Is 3-D archery in decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
    IMO there should be time limits and group sizes should be reduced for the really long stabilizer people.

Technically there are already time limit rules in most, if not all 3D organizations, but unfortunately I seldom see them enforced.

Comment

we struggle to get 20 it seems at a monthly shoot.
      That number may be low, but not by much.
      A lot of guys I know just hunt and shoot their block target at home.

Comment

Monthly shoots

sorry double post.

Comment

lot of guys don't want to get thier bow slow enough to shoot 3d

Comment

I would shoot more 3D if it was more convenient. Just being honest.

I go to shoots primarily to hang out with folks on here that I only get to hang out with at 3D shoots. I also shoot trad and have met most folks on here at 3D shoots. The problem is, it seems the closest shoot is an hour away and often times 2 hours away. That means if I am shooting a round, I am already investing in up to 4 hours of a weekend day to just travel. Hard to do with a family that isn't really into shooting, etc.

I'd almost rather there be a 15 shot round on a weekday evening... because weekends seem to be more precious than weekday evening... but then it would have to be close.

Comment

For me it’s location and price. For starters It’s the drive time to get to a 3d range and get at least a few practice runs in, then there’s the cost of admission to the range coupled with the always rising cost of components ect. I don’t have enough money to devote to shooting 3D. I’d love to but I can buy a factory second buck target once a year and just shoot in my backyard for 1/10th the cost of shooting 3D for half the year

Comment

Yes!!! So much agree with the large "groups" being anoying and slowing up the progress of movement. I shot the R100 this year at CCR and the first day I got behind a group of 13 people in one single group. I understand ya wanna shoot with ur friends,kids,ect 3 4 people in a group is cool. Much over that really slows up progress especially on 2 and 3 target stations. Im a single shooter,some times get invited to join other groups of 2 or 3 but I like shooting alone. Always scared Im going to robinhood or crack someones arrow. And at the cost of some of these target arrows,I dnt wanna do that to anyone

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I love shooting in them, but just don’t have the time to dedicate an entire Sunday to them. The closest ones were Fredericksburg or Canyon Lake for me, I’d leave at 9:00 a.m., and not get home until evening. The cons outweighed the pros for me.

Comment

Originally posted by beararcher_84 View Post
                    Yes!!! So much agree with the large "groups" being anoying and slowing up the progress of movement. I shot the R100 this year at CCR and the first day I got behind a group of 13 people in one single group. I understand ya wanna shoot with ur friends,kids,ect 3 4 people in a group is cool. Much over that really slows up progress especially on 2 and 3 target stations. Im a single shooter,some times get invited to join other groups of 2 or 3 but I like shooting alone. Always scared Im going to robinhood or crack someones arrow. And at the cost of some of these target arrows,I dnt wanna do that to anyone

Are you not allowed to play through in 3d archery?, thats common courtesy in golf if someone in behind a slower group. I have to agree its in decline from what I saw on two shoots this weekend, not near the #'s there used to be. Very few shooters.

Comment

Some let u go ahead,others dont. But its a pain to skip couple targets,then backtrack and get the missed targets,then possibly get behind another group. Especially when its right in the middle of the course

Comment

Great discussion!!! I shoot the Deerman events primarily and we’ve been discussing this exact topic. It appears that the 3D world has been saturated with a ton of shoots every weekend. Between qualifiers, club shoots, shop events and pro ams there is literally more options than ever for the shooter. Is this a good thing? Maybe not. As mentioned earlier a lot of the “Pro” shooters have pushed the market to a place where the cost of competing can be overwhelming. Where are the hunters going? I get a lot of feedback from friends that hunt but don’t shoot 3D that they are not comfortable with competing with a hunting rig vs a target rig so they choose not to get involved anywhere. I like the statement posted earlier that time constraints also play into the decision. I had not considered that point of view but see where a event can take from 9am to 4pm to complete and that wipes out a full day. I love the sport at every level. I have shot trad with great folks. I’ve shot ASA with great folks and I shoot the Deerman events mainly for the ministry environment they provide. I hope this is just a glitch on the radar that will correct itself and more people get out and enjoy the sport. I think the programs in the local schools will go a long way to help as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot my hunting bow in the womens hunter class,but shoot a lighter arrow than I use hunting. While I probably could shoot the open class,im comfortable out to 60 on targets with this bow. Just dosent seam fair when Im shooting open sights peep,and others are essentially looking through binos on there sights,at the exact scoreing rings

Comment

we shoot deermen and most rigs are hunting rigs we do shoot the asa also but have to say the deermen seem more layed back and less pressure. beararcher you are so correct on the r100 me and my daughter go caught up by that group we skipped the target just to get in front of them. I think we let you jump in with us on a few targets so you could get ahead of them and us. I for one hate being slowed down but also hate slowing down. My 10 year old hold what seems like for ever trying to make the perfect shoot. For me atleast yes I am giving up most of the day to shoot but lucky for me unless my 16 year old has something else going on I am shooting as a family just missing the wife but canot get her to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by lk05077 View Post
                              we shoot deermen and most rigs are hunting rigs we do shoot the asa also but have to say the deermen seem more layed back and less pressure. beararcher you are so correct on the r100 me and my daughter go caught up by that group we skipped the target just to get in front of them. I think we let you jump in with us on a few targets so you could get ahead of them and us. I for one hate being slowed down but also hate slowing down. My 10 year old hold what seems like for ever trying to make the perfect shoot. For me atleast yes I am giving up most of the day to shoot but lucky for me unless my 16 year old has something else going on I am shooting as a family just missing the wife but canot get her to shoot.
                              Probably is u,yes. I did shoot with a gentleman and his young daughter. She was talking about u getting a motorcycle?

Comment

yup was us no motorcycle. she has a new bow on the way and her sister a new bow. If you have never tried the deermen I would give it a try. Rules are a little different on equipment and most shoot hunting rigs. Also a deermen is way more layed back and never an easy shoot. asa is not easy ether but at asa you are not shooting skunks or from blinds or threw the trees

Comment

Working...
                                X