Shredder , pto shaft , universal joint, sheer pin help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was shredding and the sheer pin sheared. Part of the pin stayed in. I got it out. Now The end of the universal joint will spin but it will not pull off the shaft. I have attached a 4000 lbs come along and it does not budge. I don’t have a gear puller? Heat won’t help since it with turn on the shaft.

Any suggestions

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7755.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	25215493

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7754.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	25215494

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the shear pin hole in yoke and shaft still aligned?
    Sounds like something is wedged between yoke and shaft (part of pin?).
    Can you piece the shear pin back together and see if any of it is missing?
    Weird, yes, the job of the pin is to shear and LET the yoke spin on the shaft...
    Might have to cut off the yoke if it's jammed.

Comment

You need a BFH.

Comment

Originally posted by Box-R View Post
        Is the shear pin hole in yoke and shaft still aligned?
        Sounds like something is wedged between yoke and shaft (part of pin?).
        Can you piece the shear pin back together and see if any of it is missing?
        Weird, yes, the job of the pin is to shear and LET the yoke spin on the shaft...
        Might have to cut off the yoke if it's jammed.

Yes. I think I could put a new sheer pin in.

Missing the top part of sheer pin

The York will go back a little and forward a little.

Already thought about cutting it off

Don’t want to screw up the gear box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Box-R could be onto something, the shear bolt could have "smeared" cutting a groove between the yoke and input shaft. #2 see if the yoke will move towards the gear box and check the end of the input shaft and make sure there is not a external spring clip on the end of the input shaft. I have seen that done to keep the driveline from coming off of the input shaft and tearing up more stuff.

Comment

Try to spin the yoke with a pipe wrench after you chain your blades to keep everything from spinning
            The shaft probably is boogered up once it spins a little the yoke should come off

Comment

Originally posted by Saddlehorse View Post
              Try to spin the yoke with a pipe wrench after you chain your blades to keep everything from spinning
              The shaft probably is boogered up once it spins a little the yoke should come off

Been spinning pretty freely. Can turn it with my hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Comment

I’m guessing you’re wanting that half of the ujoint yoke off? I’m also guessing when shear pin/bolt sheared it ruined the ujoint in pic next to the gearbox? Just curious, cuz if it’s not ruined, it looks like the ujoint in the pics is fine, outside of the fact you’ve taken it apart/bearing caps off? Anyway, if ujoint is bad, by all means cut it off. If it’s still good, re-assemble it, align pin hole, and put in a new pin. It very well could have a snap ring of sorts inside, I’ve seen different mfg’s use all kinds of ways for that. I’ve worked on a bunch of em over the years. I’ll check back to see if ya post any additional info. Good luck brother! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                  I’m guessing you’re wanting that half of the ujoint yoke off? I’m also guessing when shear pin/bolt sheared it ruined the ujoint in pic next to the gearbox? Just curious, cuz if it’s not ruined, it looks like the ujoint in the pics is fine, outside of the fact you’ve taken it apart/bearing caps off? Anyway, if ujoint is bad, by all means cut it off. If it’s still good, re-assemble it, align pin hole, and put in a new pin. It very well could have a snap ring of sorts inside, I’ve seen different mfg’s use all kinds of ways for that. I’ve worked on a bunch of em over the years. I’ll check back to see if ya post any additional info. Good luck brother! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                  I put that shaft on 2-3 years ago. do not remember a snap ring and did not see one.. I'll look again tomorrow.

Never messed with u joints. I tried to take the u joint apart. Even got the tool from Oreily… Even after looking at you tube. I could not get the u joint apart.... figures u joint are pretty inexpensive so I ended up cutting the u joint out. I might have some luck in putting one back in? Who knows.

Comment

A couple of thoughts then if you haven't messed with u-joints much. Start with a piece of emery cloth or even a flapper roll for your drill. Use it to clean the surfaces in the yoke where the caps fit, it helps a lot I promise. #2 A little extra dab of grease smeared on the needle bearings inside the caps will help them stay in place when your pressing the caps into the yoke. Lol. It helps a lot I promise. #3 I use a c-clamp to press the caps back into place, it gives me good equal pressure.

Comment

I’m sure the pin smeared or grooved the shaft, if you can get a new pin in do it and roll on, if you can’t you may be faced with cutting the end of the u-joint off.

Comment

It doesn't have an auxiliary set screw in it that keeps it from slipping off the shaft when the shear pin shears, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                          It doesn't have an auxiliary set screw in it that keeps it from slipping off the shaft when the shear pin shears, does it?
                          no

Comment

Get a big hammer and knock it off. More than likely it has a grove cut in to the shaft when the shear pin spun. Get a big punch or something and start trying to knock it off. It it is already moving back and forth on the shaft it won’t take many licks to get it moving.

Comment

Slide a rock bar through the u joint hole. Use a BFH and hammer on the rock bar. It should come off. Shear pun likely wedged between yoke and shaft.

Comment

Working...
                              X