Stock Straightening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Straightening?

I recently ordered a Boyds Thumbhole stock and the fitment.....leaves something to be desired. One side has a gap at least 1/16" and possibly pushing 1/8". The other side is pressing against the barrel. I have tried loosening the bolts and adjusting without success. Anyone have any suggestions for straightening the forestock?
    Attached Files

I’d look into glass bedding it. There’s a lot of good info out there on do it yourself. Thatd be the best way to fix it. All of my body’s have had that issue but bedding them fixed it and they shoot great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by zac221 View Post
      I’d look into glass bedding it. There’s a lot of good info out there on do it yourself. Thatd be the best way to fix it. All of my body’s have had that issue but bedding them fixed it and they shoot great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      I have bedded a couple stocks and it has been a messy pain. I even ruined a stock because it got stuck. Thought I had enough release agent on it and apparently I didn't have enough or missed a spot.

Comment

Sand the channel out or bed it.

Redneck solution idea! Steam it like a cowboy hat and bend it

Comment

get a wooden dowel, broom stick, or even better a socket. Wrap in sandpaper and start slowly removing wood. After sanding for several minutes, check to make sure the barrel and stock lines look even

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
            get a wooden dowel, broom stick, or even better a socket. Wrap in sandpaper and start slowly removing wood. After sanding for several minutes, check to make sure the barrel and stock lines look even

I did this with a wine cork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              Sand the channel out or bed it.

Redneck solution idea! Steam it like a cowboy hat and bend it
              This thought did cross my mind. Wasn't sure it would take though.

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              The dowell and sandpaper was my initial thought, but with such a large gap on the one side I was concerned I would end up with a channel made for a bull barrel before it evened out. More than likely I will end up bedding the stock.

Comment

The recoil lug may not be centered under the action not sure what type of lug a Mossberg has. I have had a few Remington's that had that issue. Not sure which is easier for you to do but you could remove material from the recoil lug inletting and then just bed the lug area if you don't want to bed the action.

Comment

I would send it back to Boyd’s and request a replacement.

Comment

stock

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                    I have bedded a couple stocks and it has been a messy pain. I even ruined a stock because it got stuck. Thought I had enough release agent on it and apparently I didn't have enough or missed a spot.
                    take a dowel rod and Sandpaper and relieve some of the material on that side

Comment

Working...
                    X