Brisket: A Detailed "How To"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zztex View Post
    Interesting. I am having the same problem. Have cooked 2 briskets now on my UDS and they turned out great, just no smoke ring. Had smoke pouring out of vent the whole time, no sure what to think. It's just more appealing to have a smoke ring.
    Any ideas on this? Probably gonna do another one this weekend

Comment

It's my understanding that since you are cooking in a UDS and most likely using lump coal or briquettes, there isn't enough nitrates in the smoke to cause a smoke ring....if you add wood chunks it will help, but probably not much, unless you use a lot of wood chunks. That is why off set smokers, that solely use wood, have better smoke rings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Knocked one out the other day and last pic is one from a little competition we had on my neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
          Interesting. I am having the same problem. Have cooked 2 briskets now on my UDS and they turned out great, just no smoke ring. Had smoke pouring out of vent the whole time, no sure what to think. It's just more appealing to have a smoke ring.
          You need Nitric Oxide (NO) and Carbon Monoxide (CO) to react with the myoglobin in the meat to form a smoke ring. Only two ways to do that: hot wood/charcoal fire or to chemically treat the meat. I tried several times with an electric smoker to get a ring to form but it doesnt get the wood chips hot enough to produce sufficient quantities of NO and CO. Heres a great website for reference on smoke rings...

Smoked meats often have a pink layer below the surface called the smoke ring. But you don't need smoke to create it! It is created by myoglobin, a protein in meat, reacting with combustion gases. Read on to learn how removing the fat cap from meat, keeping the meat moist, and cooking low and slow create the smoke ring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
            It's my understanding that since you are cooking in a UDS and most likely using lump coal or briquettes, there isn't enough nitrates in the smoke to cause a smoke ring....if you add wood chunks it will help, but probably not much, unless you use a lot of wood chunks. That is why off set smokers, that solely use wood, have better smoke rings.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
            I use quite a bit of wood chunks, I'll use more this time.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
              You need Nitric Oxide (NO) and Carbon Monoxide (CO) to react with the myoglobin in the meat to form a smoke ring. Only two ways to do that: hot wood/charcoal fire or to chemically treat the meat. I tried several times with an electric smoker to get a ring to form but it doesnt get the wood chips hot enough to produce sufficient quantities of NO and CO. Heres a great website for reference on smoke rings...

Smoked meats often have a pink layer below the surface called the smoke ring. But you don't need smoke to create it! It is created by myoglobin, a protein in meat, reacting with combustion gases. Read on to learn how removing the fat cap from meat, keeping the meat moist, and cooking low and slow create the smoke ring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
              Thanks, that article is very interesting and informative
              Last edited by zztex; 05-27-2017, 12:42 PM. Reason: Added

Comment

I cooked my first brisket this weekend. Smoker is just some air compressor tanks. Use it quite often for ribs, chicken and the like. I think it works well. On to the brisket. I had a regular 1.96/lb from HEB untrimmed 9.?? pounds. I think I overcooked it and it was partially dry. Taste was quite good as well as smoke ring. I froze it for a couple of weeks (is that really bad? ) and defrosted in fridge. Trimmed very little, fat was thin. Rubbed in mustard and Stubbs Beef as well as coarse black pepper and let it sit overnight covered in fridge. Started at 6am using a mix of pecan and hickory, all I have at the time. Attempted to keep 225-250 but had some 25* swings. Let it smoke for 3 hours then just rotated sides. Put in gauge at 5 hours, temp was 140ish. At a little over 6 hours, temp was 160ish so I wrapped it in foil then. Rotated it back to original position. Fat side up the entire time. At the 6 hour mark I probed in a couple spots and I thought the probe went in fairly easy but maybe not done easy. I just watched the temp for another 3 hours. Got to 175-185 in a couple spots and was very easy to get gauge in. This was 9 hours now. It felt done and looked done. I pulled it and let sit in cooler for 2 hours. There was a good amount of juice in the foil, I did flip the brisket over in the cooler during the setting time. I'm glad I didn't take it to 195 or 200! I need to make my wood chunks smaller, that will help with temp reg. Otherwise, any obvious flaws?

Comment

Saving for later, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
                    I cooked my first brisket this weekend. Smoker is just some air compressor tanks. Use it quite often for ribs, chicken and the like. I think it works well. On to the brisket. I had a regular 1.96/lb from HEB untrimmed 9.?? pounds. I think I overcooked it and it was partially dry. Taste was quite good as well as smoke ring. I froze it for a couple of weeks (is that really bad? ) and defrosted in fridge. Trimmed very little, fat was thin. Rubbed in mustard and Stubbs Beef as well as coarse black pepper and let it sit overnight covered in fridge. Started at 6am using a mix of pecan and hickory, all I have at the time. Attempted to keep 225-250 but had some 25* swings. Let it smoke for 3 hours then just rotated sides. Put in gauge at 5 hours, temp was 140ish. At a little over 6 hours, temp was 160ish so I wrapped it in foil then. Rotated it back to original position. Fat side up the entire time. At the 6 hour mark I probed in a couple spots and I thought the probe went in fairly easy but maybe not done easy. I just watched the temp for another 3 hours. Got to 175-185 in a couple spots and was very easy to get gauge in. This was 9 hours now. It felt done and looked done. I pulled it and let sit in cooler for 2 hours. There was a good amount of juice in the foil, I did flip the brisket over in the cooler during the setting time. I'm glad I didn't take it to 195 or 200! I need to make my wood chunks smaller, that will help with temp reg. Otherwise, any obvious flaws?
                    I'm not a pro, and maybe some of those guys will chime in and either agree or correct me, but I don't even think about pulling it until IT hits 195. That's when I start probing for it to feel like warm butter. Sometimes it's ready at 195, others it has to go all the way to 200 or a little higher. The way I understand it is that yes, it's technically fully cooked at 165, but won't start getting juicy until almost 200 due to tissue and fat beginning to melt (render).

You may also have done something to it by rubbing and letting that sit overnight. With a chunck of meat that big, any salt may have just pulled moisture out and not had time to let it get back in. I've frozen briskets and never had a problem.

Comment

I normally go fat side down, hehehe. This protects the meat from direct heat and I've never noticed the fat rendering into the meat, just dropping off. Mine have been better since I went to fat side down.

Comment

Thanks for the work you put into this. Good info. Can't wait to try it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
                          I couldn't imagine a brisket being tender at 175-185 unless it was cooked for 20+ hours. It was likely dry because the fat hadn't even rendered out yet. When I say pull it when it "probes like butter" I mean there should be ZERO resistance. Since I did this write up, I have now moved to hot and fast style cooking for brisket. I cook at about 300 degrees and my briskets normally probe tender around 210 degrees IT. Also, next time just put that sucker on the pit and leave it alone. There is no need to keep moving it around, especially when you're cooking at low temperatures. Hope this helps!

Comment

I will try it again and bring it up to temp. Thanks.

Comment

Another brisket grade higher than prime

At HEB

Kobe American Beef brisket

Nice marbling but look at the cost!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for that!

Comment

Working...
                                X