No announcement yet.

2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question- for those that get selected in more than one category and those that seems to get selected for at least one hunt almost every year, how many times are y’all applying? I
    Have been applying every year since the mid 2000’s and have only been selected once. But I usually only apply for around 5-6 hunts. For example this year I put in fr 3 archery hunts, and 3 GDE drawings. Should I apply for more hunts to better my odds? I’ve read some people have paid in over $100 in fees. I was trying to avoid that. Also i am usually to only one applying, would my odds go up if I had other hunters names submitted on my entry?
    I’m Just trying to get a better grip on this because evidently what I been doing for years hasn’t been working. Especially when I read about how many have been selected multiple timesz

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
      Question- for those that get selected in more than one category and those that seems to get selected for at least one hunt almost every year, how many times are y’all applying? I
      Have been applying every year since the mid 2000’s and have only been selected once. But I usually only apply for around 5-6 hunts. For example this year I put in fr 3 archery hunts, and 3 GDE drawings. Should I apply for more hunts to better my odds? I’ve read some people have paid in over $100 in fees. I was trying to avoid that. Also i am usually to only one applying, would my odds go up if I had other hunters names submitted on my entry?
      I’m Just trying to get a better grip on this because evidently what I been doing for years hasn’t been working. Especially when I read about how many have been selected multiple timesz

This year I applied for 7 archery hunts and 9 rifle hunts. Won an archery hunt this year and one rifle hunt last year. All of the rifle hunts have my name and my dads. Archery was only mine this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So, if you put in for 9 different GDE hunts and do not get drawn, do you get 9 preference points or just 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
          So, if you put in for 9 different GDE hunts and do not get drawn, do you get 9 preference points or just 1?
          One. It is by category, not hunt.

Comment

I'll put in for several in some categories and one in others. I have drawn some hunts that were hard to get before and after the change in systems. If you only put in for the hard to draw hunts you will be often disappointed. I may spend a couple of hundred a year between the draw hunts and the Big Time hunts. On the $3 draws I will probably spend $100 to $150 for me and my BIL.

Comment

Yes, I spend at least a couple of hundred dollars a year on applications and I have been drawn for at least one hunt per year since the new system started. I also applied for many years in the old system and accumulated a ton of preference points in various categories. Just like most things in life, you have to pay to play. It is still way cheaper than a lease. I've also been able to hunt some awesome hunts in some beautiful parts of Texas.

Although there is always room for improvement, I really believe that the TPWD is trying to make it as fair as they can, yet still make money for conservation.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                I agree, the way the state hunts are structured now those that thrown the most money at it are getting the spoils, that should not be the case for state and federal lands.

How do you figure that? It’s a lottery. You can only buy one ticket per place per year.

Comment

Originally posted by jdunn6092 View Post
                  How do you figure that? It’s a lottery. You can only buy one ticket per place per year.

Up until a few years ago you could only apply once for each category. Now you can apply to every hunt in every category.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Some don’t like the system, but look around Tbh right now and read how many guys have been putting in for certain hunts for yrs with no success and got drawn this yr, I bet they think that new system is pretty good.

Comment

Gus Engeling

Got drawn for Gus Engeling for first time, doing a little research on it seems to draw up some pretty nice size bucks...waiting on 2nd draw for everything else. Anyone have any tips on Gus please send my way, i hunted laguna Atascosa and Lower rio grand valley- east lake unit last year.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                        Some don’t like the system, but look around Tbh right now and read how many guys have been putting in for certain hunts for yrs with no success and got drawn this yr, I bet they think that new system is pretty good.
                        Most winners like the game they're playing, doesn't mean the game doesn't suck

I won this year.. I still think, er, know Texas is one of the worst draws in the country.. I'd probably take it over California and Maine.. That's about it.. That's when you know it's sad/pitiful, when you barely beat California

Has nothing to do with amount of apps or increasing number of hunters or limited public land.. Those are just excuses.. Has to do with BS system, period.. Current system is a pure money grab, plain and simple.. It's basically not a draw, just a raffle
                        Last edited by Deers & Beers; 08-19-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post

I won this year.. I still think, er, know Texas is one of the worst draws in the country.. I'd probably take it over California and Maine.. That's about it.. That's when you know it's sad/pitiful, when you barely beat California

Has nothing to do with amount of apps or increasing number of hunters or limited public land.. Those are just excuses.. Has to do with BS system, period.. Current system is a pure money grab, plain and simple.. It's basically not a draw, just a raffle
                          Sad but true! I’ve got 11 points GDE and 9 Archery. I hope to with the “raffle” one of these years
                          Last edited by hweissert; 08-19-2018, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Just got off the phone with texas parks and wild life and preference points don't matter, they "better," your odds but do not determine getting drawn like other states. Just to clarify for everyone asking.

Comment

Originally posted by txhushlife View Post
                              Got drawn for Gus Engeling for first time, doing a little research on it seems to draw up some pretty nice size bucks...waiting on 2nd draw for everything else. Anyone have any tips on Gus please send my way, i hunted laguna Atascosa and Lower rio grand valley- east lake unit last year.

I haven’t hunted Engeling but am interested in Atascosa. Got drawn this year for Nov.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post

If they put you in charge of the system and gave you the power to change it up however you see fit, what would the new system that you'd set up look like?

Comment

Working...
                                X