Crock pot or Sous vide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crock pot or Sous vide?

Great big venison roast and I’m looking for shredded tender to make tacos.
    I could either sous vide it starting today or braise it in a crock pot starting in the morning.
    (I don’t have an insta-pot but I do have a pressure cooker but since I’m not in a hurry and that seems like a bit of a gamble to time correctly I’m ruling that out. )

Planning dinner for tomorrow night with friends so I have a little time.

Thoughts & Opinions???

I'd crock pot it.

Comment

For shredding, I'd go crockpot

Comment

Crockpot for shredding.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

shredded has been covered... I would sous vide, cut into small cubes and sear in a cast iron skillet quick with some onions, cilantro etc all in a bath of butter. Spoon onto warm tortillas. Much better flavor and texture vs shredded in a crock pot imho

Comment

Crock pot on low.. they turn out great. My wife has tried to speed up the cooking process in the past by using medium and high . It took 3 ruined roast for her to listen to me... hard headed woman..

Comment

Agree- crock pot for shredding. I've done it, it's great.

Comment

Crock pot. See my post on the other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                    Crock pot on low.. they turn out great. My wife has tried to speed up the cooking process in the past by using medium and high . It took 3 ruined roast for her to listen to me... hard headed woman..
                    How long did it take on low?

Comment

Santa has been threatening to bring me a sous vide cooker for the past five years now and, for whatever reason, she just hasn’t pulled the trigger. If you end up cooking sous vide, I’ll be interested to know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                        How long did it take on low?
                        7 or 8 hours .. she usually cooks it over night when I'm working.. she puts the roast on before bed and I turn it off when I get in at 430 ..

Comment

It probably is 7-8 hours. Really just cook it till it falls of bones and easily shreds. One thing I did last time I ate them, was to crisp up a little in frying pan before throwing them in a tortilla. Did same with corn tortilla.

Comment

Crock Pot for sure.

Comment

Did the crock pot. Everyone enjoyed it. I thought it was a little dry but with venison it’s easy to dry it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X