Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daughter got it done on the last day, last evening.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daughter got it done on the last day, last evening.

A little late posting, my daughter finally sealed the deal last Sunday. The last day, last evening of extended youth season.

We had a terrible season on our place in Leander this year. The deer were almost non existent. I booked a day hunt in STX on a place a little S of Kingsville for the last weekend.

I took both my girls down Friday afternoon after checking them out of school. We hunted Saturday morning and got skunked! It was more of the same of what we had been dealing with hunting our place all year. This wasn’t good. Reese was loosing her interest in hunting and I can’t say I really blamed her. We have literally sat at least 10 times without seeing so much as a rabbit or a squirrel. Here we traveled to STX and were getting the same thing.

Due to high winds and a full moon we decided to skip the morning hunt Sunday and start hunting early Sunday afternoon. That turned out to be the right decision.

We fed out some senderos and deer showed up almost immediately. I could see a buck about 500 yards out but couldn’t tell what it was. I knew it was a decent deer but we were hunting management deer. We drove down the sendero to get a closer look but ended up spooking him off. We drove past where he was and fed the road out again. We posted up and waited and he came back out into the sendero about 45 minutes later. When he came out I figured he would be too big to shoot but the guide gave us the green light.

I put the range finder on him and he was at 127 yards. Reese has been a crack shot and can hit a 1” circle at 100 yards. This was a little different though. She was hunting out of a truck and didn’t have the best of rests to use. He was mixed in with does and it took about 10 Minutes for him to get broadside and clear from the does. I usually video our hunts but I choked on this one. I had buck fever way worse than my daughter did and I couldn’t even get the camera going. I was shaking so bad it was useless.

Anyway, Reese finally squeezed the trigger and the buck dropped in his tracks! Unreal, this was her first hunt with her new 300BO and it was impressive results.

We all celebrated and made our way down the sendero to the buck. He was a perfect management deer but his right G2 was broken off.

Upon finding the deer we realized she shot him through the neck. Reese immediately came clean and said that wasn’t where she was aiming, lol. I’d rather be luck than good any day. But yes, we got real lucky with this one. I’ll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Glad it all worked out!

Comment

Great deer. Lucky or not that is perfect shot placement. That is all of our anchor point in this household. Kid did shoot one behind shoulder with black powder and it piled up in the middle of a bunch of prickly pear this year. Great times and memories for both of you

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome job. Atta girl!

Comment

Good job girl!!!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Great deer. Congrats to her!

Comment

That smile on her face speaks volumes! Well done!

Comment

Congratulations to her!

Comment

Congrats. Nice Buck

Comment

That’s awesome, congrats to you both!

Comment

Nice one, congrats to your daughter

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats to her