Kansas 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas 2011

I am headed to Kansas a couple of weeks for the first time. I have drawn a whitetail/mule deer tag.

This is my first trip to Kansas and have drawn in the central part of the state. I plan to hunt around the Kanopolis Lake area.

Do any of you guys have any experience around this area or tips as to what I should be prepared for?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

did you draw a muzzle loader tag ? if so your chances are great at harvesting a kansas giant....what kind of fields are you hunting ?

Comment

Never had a muley tag there...but there are some giants! Good luck with it!

Comment

Good luck! A buddy and I will be there starting Nov 15 for archery, my buddies dad is going early season ML, this is his sixth year there but first early season. We will be @ Dodge city unit 17 with Ross Trophy Outfitters. This is my first year there, but after seeing the Realtree videos and my friends dad's kills, I am READY to go.
        I dont know that area, I have only been @ Kansas city vicinity.

Comment

I gun hunt in southeast Kansas. Same farms for 6 years now. This advice applies all over the state for gun season. IT GETS COLD!!!! And windy.

Shot my best buck there last year. 315 yards. (Fields are big). Scored 183. Had him on trail can from 2 years before.

My experience there and difference from Texas is: do not blow deer out of your area. They will move to the next farm for a while.

Good luck. Dress warm!!!! My first year there had snow. 4 degrees with high of 13! And I wouldn't trade it for anything. Had a blast.

Body size can fool you. Bucks are 250-300 lbs. Main beams are 25 inches.

All of this is for whitetails.

Comment

Originally posted by bbuck8 View Post
            Shot my best buck there last year. 315 yards. (Fields are big). Scored 183. Had him on trail can from 2 years before.

Congrats! Bucket list buck right there!

br

Comment

Originally posted by bbuck8 View Post
              I gun hunt in southeast Kansas. Same farms for 6 years now. This advice applies all over the state for gun season. IT GETS COLD!!!! And windy.

My experience there and difference from Texas is: do not blow deer out of your area. They will move to the next farm for a while.

Good luck. Dress warm!!!! My first year there had snow. 4 degrees with high of 13! And I wouldn't trade it for anything. Had a blast.

Body size can fool you. Bucks are 250-300 lbs. Main beams are 25 inches.

All of this is for whitetails.
              Agree with this even though most of my hunting is with bow. have only bird hunted around Kanopolis Lake but have seen plenty of deer while walking for quail and pheasant. Impression is mostly W.T., edge of Mulie terrritory. further North or West will be more Mulies. some big deer in the area. Good Luck, I LOVE KS and would be my second choice to live after TX (lived in KS for 10 years)

Comment

I would like to hunt Kansas one of these days. Good luck on your trip!

Comment

I have hunted the Kanopolis area for 6 years now. You wont have to worry about using your Mulie tag. Are you hunting private property? I can tell you that the public lands are normally flooded with people. I hunt private property that butts up to public land. The locals that I hunt with every year do a lot of deer pushes that consist of public and private land. At least 1 person from our group has killed a nice deer every year. Good luck and if you are there during rifle season give me a shout. I usually get there on the Monday night before gun season starts and stay till that following Sunday.

Comment

The area I hunt has locals that push deer. I think that is the way they learn to hunt. And that is ok because we sit in place. Don't let body size fool you a 250+lb buck is common and those antlers won't look that big until you get em in your hands.
                    Good Luck!

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the respons and information.

Yes, I have a muzzleloader tag and the season opens Sept. 19th. I have already gathered that I will not see any muleys but I have the tag in case. I plan to hunt for the entire first week and then I will have to get back to Texas.

My tag is good for units 3 and 4, so I have also considered the Wilson lake area. I have heard of some good bucks coming out of that area as well.

I was hoping that the number of people in the woods would be much less during muzzleloader season as opposed to rifle.

Comment

This is my second year to archery hunt Kansas (southeast). Went up last week and planted some food plots and set out some camera's. Corn is being harvested now and i think the soybeans may be harvested early this year due to the warm/drier than normal year they have had. lots of good advice above, especially about the wind and cold (also take some clothes for warm weather, it can be cold in the mornings and hot in the afternoons). Be sure to take a camera with you, seems like there is just an abundance of wildlife there. I see a lot of bobcats, foxes, quail and turkey. Im not sure about your location, but where we are there is nothing but small towns, so take everything you need with you.

lots of big tree's there as well, climbing sticks and a hang on stand are nice to have. i've found the higher the better there! Good Luck!!

Comment

archery season and muzzle loader season begin on the same date correct?

Comment

Originally posted by JM76 View Post
                              archery season and muzzle loader season begin on the same date correct?
                              you are correct

Comment

Working...
                              X