Pulling 5th wheel camper w short bed truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling 5th wheel camper w short bed truck

Does anyone pull a 5th wheel with a truck with a 5.5' bed? Should I stay away from it? I know if you turn too sharp you can hit rear window w camper.

I have been trying to find a bumper pull camper, but I see a lot of used 5th wheels at decent prices, wondering if I should consider them also.

Wondering pros and cons from someone with experience in this area

It's doable. Pulled one with my tundra a few times. Never had a problem with any turns moving forward, in reverse i wished for a longer bed many times.

I use my bed too much to have a hitch back there all the time, and I have a nice aluminum dog box that sits there most of the time anyways so a bumper pull was a better choice for me.
    Last edited by CaprockRoamer; 09-24-2018, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaprockRoamer View Post
      It's doable. Pulled one with my tundra a few times. Never had a problem with any turns moving forward, in reverse i wished for a longer bed many times.

I use my bed too much to have a hitch back there all the time, and I have a nice aluminum dog box that sits there most of the time anyways so a bumper pull was a better choice for me.
      Thanks for the input. If I go 5th wheel, I will get gooseneck adapter so I don't have the 5th wheel hitch taking up the bed.

When backing, do you have about the same turning radius as you would with a bumper pull? or less?

Comment

I know you can do it without hitting the cab. A few friends have done it, once. They then upgraded to a 3/4 ton.

I would worry more about the high profile of a 5th wheel when it gets windy pulling it with a SRW, much less a half ton truck. Your truck is going to get blown all over the road if it's windy.

Comment

You can get a sliding hitch. It slides towards the back some as you turn sharply.

Comment

what truck are you trying to pull it with?

Comment

It can be done, just have to pay attention and take your time in tight parking situations. Biggest thing I dislike is the hitch filling up the bed of the truck.

Comment

hitch, trailer hitch, superglide, super5th, superlite, receiver, receiver hitch, 5th wheel hitch, gooseneck hitch, multi-fit, tow hitch, towing, single point hitch, direct mount hitch

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
                  what truck are you trying to pull it with?
                  Ram 1500, 3.92 rear end, 5.5' bed. I am looking for a trailer that weighs about 6-7K, probably a 25-28' trailer

Comment

I saw a guy hook up to a big 5th wheel with a brand new F250 king ranch short bed and destroy his cab within the 1st week of owning the truck. Just take it easy and watch out.

Comment

I pull mine with a short bed. I have a sliding hitch and honestly wouldn't do it w/out. Adds about 2k to your expense though.

6.75' truck bed though in a 3/4 ton.

Comment

I've had two that I pulled with my f250 short bed. First was a 39 foot KZ that the kingpin was about a foot back under the trailer. Pulled fine on FLAT ground and flat turns. I blew my back glass when I pulled out of a drive that was bad unlevel. That third and forth angle is what gets you even though I could put my truck in a 90 degree angle to the trailer on flat ground. Second trailer that I still have had the kingpin set out about a foot ahead of the trailer and I dont think I'll find a situation that will hurt my truck.

I said all that to say this. I believe kingpin or gooseneck tube location is far more important than bed length but they both go hand in hand. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
                          I've had two that I pulled with my f250 short bed. First was a 39 foot KZ that the kingpin was about a foot back under the trailer. Pulled fine on FLAT ground and flat turns. I blew my back glass when I pulled out of a drive that was bad unlevel. That third and forth angle is what gets you even though I could put my truck in a 90 degree angle to the trailer on flat ground. Second trailer that I still have had the kingpin set out about a foot ahead of the trailer and I dont think I'll find a situation that will hurt my truck.

I said all that to say this. I believe kingpin or gooseneck tube location is far more important than bed length but they both go hand in hand. Good luck.
                          And for sure I would not buy a trailer that the kingpin is set back from the front of the trailer, it would have to be one that is set forward of the front. But most smaller 5th wheels seem to be set up like that. thanks for the info

Comment

You can do it in two ways. 1. If your hitch has a slider or 2. if the kingpin extends away from the front of the camper.
                            If the kingpin sticks straight down, don't do it. I wanted to be doubly cautious. My kingpin extended away from my 5th wheel and I also got a hitch with a slider. I never even had to engage my slider.

Comment

sliding hitch is needed many times more than not having the right hitch . Having pulled with a SB and a 5th wheel easy to tear things up if your not very careful even then it can still happen . I dinged my box very hard on a easy turn but way off camber . Done is done . I went back to a 31 foot bumper pull funny I started out small went up to a 45 ft and now back to smaller rig , hunting with a 5th wheel can pose issue with trees as well in many places other than a camping park , been down that road as well

Comment

Working...
                              X