Trying traditional pt2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying traditional pt2

Ya'll seem to be well versed in trad bows so how about a couple of more questions. Been looking on e-bay and have noticed different types of shelfs. Is the radiused shelf better than the flat? Would they use the same arrows, I'm assuming they would have to be feathers either way. I've also noticed flippers and plungers. Do these allow for tuning? Can you shoot synthetic vanes using them? I like the looks of the wood bows but they appear to be heavier than "modern" materials, does one type shoot better [easier, less hand shock]? I like the take down design, would it be cost effective to go this route in order to use different # limbs if available ? Thanks for all the valuable info thus far!!

Whew inquiring minds want to know!!!

Radiused is slightly better but you can radius any flat shelved bow by put a toothpick under your rest material. Same arrows - as it the correct spine you are after, feathers all the way!!!

Flippers and plungers do allow for more tuning and the use of plastic vanes.. This is a matter of choice. Some like an elevated rest others shooting off the shelf.
    All wood bows require extra care - they can't be left strung for extended periods of time and do need to be waxed regularly if they have not been sealed with urethane or some other sealant. Modern bows (ones with glass etc.) are a little more durable. You will find that unless you are shooting longbows the hand shock on most recurves is not even noticeable.. If you are leaning to longbows then a R/D bow will offer less hand shock.

A takedown is very prudent as you mentioned 2 or even 3 sets of limbs can be bought for your bow. This also works as you don't have to get familiar with another riser when going to heavier or lighter limbs.

Comment

Working...
    X