Predator hunting for soccer moms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predator hunting for soccer moms

When friends and acquaintances first started asking what I would be getting up to on the weekend and receiving a reply of "bear hunting," I quickly realized that the majority of people in my city have no idea anybody even eats bear. I had started hunting just as the rug was pulled out from under us here in BC regarding the grizzly hunt (google "BC grizzly hunting" if you haven't heard anything about that move) and although there wasn't any form of provincial vote on the matter I don't think that would have helped much with our current public perception of bear hunting in most urban areas. I had recently started putting together a video of my first year hunting with my son and quickly decided to try and take the opportunity to explain both the edibility and sustainability of bear hunting in BC in a way that non hunters might be able to digest.

I tend to avoid Facebook like the plague these days but I posted it on there and the response was surprising, almost none of my friends hunt but it seemed to be quite well received by people I never would have expected to take interest. I also used it as a bit of a springboard to explain the need for predator management and the hypocrisy of someone eating beef but having an issue with Canada Goose using coyote fur or typing angry comments on hunting photos/videos from their own leather couch.

Either way, I had fun getting a bit of practice filming/editing and creating memories for my son and I and we plan on working on another short film about the nuance of bear hunting over the spring...feel free to share this, you never know who's mind you might change. I also included a link in the video description to a write up I did of the hunt, some photos and bit more context if you're interested. Hope everyone is getting excited for spring bear, just got a new string and cables put on the bow and will be spending the next few weeks experimenting with a couple different arrow builds to try and get my fixed blade broadheads flying as true as possible.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctOw2i78xSk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctOw2i78xSk[/ame]

Funny you posted this as I ate bear for the first time this past weekend...one of my buds on the lease shot one up around the northern border.

Great post...thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      Funny you posted this as I ate bear for the first time this past weekend...one of my buds on the lease shot one up around the northern border.

Great post...thanks for sharing!!
      How did you like it? Big variation in taste depending on their diet, some people swear it's the best meat around, others try one fishy bear and say all bear is awful. Spring bear feeding on grass and skunk cabbage makes some of the best burger in my opinion. Also how are bear populations there, I really have no idea lol

Comment

Nicely done!

Let's see some pics of your boat!

Comment

Since it was made into sausage it's not really a fair gauge for me to make a comparison to other wild game...I thought it tasted great but a couple of the other guys didn't care for it.

I forget what state Pat shot his 2 bears but it was a northern border one. A bear sighting is very very rare for deep south tx. Last one was around 3yrs ago in either Zapata or Webb Co & was said to have worked her way up from Mexico. Rare enough that it made the news!!

Originally posted by Backcountry View Post
          How did you like it? Big variation in taste depending on their diet, some people swear it's the best meat around, others try one fishy bear and say all bear is awful. Spring bear feeding on grass and skunk cabbage makes some of the best burger in my opinion. Also how are bear populations there, I really have no idea lol

Comment

Great video

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              Nicely done!

Let's see some pics of your boat!
              The boat belongs to the "friend with some nice toys..." and it sure is a nice toy lol. Custom build, the front drops down so you can drive a quad onto it.

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              Since it was made into sausage it's not really a fair gauge for me to make a comparison to other wild game...I thought it tasted great but a couple of the other guys didn't care for it.

I forget what state Pat shot his 2 bears but it was a northern border one. A bear sighting is very very rare for deep south tx. Last one was around 3yrs ago in either Zapata or Webb Co & was said to have worked her way up from Mexico. Rare enough that it made the news!!
              Ya the best way to get a real flavor profile is steaks and roasts, the sausage and smokies had a hint of bear but very pork like with all the seasoning and added pork trim, assuming yours had some as well. Only complaint was that my bear had some birdshot in him, must have been a repeat offender messing with the loggers or something.
              Last edited by Backcountry; 02-09-2019, 12:42 PM.

Comment

(Couldn't see video on computer, but watched on phone with Tapatalk -- maybe someone can suggest how I need to enable seeing vids.)

Very cool video work. Was that a grizzly strolling past late in the video?

Comment

Very nice video! Thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                    (Couldn't see video on computer, but watched on phone with Tapatalk -- maybe someone can suggest how I need to enable seeing vids.)

Very cool video work. Was that a grizzly strolling past late in the video?
                    Hmm not sure why you couldn't pull it up on your computer, searching Backcountry Bloodline on youtube should bring up all our videos but that doesn't solve your link issue. Yes, no shortage of them up here, hence the need for active hunting and selective harvest instead of emotion driven wildlife management that neglects nuanced conservation goals.

Comment

That is a man's boat! Bet that thing is fun

Comment

awesome video , thx for sharing

Comment

Well done!!

Comment

Fixed YouTube viewing problem by viewing TBH in Google Chrome instead of Explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                              Fixed YouTube viewing problem by viewing TBH in Google Chrome instead of Explorer.

Great video and thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X