Rattling in east Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattling in east Texas?

Anybody have luck rattling in east or northeast Texas?

Todd

I think the doe to buck ratio is to high out in those parts to have good success at rattling

Comment

I don't know, I was not in east Texas but near Gatesville yesterday and rattled up 2 axis does and 2 whitetail does. Did not see a buck that was a shooter. So in my opinion sometimes curiousity to the ratttling will draw animals in.

Comment

Yes!! I pulled in a mature 8pt (I'm guessing about a 120) from the other side of a clear cut on Saturday morning. This was just south of Lufkin in Angelina county. He came directly across the clear cut and pulled up at 147 yards. He stood there for about 2-3 minutes trying to figure out where I was, but wouldn't come any closer than that. With a rifle, it would have been an easy shot.

Comment

Originally posted by 3pairs12 View Post
          I think the doe to buck ratio is to high out in those parts to have good success at rattling

I hunted there for 20 + years and can tell you that DR DEER and the local poachers keep most of the doe's hammered down. I had the most success rattling the last two weeks of October. The rut is winding down in east Texas at this point though.

Comment

I have tried it several times with no success, I think grunting and bleating will do just as much good.

Comment

I pulled in an 8-point last weekend with a grunt and bleat. I've never had success in ET with rattling, but then I have mostly hunted public lands.

Todd

Comment

I have only had it work on a couple of occasions. I have friends that have had decent success with it. I imagine there are probably more deer that come to them then what most of us realize but we can not ever see them due to the heavy cover. Q2Xlman on here has had good success on several places here in east TX. He rattled in 5 different deer why hunting one of my stands one day and on that same day I had a buck (140") chasing a doe wide open all through the area I was hunting. That was the most rut activity I have ever seen while hunting in east TX.

Comment

I think during the right times it is worth the effort. For us that is prerut before the bucks get locked on does. Our place is in Leon Co. and I have rattled in several bucks over the years, but unless the timing is right I don't bother.
                  BTW our buck/doe ratio is not too bad.
                  pepaw

Comment

rattled in Palestine this past weekend, just finished up my first sequence when a nice buck came charging in, i smoked him...
                    Next bday i rattled in another nice buck for my dad
                    You gotta at least give it a try

Comment

Nope

Comment

In the past I had no luck but to be honest as posted above the ratio was so out of whack that it could not be effective. I havn't tried it in years but I believe due to AR, more does being harvested, and more mature bucks it could be a go.

The rut is just now getting going in my county and never has ended in October.

Comment

Our rut is just getting started in Anderson county, its far from over

Comment

I too, am in Harrison Co. and our rut hasn't even started good yet. Our peak rut is November 18-20th and has been since I started paying attention about 10 years ago. Only saw young bucks chasing does this weekend, the big boys aren't ready yet.

I have had decent success during the peak rut, but timing is everything. I will definitely be out during the weekend before Thanksgiving hoping one of my target bucks slips up.

Comment

I would say that in Panola County the rut is going pretty well now.

Todd

Comment

Working...
                              X