How can I get rid of this weed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I get rid of this weed?

I have these weeds popping up all over the place in my pasture. The bluebonnets haven’t seeded yet so I can’t shred it and they look horrible. First what are they? And second how can I kill it without killing the bluebonnets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grazon but you need an applicators license.

Comment

Likely anything you put on that Thistle will take out the bluebonnets too...

Comment

It's white prickly poppy (I'm pretty sure maybe) it's in the thistle family. The seeds make for good quail/dove feed if that's any consolation.
        Oops I think I just saw purple coming out of one of those pods, so I guess it's just thistle, send the kids out with sticks to whack them of just above the ground so they don't go to seed?
        Last edited by tex4k; 04-10-2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

You gonna get a little pinkish purple flower on the top of that bulb.

Edit: upon closer inspection, looks like you might have already.

Comment

Different variety of thistle than I have, but 2-4-D kills mine quick. It will likely kill your blue bonnets also. If you don't get the poison directly on the blue bonnets, it won't hurt them. Cut the thistle back first. Bag and dispose/burn the tops, then spray or pour poison on the remaining base.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Cut or pull out.

Comment

Pull out with root before it goes to seed. Have them all around our barn, spent a couple hours with a shovel popping then all out.

Comment

Before I had a DL every spring break my dad would drop me off at a new pasture every morning with a water jug and lunch...... and a sharp hoe. And I’d chop and dig thistles aaalllll daaayyyy lloooonnnngggg

Comment

It's too late to spray anything for those. And anything you spray will kill the bluebonnets.

You can try cutting down the stalk but they will bloom close to the ground.

Comment

Machete . How big a field is it?

Comment

I promise, a 7 iron. Cut them them down but not cleanly. Bust em off at the ground. Not with a clean cut.

Comment

We spray Grazon Next HL on all of our pastures. It knocks it out along with all other undesired weeds. Don’t have to have a applicators license for that one.

Comment

Ride around and spot spray.

Comment

I use 2-4-D on mine and does the trick. Spot spray with a wetting agent and blue dye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X