Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated the cell booster at camp this past weekend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated the cell booster at camp this past weekend...

After 7 years of the Zboost booster with a cheaper halo antenna and it finally kicking the bucket, we decided to do some research and get an updated unit that was in tune with new technology....namely 4G and LTE. After mucho OCD research, I decided to go with WeBoost, formerly Wilson, because of Wilson's quality and name and it proved to be a good choice..

The unit I decided on was the WeBoost 470103, http://store.weboost.com/products/connect-4g, because it has a directional antenna instead of a cheaper halo antenna........and we have a Sprint guy with our 6 AT&T families so we needed multiple cell company coverage..

The closest 4G signal is on our north end and comes from Christoval. With our camp being on the extreme south end with hills and valleys in between we knew it was going to be a challenge. The coverage maps from AT&T shows it stops before we get to our front gate but was hoping with the directional antenna, we could get it to lock on at a distance. We went in knowing it was a 50/50 shot but anything would beat the hell out of no service inside the metal cabin and next to nothing outside. I also had a 30 day return policy no questions asked so it was worth a shot.

Using the Iphone in Field Test mode, it took us a few hours to get it set up and find our best signal because our camp is surrounded by tall oak trees but in between all the other items on the lease work week agenda, we found time to get it working. We still might move it to the back of the cabin since the signal was a little better back there due to a larger opening between the trees, but for now it is good. It will occasionally drop to no service inside but it will go back to 4G soon afterwards. I am thinking it is due to the distance but the occasional hiccup we can handle for 90%+ hook up. As a whole, we can surf the internet with good speeds, watch video, text, send pics and of course talk on the phone once it gets locked on. Compared to 100% no service, no phone and no texts inside the metal cabin and next to none outside, it is night and day improvement. We are currently researching a splitter and an outside weatherproof antenna so we can shoot it out over camp. Anyway...we are very happy with the purchase. No more "not delivered" texts or cannot find internet connection for us..

Didn't get a bunch of pics because it was a hot mutha....but here are a few installed...

The outside view with the directional antenna...Not sure why the phone camera fish-eyed this and made everything on the outside edge look like it was leaning but its not..lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	cell booster 2015a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	25060999

Inside with the black booster and the white square internal antenna.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cell booster 2015.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	25061000
    Last edited by Smart; 07-20-2015, 06:43 PM.

Way cool Jason! What did the entire system set y'all back $ wise? As you know we are southwest of you guys toward Ozona in no-mans land and have ZERO service at our camp.
    We can drive to a certain area on the ranch and sometimes get a weak LTE signal but it's very inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
      Way cool Jason! What did the entire system set y'all back $ wise? As you know we are southwest of you guys toward Ozona in no-mans land and have ZERO service at our camp.
      We can drive to a certain area on the ranch and sometimes get a weak LTE signal but it's very inconsistent.
      I got this unit for $500 shipped to my door. They have a few cheaper but we wanted to get full cabin coverage and the best antenna available in a package deal.

Had we not had the sprint guy it would have been $100-150 cheaper.

I know what you mean by inconsistent. It almost seems as if the signals are rotating on a tower between, no service, out of network and 4G/LTE..

Comment

Looking into a unit our selfs, so thanks for the info

Comment

Nice set up. The 2 places I get very little to no signal is he camp house and the bay house and I have NO intentions of fixing that "problem" any time soon. I'm also not very remote and don't have to go far to get an acceptable signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
            Nice set up. The 2 places I get very little to no signal is he camp house and the bay house and I have NO intentions of fixing that "problem" any time soon. I'm also not very remote and don't have to go far to get an acceptable signal.

We like to have connections to the wives and kids for emergencies and to be able to send and receive successful kill pics to buddies at other leases...

Its easy to block out work calls on silent..
            Last edited by Smart; 07-20-2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Comment

How far can yall be from the inside signal sender thingy and it still work good? The one I have from Wilson which was about $350 a couple years ago, I have to basically be sitting right next to it for it to work but it is better than nothing for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  How far can yall be from the inside signal sender thingy and it still work good? The one I have from Wilson which was about $350 a couple years ago, I have to basically be sitting right next to it for it to work but it is better than nothing for sure.
                  Sounds like you got the desktop or DS model. There is signal anywhere in the cabin and if I open my door I can stand outside and get it.....supposed to do 5,000 sq feet house on a good signal.

Comment

Mine was supposed to do the entire room(up to 25') but that hasnt panned out.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                      Mine was supposed to do the entire room(up to 25') but that hasnt panned out.

I was told that about the desktop but was also told the distance severely drops the weaker signal.

Comment

Sounds like an upgrade is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          We are without full Cell Service a whole 3 days and the world is coming to an end!!....

Its a desert! No Cell Service! We are all gonna die! Save us Jesus!

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post

Stupid....see post 6

Comment

Once again, handy work Smart! Ya did good

Comment

Working...
                              X