Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
    I sprayed my clover with Arrest, from Whitetail Institute. Just did it, so don't know the results yet, but it's made for killing grass in clover plots. But maybe the Gly is cheaper.

...haha look at me trying to give advice to UncleFish, so just disregard the above and let me know how great it turns out.
    Hey we can all use advice!!!

Arrest is Clethodim which is a grass selective herbicide. Arrow is another name for it. Its very good stuff but it is pricey....much more than Gly. That's the cool thing about established clover.....a lighter dose of Gly won't kill it but will kill the grasses in it!

Comment

The ground is dry and I'm not sure that planting is worth it right now. We have received just over 4 inches of rain since Jan 1. Most of which was a quarter inch here and there.....just not enough to sustain or even get a spring plot started.

So unless the pattern changes right now I'm not going to waste the time and money to plant until the rains return.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Comment

We dont plan to start planting at the earliest till next week. Figure the ideal window is last week of April first week of May....with moisture of course.

Comment

We've gotten 4" since March 1st, it's too wet for us to get back there to plant

Comment

I planted 5 ac plot 2.5 weeks ago with cowpeas and partial screen with beewild bundleflower(new concept). Not real sure how that will work out. We have had about 2 inches of rain since. I will post some pics, if I can figure out how to work tapatalk, when I head down there Friday. located in Wilson county, south of San Antonio

we shall see.

Comment

I just received my Eagle beans yesterday... I'll be drilling four ac. of soybeans, then broadcasting rye, turnips & clover into them in early Sept... We've gotten a decent amount of rain this year, but I'm a little worried about what'll happen this summer. I'm in Montgomery, TX.

Comment

Next slight chance of rain is Sunday/Monday...very slight. My creek has stopped running again and the waterholes I dug out are not long for this world. There is plenty of natural browse to eat right now.....nothing has been hitting the protein feeder.

Sure need a stalled out frontal boundary to rain for about 3 days.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  Next slight chance of rain is Sunday/Monday...very slight. My creek has stopped running again and the waterholes I dug out are not long for this world. There is plenty of natural browse to eat right now.....nothing has been hitting the protein feeder.

Sure need a stalled out frontal boundary to rain for about 3 days.
                  Yes we do. We have been waiting for some good rains so that we can plant as well. If it keeps going this way we might just put out a fall plot in Sept.

Comment

Did a little different kind of mgmt this morning.

They were stacked up.

Comment

Nice mess of fish there!

Comment

Someone reminded me today that you can't grow a crop if the seed is still in the bag. So tomorrow I'm gonna go buy some cowpeas, broadcast, and mow the rye over the top.

What the heck...at least it will be ready to go when I get a rain heavy enough to germinate it.

Comment

Congrats on the good fishing trip! I'm scared to try & plant anything as dry as it is at the ranch.

Comment

Maybe it's not raining becuase you're not planting.
                            Last edited by jkelbe; 05-02-2014, 07:54 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

That looks like a deer's wonderland! Outstanding sir! What part of the state are you doing all this good work? We aren't getting jack squat for rain out here in North Central West Texas . So even if I tried something like this it would be a wast of time. I'm aiming for just improving native forage on the property i hunt and clear most of the cedars and mesquites that are choking out my oaks. Any other suggestions would be wonderful.

Comment

Just stopped at the Co-op. Cowpeas are cheaper than last year... They were $52 last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X