New fence cost per linear foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fence cost per linear foot

It's looking like we need to get a new fence and my neighbor got a quote for $24/foot. This was thrown at me this morning (I didn't even know the neighbors were looking into it). I am definitely not the person to accept something that other people investigated. Here are some of the details on the quote:
    3 rail frame
    Cedar pickets
    2"x 6" treated rot board
    New treated 4" x 4" posts
    Aluminum shank nails
    Overall height 6'6"

Does this sound like a decent price?
    Last edited by TexasLongball; 01-30-2019, 07:23 AM.

It will be per linear ft not sq foot. [emoji16]

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Go find a new community being built talk to the fence supervisor, they will usually build it for $17-19 dollars a foot depending on how many feet you have.

I just got a quote the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
        It will be per linear ft not sq foot. [emoji16]

.....and God Bless America.
        I know I know...title says linear foot but I'm also planning to redo my backyard and had square feet on the brain. Thanks.

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
        Go find a new community being built talk to the fence supervisor, they will usually build it for $17-19 dollars a foot depending on how many feet you have.

I just got a quote the other day.
        I'll likely put mine out for bid but I was a little shocked when I did the math and realized how much my fence will be.

Comment

I build fences and do landscaping for a living, that's a good price

Comment

We did a fence about a year and a half ago. I believe they charged us $16 per linear foot. I don't think we had the rot board. (I think that is the board across the bottom.) They also did like 6 houses. I was told it was a very good price, but I am not the type of person that investigates these type of things. They did a decent job, a few of the boards have broken since though, I noticed they were not nailed correctly, might have been my dogs/my neighbors dogs messing with them.

I ended up over paying for the fence too. They charged me and my neighbor on one side. I had a little bit of a hard time getting a refund from the fence company. They were not very responsive for months (not that I was really persistent in bugging them.) I ended up leaving a review on their Facebook page and that got their attention. Something else to pay attention too.

I will say the fence was greatly needed and it was kind of hard to get everyone together even though all my neighbors were willing to do it, which is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktree View Post
              Thanks. I found an online estimator and that came out to be a little over $27/foot. Perhaps it's not so bad after all.

Comment

That's a good price for cedar pickets. A few months ago I paid a few dollars less than that per foot but also used #2 pine

Comment

We had ours done a while back. They used metal posts and cedar pickets and it was $20 per foot. No treated board at the bottom. A lot depends on where you live. In Katy that may be a good price.

Comment

built 105' fence at my house by myself with treated pine. cost me $900 in material, or around $9 a foot, but **** that was a long 2 solid days of work. Had to dig all the post holes with a post hole digger. Next fence I'm paying someone.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                      built 105' fence at my house by myself with treated pine. cost me $900 in material, or around $9 a foot, but **** that was a long 2 solid days of work. Had to dig all the post holes with a post hole digger. Next fence I'm paying someone.
                      This is where I'm at! Digging out the old posts and sinking the new ones is what I won't do. The rest I would do myself....but I kinda don't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                        This is where I'm at! Digging out the old posts and sinking the new ones is what I won't do. The rest I would do myself....but I kinda don't want to.
                        You don't realize how many screws you're fixing to be handling until you get into it and think **** 6 per picket at 210ish pickets... lol

Comment

I did mine myself. Ran me about $85/ft. for 190 ft. Calculate into the per ft price for:

Cedar pickets 8 ft

Cedar 1 x 3 trim for top

Treated kicker on bottom

Treated 4 x4 post. Except on 4ft gate- use 6 x6 post buried deep

Concrete for posts

Rock for hole to allow post proper drainage

Nails

Gate Hardware

Post hole digger

Heavy pry bar to dig through tree roots

Trip to ER for Heart attack from digging tree roots

Co pay for Angiogram and overnight stay in hospital

Labor for BIL that has fence building experience to come and finish the blasted fence that was started but tried to kill you.

Power wash to prepare for stain since fence sat so long and started to grey

Stain and power sprayer for wife to stain the evil cedar fence

Bi-annual trips to cardiologist to be sure heart is back in good condition

2 stress test to confirm you are again healthy enough to not build another fence

Your result may vary.
                          Last edited by JayB; 01-30-2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slicktree View Post
                            Agreed. Don't forget the labor and costs involved with the teardown of the old fence.

Comment

My neighbor had one done on his relatively smallish yard a year or so back. $25-30/linear foot was the normal quote. They knocked it out with 4 guys in two days, first day was just tear down and set posts, so they weren't there all day, second day they built the fence in probably 8hrs. I had no idea privacy fencing was so expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X