Shooting dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting dogs

After reading Tracey's heartbreaking thread about her beloved companion being shot and reading the many supportive comments, I could not help but remember that often we have read where folks have stated on here that they would SSS (shoot, shovel, and shut up) if they saw a dog on their LEASE near their feeder. I chalked most of those comments up to internet machismo, but now I wonder...

1. Who on here will admit that they have posted such?

2. Did you really mean it, or did your fingers just type without giving it much thought as to the consequences of such actions?

I was wondering the same thing when I read that thread. Very curious as well

Comment

Shooting dogs

When I lived on my grandparents ranch we regularly shot stray dogs. It's just the way it was. Nearest neighbors were miles away and we knew what kind of dogs they ran. It's just how things were growing up. I hunt at my dad's place now and he has a couple of neighbors relatively close so without knowing them or their dogs I would not shoot first and ask questions later. But, in saying that just two weeks ago we had to shoot a dog chasing his sheep.

Comment

I hunted a 200 acre place where 2 dogs cleared out every deer. When the dogs went away the deer came back. It was like night and day...............

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          After reading Tracey's heartbreaking thread about her beloved companion being shot and reading the many supportive comments, I could not help but remember that often we have read where folks have stated on here that they would SSS (shoot, shovel, and shut up) if they saw a dog on their LEASE near their feeder. I chalked most of those comments up to internet machismo, but now I wonder...

1. Who on here will admit that they have posted such?

2. Did you really mean it, or did your fingers just type without giving it much thought as to the consequences of such actions?
          I was just thinking a post like this was in order. Only dog I would shoot is a yote.

Comment

IBTL, hold on, my popcorn is in the microwave, this is gonna get GOOD

Comment

I never have posted or done such. I did have a person who let me bowhunt his property a couple years here that asked me to please shoot any dog that came by, especially the big white one. They would run the cattle when they were on the property grazing.
              Fortunately, I never saw them. I am pretty sure I would not have as I did not know who they belonged to or the full story. I actually prayed every hunt that the dogs would not show up so I would not have to find out what I would do in such a situation.
              Some time ago, like over 20 years ago when I lived in Pilot Point and was pregnant, I had a Samoyed female and she was in heat and in the house. I only had the screen door closed, the neighbors pit bull came barrelling in and tried to tear thru the door. I just started yelling and that made the dog mad. The neighbors son came to my yelling and got the dog away. He then immediately went and got a rifle and shot it. This kiddo loved that dog but would not put up with that behavior.

Comment

I don't know if I've ever posted SSS but the decision to shoot strays or coyotes is always based on ranching and not deer hunting. Can't have dogs and coyotes chasing calves.

Comment

The only way I'd ever shoot a dog would be if it was attacking me.

Comment

I have posted it. There is a difference between a tracking dog wearing a bell and a dog someone refuses to keep up. Some folks moved in up the road from me....I keep a few chickens. Before they arrived I had 28 birds...now I have 5. They claim it can't be their dog. I promise I will kill that SOB then next time he shows up. Now if they would have had a different attitude about it. I might do something different but the only way to solve me problem will be to drive the SOB like I own him. Different situations need to be handled in different ways. You can't paint everything with the same brush.

-john

Comment

Circumstances are everything. What is commonly posted here is not tantamount to Tracy's scenario and i don't think you can reasonably draw lines between the two.

Comment

There is a difference between shooting a dog with a collar/bell around its neck (that the kid admittedly knew) and random strays chasing game & cattle.

No, I've never typed (that I can recollect).

But I do think about it when I "relocate"the cats that terrorize my dumpster, some tearful 9 yo girl is missing her "fluffy"
                        Last edited by Playa; 01-08-2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Seriously not trying to stir anything up (this time), but wanted to know who will admit it, and hopefully some will rethink their stance.

Comment

if they are chasing deer....see ya!....the single strays, usually get a free pass....but then most will drop a bob cat or yote in a second....is there a real difference?....In our case we hunt, in Traceys case...he aint a hunter

Comment

I have never said that, however I do have a pic with my cell phone of a freaken house cat just chillin under my feeder for almost a hour... I was so tempted to try and shoot it.
                              But as far as shooting a dog, na, not gonna happen.
                              Now my uncle owns a high fence ranch and three pits got in one of his breeding pens and killed two of his deer, he killed all three of them and told the owner about it... The owner was glad he didnt sue him since the deer were so exspensive...

Comment

Working...
                              X