No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a picture of another buck we got a picture of on our place during the 2012-13 season, but we only saw him a couple of times chasing does during the rut:

Comment

Has anyone seen a buck like this:

Several biologists have told me that 6month old bucks will not have hardened antlers and this guy has hardened nubs. He also doesn't have the body of a 6-month old buck either. I was thinking that he probably needs to go, but I would love to get your opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post

Several biologists have told me that 6month old bucks will not have hardened antlers and this guy has hardened nubs. He also doesn't have the body of a 6-month old buck either. I was thinking that he probably needs to go, but I would love to get your opinions.
        when was this pic taken?

Comment

I have had several button bucks pop through and grow little daggers. Also have had them rub the button to hard how .

Comment

I believe that picture was taken in November. Here's another picture of him chasing a 6-month old doe fawn:

This is why I thought he was at least 1.5yrs old because the size of his body compared to the doe fawn he is chasing. Let me know your thoughts.
            Last edited by bgleaton; 06-06-2015, 11:57 AM.

Comment

hmmmmm not sure on this one. He may be a little older like a Late fawn from the year before, I have some fawns I see every year in September-October that still have spots....

Comment

If so, do you think he will always be lacking in the antler department?

Comment

I never judge a buck until he is 3.5-4.5. Lots of factors can make a buck lag behind his genetic potential. Leaving him or taking him out will make zero difference in your genetic pool. Don't get in a hurry to manage the bucks. You still have years of habitat and nutrition improvement before you should worry about a buck like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                    I never judge a buck until he is 3.5-4.5. Lots of factors can make a buck lag behind his genetic potential. Leaving him or taking him out will make zero difference in your genetic pool. Don't get in a hurry to manage the bucks. You still have years of habitat and nutrition improvement before you should worry about a buck like this.

Comment

Beautiful place, thanks for sharing

Hope the hard work pays off and you get the results you are working for

Comment

Thanks Peyton. I like your input. We will continue to work on improving the habitat and nutrition and not worry about antlers until they are in the 4.5yr range.

Comment

Thats a great looking place.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post

Deer like this DON"T matter. Whether you kill him or not it will have ZERO impact on your genetics. Unless your just wanting to kill something to stop feeding it then it's your place go ahead. But I would always recommend to wait till he was at least 3.5 if not 4.5 to make the choice to kill him.

Comment

Here's another picture of the ranch house:

Comment

Does anyone know how to prevent raccoons from getting on top of our protein trough:

Comment

Working...
                                X