own.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 05:42 AM   #22
junkmanhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress

I hunt 2 leases.. 1 with electricity, 1 without. Hands down go with electric. It's always on, no gas, no maintenance, you can leave refrigerator on, when it's cold you can leave small heater running so when you get in from hunt trailer is warm.

Lease without elec, hauling 20-30 gals of gas each weekend gets old quick.

Electricity hands down..Mama will be much happier..
junkmanhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #23
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
Just bought the super quiet Honda 3000w generator. Freaking quiet is all I have to say.

What's the general range of costs for one? Sorry to ask, always think it's rude to ask someone what they paid for something? It's really a question for me as the other camp is really good, except for the blasted electric situation!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #24
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampranger View Post
go with the electricity....... You can leave the fridge loaded.... Sucks having to haul food every time you go
for sure!!!
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #25
dc1986
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
What's the general range of costs for one? Sorry to ask, always think it's rude to ask someone what they paid for something? It's really a question for me as the other camp is really good, except for the blasted electric situation!
Paid $1700 delivered for mine on Ebay,brand new in the box.I have seen them listed for as much as $2200.I just used mine for the whole season and it worked great.Runs 20 hours on 3 gallons of gas with a real light load.If you run a 1500 watt heater it will run for 10 hours.We ran the microwave,satellite,tv,heaters,ect with no problem.I have heard of folks running a 13,500 ac on campers with no problems with this generator.Champion makes a 3100 inverter that is about 1/2 the price but I have never seen one in person.
dc1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #26
dc1986
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
double post.
dc1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #27
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Been saving my $$ and getting on my TBH son's lease for 2016. They just got another section of ranch land, put's them at just under 2000 acres for next year. One camp has electric, no water...the one they just got has a camp "party house," several expensive covered sites for an RV but NO electric.

So, my decision: Do I take a spot with the other lease members at the camp that has electric...or do I opt for the "open" spots at the other camp? The "open" spots are only a quarter of a mile from the main camp, concrete slabs for 3 RV's, easy access but again..no power? What type generator would I need to run up to a 30' RV? It would have to run lights, AC and if easier on the generator...just space heaters? Of course, would also need to power water pump, microwave and fridge.

The other guys bring in water and transfer to their RV holding tanks, done this before so no problem with that. My ONLY experience with generators was a motor home I had years ago..fully self contained. It did great, but a little noisy.

Any thoughts or opinions? I will have to find an RV, put in a "red neck" septic..yeah, those 55 gallon barrels in the ground....so need some experienced advice.

Thanks GS!

You could go with generator at open spot an
d put solar power on top of trailer to run fridge only.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #28
TreeNap
Eight Point

Hunt In: Young County & NW Oklahoma

I bought a Champion 4000w peak from Camping World recently for $300.

Ran my 36' Rockwood no problem needing heat. In warm weather, it would only push 1 of my A/C units only I assume and just that.

Only used about 4 gallons of gas all weekend. Ran surprising pretty quiet compared to most.
TreeNap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #29
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Quote:

Yep, amazing how quiet
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #30
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Looking more interesting as the comments come in...following and thanks all!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:30 AM   #31
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

My last lease had electricity. I was able to leave stuff in the fridge, didn't have to listen to my generator and didn't have to worry about hauling in fuel all the time and having to fill it up all the time doing oil changes so often etc, etc. The lease I'm on now doesn't have electricity....yet. It will in the next couple of months. After one season of having to maintain my generator for use that often, I cannot wait to have electricity again. I spent WAY more money putting gas in that thing than I would've spent paying my share of the electric bill. I'd go where I had electricity. Not even a second thought for me.

If you were to go the generator route, I would definitely go with 2 of the Honda EU 2000's. You can run them in series depending on how much power you need at the time, you can just run 1. They are very quiet and fuel efficient. They're also safe for elects like laptops and DVD players.

Last edited by Pullersboy; 01-21-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #32
Anvilheadtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barnum (Polk County)

Just be careful with a generator. Put up when hot can cause your trail to catch fire and then that will spread to the pines and the next thing you know 500 acres of timber burns and finally stops on the neighbors land. Or you can say that and get away with it if you and your lease buddies ignore a burn ban, have an open fire and like a bunch of retards let it get out of control. Anyone know what incident I am referring to?
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #33
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

Quote:

Yep, amazing how quiet
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #34
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

The only problem with a generator is when it decides to quit running and you can't get it started again. I would go with the electrical hookup any day over having to run a generator. Plus electricity is much cheaper than fuel and less stuff you have to haul to camp with you.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #35
ThePap
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
If you decide to go with a generator,figure out the gas consumption so you won't have to get up in the middle of the night in the rain a d mud and cold to refuel.....I'd go with electricity.
with gas prices as they are id fill up several 5 Gal jugs. if at all possible use "NON-Ethanol" Gasoline. they have a lot of stores in east Texas that sell it. it lasts a long time and burns longer.
ThePap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #36
Chief
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk/Trinity/Dewitt/Washington County

I run (2) Honda 2000 gen's at our camp with an external 6gal extra tank.
Longest that I have ran them without extra fuel was 32hrs. !!
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #37
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I would only do the generators if I had no other options. If you can get a spot at the camp house or a camp spot with utilities that's what I would try to get . I run a generator only if when the power gets knocked out . The logistics of hauling fuel and anticipating when the tank will go empty ... Not worth the headache.
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #38
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Default ???

Well, one thing is certain...you either have had good experiences with generators or not

Getting electric to the camp site I'm looking at is not in the future, way too expensive, but then there's the privacy aspect with "in place" covered RV site on a concrete pad. The other situation is there are 3 RV's at the "electric" camp site ALL in close proximity to each other. About 4 years ago, one of the trailers had an electric short and caught on fire in the middle of the night. My TBH son and his dog woke up when propane tanks exploded and managed to get out, thank the Lord! 3 of the 4 burned up with only one surviving.

Here are some pics of that "terrible night, posted before on GS." I'll keep checking, good thread that I'm sure affects more of us than just me.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #39
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Well, one thing is certain...you either have had good experiences with generators or not

Getting electric to the camp site I'm looking at is not in the future, way too expensive, but then there's the privacy aspect with "in place" covered RV site on a concrete pad. The other situation is there are 3 RV's at the "electric" camp site ALL in close proximity to each other. About 4 years ago, one of the trailers had an electric short and caught on fire in the middle of the night. My TBH son and his dog woke up when propane tanks exploded and managed to get out, thank the Lord! 3 of the 4 burned up with only one surviving.

Here are some pics of that "terrible night, posted before on GS." I'll keep checking, good thread that I'm sure affects more of us than just me.
Wow .. Okay I see why you have some reservations .
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #40
gusman
Ten Point

Hunt In: /east texas

Electricity is pretty nice. .
gusman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #41
easeup
Ten Point

I guess I will be the guy to say why do you need electricity?
I have not had the juice on a lease for seriously over 30 something years. I like it that way. no generators allowed either.
It is not inconvenient and with a little planning one can have a good camp
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #42
JWalker08
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, FBG, CO

As long as you are wearing the black tactical slippers you can do whatever you want!! Seriously though I'd probably want to camp away from others. I've been looking at a Sportsman generator that is 6500w and is duel fuel. I like the idea of using propane to keep from dealing with gas related issues, plus they are suppose to run off 5gal of propane at max load for over 9 hours. Chances are, a 100lb propane tank would last you all season and it'd be easy to keep a extra 5gal around just in case. The reviews on these are decent and the price seems real good. I've seen them at Home Depot shipped to your door for around 650-700.
JWalker08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #43
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

Get a remote start/stop kit for whatever generator you decide. Run the essentials (lights) on it until bedtime. Sure is nice to start a little propane space heater crawl in bed and hit a button for the lights to go out. Next morning reverse the process.
Smithwr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #44
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithwr View Post
Get a remote start/stop kit for whatever generator you decide. Run the essentials (lights) on it until bedtime. Sure is nice to start a little propane space heater crawl in bed and hit a button for the lights to go out. Next morning reverse the process.

I like how you roll
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 09:43 PM   #45
STONE KILLER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass county

Well where I'm at we don't have electricity, and don't need Tvs or any of that's crap, we get by with buddy heaters and bottle water and if we want a shower go into town and pay money. Just not that fortunate
STONE KILLER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #46
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT

I paid $2300 for the Honda. I don't care if I coulda got it cheaper if I went here or there, or if I ordered here or there. The point is, when it's running and your 10 feet away from it and you can't heat it running. Freaking awesome. Go get ya some of that!!!!
MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #47
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Honda makes a good generator. Is their a way to convert your fridge, stove, water heater, heater over to propane and have propane delivered.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #48
akey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE KILLER View Post
Well where I'm at we don't have electricity, and don't need Tvs or any of that's crap, we get by with buddy heaters and bottle water and if we want a shower go into town and pay money. Just not that fortunate

So you have nothing to add to the thread, then?
akey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #49
STONE KILLER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass county

Quote:
Originally Posted by akey View Post
So you have nothing to add to the thread, then?

Yea I can, we actually have a Honda generator and there awesome!! Highly recommend it
STONE KILLER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #50
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWalker08 View Post
As long as you are wearing the black tactical slippers you can do whatever you want!! Seriously though I'd probably want to camp away from others. I've been looking at a Sportsman generator that is 6500w and is duel fuel. I like the idea of using propane to keep from dealing with gas related issues, plus they are suppose to run off 5gal of propane at max load for over 9 hours. Chances are, a 100lb propane tank would last you all season and it'd be easy to keep a extra 5gal around just in case. The reviews on these are decent and the price seems real good. I've seen them at Home Depot shipped to your door for around 650-700.
Guess I'll never live it down, the pic with the slippers, lol! Interesting idea you just proposed?!