Alfalfa feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alfalfa feeder

I had a spare barrel and attempted to build an alfalfa feeder. I used some hog paneling welded around the barrel. I think it came out ok. This was a 30gal barrel, so I was only able to put 3/4 of the alfalfa bale. If my WT and exotics take to it, I’ll build another using a 55gal barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good!! We made two with the 55 gl drums and they’re easy to fit a whole bale inside. When everything’s not green I can hardly keep them full so we built a three bale holder in a similar manner, hog panel on the bottom and halfway up the sides with a metal frame. Regular tin on the sides and the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I think if I would’ve separated the alfalfa first and placed it inside in small amounts, the entire bale would’ve fit easily. Next time, next time.

Comment

Yes, I always had to break the bale up for the deer to really eat it

Comment

I hate to see those t posts sticking up like that Be careful filling the thing. Looks good and should work and keep the hogs off your alfalfa

Comment

I like that idea. Anyone ever tried a geavity feeder and used hay rite alfalfa cubes instead?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have used alfalfa before but started using Chaffaye, it's a alfalfa with molases in it. The deer usually eat it pretty good especially if things are a bit dry. It is moist and you can smell it in the wind. It comes in 50# blocks and would probably fit in your holder. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                I hate to see those t posts sticking up like that Be careful filling the thing. Looks good and should work and keep the hogs off your alfalfa

Tposts aren’t an issue since I can remove the lid and dump the hay in without ever leaving the ground lol.

Comment

Originally posted by txlawdog View Post
                  I have used alfalfa before but started using Chaffaye, it's a alfalfa with molases in it. The deer usually eat it pretty good especially if things are a bit dry. It is moist and you can smell it in the wind. It comes in 50# blocks and would probably fit in your holder. Good luck.

Where would we find this?

Comment

Working...
                  X