LilBradford's Cooler A/C Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LilBradford's Cooler A/C Unit

Well, since I am still job hunting after I graduated from UH a few weeks ago I decided to use some of my down time to make a deer blind A/C unit. Wanted this to be less bulky so I tried to keep a more "recessed" look. I still need to test it and have noticed a difference in temperature changes just by increasing the air flow slightly so I may add another fan and make the vent come out the front. Not sure yet. But here it is so far. Runs on a single 12V 7.5Ah deer feeder battery with an on/off toggle switch all wired into an archery box. I plan on adding a swivel seat to the top of it for sure. Have to freeze some containers and work on interior flow design. Noticed quite a big difference in how frozen items are arranged in regards effectiveness.
    Attached Files

Well done!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Testing currently in a bathroom in the house. Just started. Results to follow

Comment

Had about a 8 degree drop in temperature. Thinking I need another fan.

Comment

I'd try losing the grill on the output side. I think it's cutting down on your air flow.

The fan is just pressurizing the cooler, so anything on the output is just restricting airflow.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I'd try losing the grill on the output side. I think it's cutting down on your air flow.

The fan is just pressurizing the cooler, so anything on the output is just restricting airflow.
              Thats the plan. I am going to leave the insert or maybe do a PVC insert so If I want to shift the direction of flow I can.

Comment

If you add a second fan (with regards to battery drain) on the opposite side? So that one fan is pushing and the other is pulling?

Comment

Originally posted by Txfirerescue View Post
                  If you add a second fan (with regards to battery drain) on the opposite side? So that one fan is pushing and the other is pulling?
                  I've considered it! Have to decide what I want to do though.

Comment

Originally posted by lilbradford View Post
                    I've considered it! Have to decide what I want to do though.
                    I think that would be pretty slick! You may need to baffle it to force the air over your cold stuff though, because it will be very efficient getting the air in and out quickly. Cool idea though.

Comment

I think that would be pretty slick! You may need to baffle it to force the air over your cold stuff though, because it will be very efficient getting the air in and out quickly. Cool idea though.
                      What I'm doing right now is stacking those blue plastic ice packs from academy in a way that there are air gaps leading to the exhaust. They don't last too long but I haven't timed it yet.

Comment

I think a push/pull setup with the fans could be a game changer. You can get a 4" metal elbow like mine at Home Repot or Blowes that could go over the output fan and let you adjust the direction of the output air flow with minimal drag. You could be onto the "next level" move here.

Comment

I think a push/pull setup with the fans could be a game changer. You can get a 4" metal elbow like mine at Home Repot or Blowes that could go over the output fan and let you adjust the direction of the output air flow with minimal drag. You could be onto the "next level" move here.
                          Thanks. I'm headed out of town in the morning but I will jump on this when
                          I get back. Had it blowing 63 this morning when outside. Didn't seem like there was enough air coming out though to cool effectively.

Comment

Where did you get your 12vdc fan? I need one.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggies12 View Post
                              Where did you get your 12vdc fan? I need one.
                              They have some at Northern Tool, I got mine on Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                              X