New blind coming along quite nicely....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New blind coming along quite nicely....

On the advice of several here I decided to build the new dwelling where I can take it apart. It'll be easier for trailering (especially with my last trailering episode of the Smart Mahal for 5 hours in 25-30mph winds) and storing....

First... some measuring fluid and the token TBH koozie requirement for all construction.....

Floor framed. Went overboard with bracing but I'm a big ol boy. Tried to concentrate it where we'd be sitting at the back just offsetting the bracing.

Floor topped with 3/4" plywood. Thank God they sell 2x2 squares. Went with standard versus treated since it'll be sitting on 4" concrete blocks off the ground as well as painted with exterior paint. Treated wood was double in price and heavier to work with.....especially working by myself.

The basic frame ....all individual sides ....front is to the left. I allowed more space in the front third of the side bracing for peep windows depending on how I cut them. I just wanted to have the option to make them wider if I needed.

Added door and roof frames. Made the door larger on this one so I can get in with backpack on. The 5x5 didn't quite work out that way.

Will add a few more braces to the roof and then it's time to start skinning it and installing the door. Then it's time to cut the shooting windows, add window covers, shelves radiant barrier and tin. Hope to have it painted by middle of this week if all goes well. The Wagner should make that a breeze versus the rolling I did last time.

Amazingly everything has gone quite smoothly working alone and the wind has kept it bearable working early in the morning and later in the evening/night. Off to bed ....will post more pics as it moves along.
    Last edited by Smart; 06-13-2008, 11:49 PM.

Looking good!

Comment

Look's good man is measuring fluid and aiming oil the same thing?

Comment

Looking good Smart. I'm not sure how much them L clips cost that you are useing, but always having some extra steel laying around I make some out of
        angle iron to keep the cost down. If you have any it's idea if not then you may be cheaper to keep doing what your doing instead of going out and buying some steel. Keep work pics coming.

Comment

Hey,

It looks good so far.........What size will this one be when it is finished?

Comment

Looking good Smart.

Comment

Dude, that is great!

Comment

Originally posted by onetime View Post
                Look's good man is measuring fluid and aiming oil the same thing?
                One in the same ...

Originally posted by SlickTrick View Post
                Looking good Smart. I'm not sure how much them L clips cost that you are useing, but always having some extra steel laying around I make some out of
                angle iron to keep the cost down. If you have any it's idea if not then you may be cheaper to keep doing what your doing instead of going out and buying some steel. Keep work pics coming.
                L clips are $1.75 for 5 but these didn't cost me anything this time around. I am officially out of the ones I had from a previous build so bowhuntntxn (Glenn) can rest easily.... Honestly I use them to add strength. Plus they keep me from splitting a lot of 2x2s even with a pilot hole and counter sink. I hate working with 2x2s becase they split and are rarely straight..... but unfortunately they are a necessary evil here.

Originally posted by thearrower View Post
                Hey,

It looks good so far.........What size will this one be when it is finished?
                6 x 6 x 6'4" Randall....should be an easier transfer from Denton than the first. Hopefully this one doesn't involve a Taurus..

Comment

Looking really good.

Comment

Is that the Beast disguised in that good lookin kookie?

Comment

Originally posted by prkchp View Post
                      Is that the Beast disguised in that good lookin kookie?

Yes it is....finest of the fine....

Comment

Me likey too . y the way the blind looks good also .

Comment

Nice Smart but it doesn't look big enough for your head

Comment

That looks great Smart.

Comment

Nice work Smart.

I forgot to call you, but we are now minus two corn thieves. Moon pies were not on the menu this time. We stepped up our effort and used some Oatmeal Creme pies. We would have caught a third, but Randall's 1912 model trap didn't get the job done.

Comment

Working...
                              X