Spike? Yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spike? Yes or no?

Having a dilema on this young buck. I think he can grow in to something. Appreciate your input TBH. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Give him a year

Comment

I'd say give him a little time and see what happens in a year or two.

Comment

I personally wouldn't shoot it. The old MLD lease I was on in central Texas said to shoot all spikes and then there was no deer. If you need to reduce your herd you could justify shooting it, but otherwise let it go.

Comment

shoot him if you want. my opinion, he's just young and he will branch / grow next year.

Comment

They take a dirt nap on my place with tines that long and no branch. My luck with the deer in my area is that there are too many deer with little or no brow tines. I try to kill all spikes I see. I have been seeing more deer with brows over the last three years. Did I have an impact, maybe, but I have seen a definite change. Oh, and I have no spikes this year that I have sen.
            Last edited by Speedgoat; 09-30-2014, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clayg08 View Post
              shoot him if you want. my opinion, he's just young and he will branch / grow next year.
              Thanks, thinking the same as you Sir!

Comment

I personally would wait.

Comment

Give him another yr. This is exactly what happens on our lease in Starr county every idiot out there wants to kill the " spikes".

Comment

Still has milk on the chin! Lol, but if it was me, he's walking.

Comment

Gah you run your feeder for a long time, thats alot o corn on the ground

Comment

Originally posted by CoolArrow View Post
                        Give him another yr. This is exactly what happens on our lease in Starr county every idiot out there wants to kill the " spikes".
                        idiot?

Comment

It is all about numbers, carrying capacity of the land, and over all buck to doe ratio's. People tend to be in the shoot or don't shoot with really no good science on either. If you have plenty of bucks on your place and want to shoot him go ahead, if you don't have a lot of bucks then maybe lay off. On bad drought years the vast majority of yearling bucks will be spikes. On good years with timely rain and decent vegetation you should see very few spikes. The no brow tines is a totally different trait. I have several friends with leases around Gatesville that have deer with very short to no brow tines even at mature ages.
                          Last edited by Bminchew; 09-30-2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
                            They take a dirt nap on my place with tines that long and no branch. My luck with the deer in my area is that there are too many deer with little or no brow tines. I try to kill all spikes I see. I have been seeing more deer with brows over the last three years. Did I have an impact, maybe, but I have seen a definite change. Oh, and I have no spikes this year that I have sen.

rain helps

He looks like he is 1.5. He gets a pass from us..

Comment

I bet hes gonna be a nice 8 pointer next year. I would give him a year or two

Comment

Working...
                              X