No announcement yet.

Who has been shafted by a taxidermist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a well known one in Ft. Worth screw up my son's first buck. One ear was missing all the hair and it looked plastic. I complained and he said the hair slipped. He said he saw that when he was mounting it. He said he should of asked me if I wanted to buy another hide before he mounted it but he forgot. So he mounted a bad hide.

I have had more than a dozen deer mounted and never had a hide slip. This one was shot, put in the freezer, and delivered to him in about 24 hours.

Comment

I got burned on a Red Stag. Fella up in New Braunfels took two years (which is fine) and it looked like Stevie Wonder done it. Hair has slipped now as well.

I will play the devils advocate and say this, I could only imagine the many times a taxi has got burned. My taxi I have now is a good un and he tells me stories on how people never pick up the animal after its done and he still has to pay his help or people change their minds after he is almost done. He has a showroom full of unpaid mounts.

Comment

Anybody else

Comment

I had a buck, and a bass I took to a taxi here years and years ago. Got them back pretty quick. So I took another bass to him and the original back for a minor repair. Started getting the run around for a long time. He worked out of his house. Finally I talked to game warden and he said we have had a lot of complaints about him. He said maybe I’ll just pay him a visit. He stopped in. Then I dropped by his house and was told he moved. But got a phone call from him as I was backing out of the drive. Then after him calling me back one night drunk talking crap, I told him if I didn’t get my mounts back I was going to plaster his name and story all over the internet on every hunting, taxi and outdoor forum I could find. Not long after that I got a call from him and went and picked up my mounts. Couldn’t believe I got them back. One of the lucky ones I guess. Can’t remember how long it took but seems like 2 yrs. Been a good many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
            Tudor has done 3 of mine and a few of my FIL and BIL's .
            Great guy, small shop, and great work.
            I just dropped my axis off at Tudor about 3 weeks ago.. really glad to see the confidence here!

Comment

Frank's a good guy and does great work.

Comment

Never had problems with hoof stock. Have only ever used Palermo and the work is always excellent.

Recently we went to Hawaii and did some sport fishing. I got a good sized wahoo and the husband pulled in a monster tuna. We got the measurements and went with Gray Taxidermy in Florida for the mounting. The Capitan of the boat said he could give us a 10% discount on both so we went with it. Once we get back home we are contacted by Grays stating they needed shipping and crating fees up front before even starting the process. Should take 8 weeks from when the bill is paid in full. Turns out the shipping and creating is more per fish than the cost to mount it. The mount/paint on the wahoo was great, the tuna looked nothing like the fish the husband caught color wise and the fins were way too long. After contacting them they said this is what the fish looks like before you caught it. There were many email back and forth and the manager was pulled in due to the lack in communication on their part. They have finally fixed his fish ( to actually look like the pictures we sent) and it should be shipped out soon (11 weeks later), but over all the customer service was horrible and I am glad we requested pictures of finished project prior to shipping. We did some research after returning from Hawaii and saw that this was likely to happen. I don't mind paying for a good mount, but it ended up being almost 1600 per fish when all is said and done when we paid 700 up front for the mount.

Long story short, don't use Gray Taxidermy for your fish... they will hit you with all sorts of hidden fees and are very difficult to get any kind of response back or a refund of the upfront mounting fee if you decide to not go with them after all.

Comment

Who has been shafted by a taxidermist

12 years ago I gave a big bobcat to a guy from Louisiana that worked for me on a drilling rig also claiming to be an amateur taxidermist.
                  (I should have know better, but he was a avid hunter and had pictures of several white tail he said he had done)
                  He said pay for the form and he would take care of the rest. He did exactly that. Took my money, my cat and never gave it back.
                  I went to work on another rig but kept in touch trying to get my car back and it was excuse after excuse. Waiting on tanner, for didn’t fit, ect. Last but not lease a game warden confiscated all his stuff for some reason and I he was sorry.
                  My theory is by the time he was don’t massacring my cat all I was left with was a bobcat paw I could have hung on a key chain, and he was too embarrassed to own up to it.

Years later he messaged me wanting a job.
                  What a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Last edited by Hix; 07-27-2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Tried the small claims court one time on a guy that screwed us a bird lease. First you gotta find him to deliver certified, registered mail to. Then if judge finds in your benefit, about all that can be done is put a lien on real property. My guy couldn't be found and didn' have anything to put a lien on.

Comment

Boondocks taxidermy in Caldwell took my bobcat and $100...then closed shop. Pincheros.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                        I’m thinking this is the same guy who is working at Safari Studios in San Angelo now. Not the only questionable taxidermist Safari Studios has taken in. They have great talent just suck at business bad so I guess Safari Studios takes care of that part for them.

The owner is as good as they get he’s just had some guys who’ve burned lots of people with their own businesses in the past
                        safari studios worst experience I have ever had . It was a bobcat mount that looked like a dog . Good thing I only put half down and they had to eat the rest

Comment

Originally posted by Rem40x View Post
                          safari studios worst experience I have ever had . It was a bobcat mount that looked like a dog . Good thing I only put half down and they had to eat the rest
                          Pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                            Can’t get blood out of a turnip

I have judgments against 2 Taxidermist, one is for $10,000.00
                            You can’t make them pay
                            You can if they file an income tax.

Comment

Taxidermists are like barbers, they're everywhere, but burn me once, I'm gone.
                              It's ashamed to have invested all the time and money to get shafted with a ruined animal.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehuntress View Post
                                Never had problems with hoof stock. Have only ever used Palermo and the work is always excellent.

Recently we went to Hawaii and did some sport fishing. I got a good sized wahoo and the husband pulled in a monster tuna. We got the measurements and went with Gray Taxidermy in Florida for the mounting. The Capitan of the boat said he could give us a 10% discount on both so we went with it. Once we get back home we are contacted by Grays stating they needed shipping and crating fees up front before even starting the process. Should take 8 weeks from when the bill is paid in full. Turns out the shipping and creating is more per fish than the cost to mount it. The mount/paint on the wahoo was great, the tuna looked nothing like the fish the husband caught color wise and the fins were way too long. After contacting them they said this is what the fish looks like before you caught it. There were many email back and forth and the manager was pulled in due to the lack in communication on their part. They have finally fixed his fish ( to actually look like the pictures we sent) and it should be shipped out soon (11 weeks later), but over all the customer service was horrible and I am glad we requested pictures of finished project prior to shipping. We did some research after returning from Hawaii and saw that this was likely to happen. I don't mind paying for a good mount, but it ended up being almost 1600 per fish when all is said and done when we paid 700 up front for the mount.

Long story short, don't use Gray Taxidermy for your fish... they will hit you with all sorts of hidden fees and are very difficult to get any kind of response back or a refund of the upfront mounting fee if you decide to not go with them after all.
                                I got into with them a few years ago, its all a scam between the captain of the boat and Gray's, they get a cut, when my wife caught a big sailfish the crew was running around asking if we were going to mount or it has to be released immediately, he said they use the bill and the sail on the mount, lol, we ended up saying yes, the crew kept the sailfish for themselves, I put 1000.00 down, when we got back home I called Grays to inquire about using the bill and the sail from my wife's sail, they did not know what I was even talking about, long story short I told them I would spend 5000 to get my 1000 dollar deposit back, after talking with the owner or manager my credit card was reimbursed, had Ron Kelley mount it for 1000, Grays was going to be 2200.

Comment

Working...
                                X