Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is considered Livestock to qualify Ag Exempt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is considered Livestock to qualify Ag Exempt?

Like title says,

Goats?
    Sheep?
    Cattle, Which I already know is a livestock.

What is best animal to stock for this much land, or partial of our land. 5 acres in the middle will be mainly our house being built on it. Front will probably be where we stock animals on. Back end of our property probably will be used for hunting dove, hog, deer and other animals. Plant some wild sunflower, some kind of food plot and such.

I have 32.5 acres give or take

Do I need to have all of the land grazed by livestock or partial?

I do not have broadband to be able to access internet to.research and I do not have time as April 30 is comin up. Im using my phone data to turn on the internet on laptop. I am already low on data on my phone.

Appreciate if I can get a quick lowdown so we can be prepare to stock animals as soon as we move down there next month or mid June. To keep Ag Ex status.

Oh I really want to try avoid cattle! :thumbup:

Comment

If hunting I would personally do cows and not goats/sheep.

Get as few cows as will qualify. Does not have to be all land, but i forget how much

Comment

In MS the number is 8 cows

Comment

Could you get a wildlife management exemption?

Comment

I think for wildlife you have to have 100+ acres. My sister has 88 and doesn't qualify. Anything I put about Ag Exemptions would be a guess

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
              Could you get a wildlife management exemption?
              Check other thread....AG has more benefits

Comment

To be safe call your local appraisal district.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
                  I think for wildlife you have to have 100+ acres. My sister has 88 and doesn't qualify. Anything I put about Ag Exemptions would be a guess
                  the limit for wildife(at least for us) is in the ballpark of 14-17 acres. There must be another reason she does not qualify?

Comment

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
                    the limit for wildife(at least for us) is in the ballpark of 14-17 acres. There must be another reason she does not qualify?
                    In Caldwell, 20 acres.

30-30, to ans ur ? We just got approved recently for Wildlife Ex but in my other thread, I called App.Office to try switch back to Ag Ex.from former owner to our name.because of tax exemption benefit.

Which is why Im asking about livestock in case the office switch us back to Ag Ex under our name. So we can stock animals on it.

I really am trying to avoid cattle on our prop. I had em on our prop almost all year last year and they are most p.i.a.! Lol...

I want something small and manageable!

Comment

One needs an Ag exemption for 5 out of 7 years to be able to convert over to Wildlife.

Agriculture Property Tax Valuation FAQs
                      Q1. I'm appraised for agriculture and have been running goats on my 12 acres for the past nine years. I want to change to wildlife management, but my county says there is a minimum acreage of 16 acres.
                      A. Under the law there are no minimum acreage requirements for wildlife management. There is only one exception, and that is for land that is being broken apart and sold. In order to determine whether or not minimum acreage requirements apply, use the test of eligibility:
                      a. Has ownership changed since the previous tax year? AND
                      b. Has the tract been reduced in size since the previous tax year?
                      If the answers to both questions are yes, then minimum acreage requirements apply. If the answer to just one of the questions is yes, then minimum acreage requirements do not apply. Therefore, in the situation described in this question, minimum acreage requirements do not apply.
                      Q2. Is it true that I have to have all my management practices in place before I am able to apply for wildlife management?
                      A. No. A wildlife management plan is required, but completion of all the activities chosen is not a prerequisite.
                      Q3. Can the county require me to do certain management practices, such as conducting census?
                      A. No. It is the landowner's choice as to which three management practices they choose to do. The only requirement for these practices is that they must be appropriate to the species being managed for, and appropriate for the size of the property.
                      Q4. I am told that one acre of my property will be taxed at full market value as a house site. Is this applicable even though I do not have any structures on my property?
                      A. No. There is quite a bit of confusion about what is referred to as "one acre for a home-site." During the rule-making process that created these standards, a major issue had been over what is referred to as "primary use." The primary use of land appraised for Open Space (either wildlife or traditional agriculture) should be open space, and not residential.
                      In order to be able to determine that a majority of the property was being used for wildlife management without the necessity of measuring each and every tract of land to calculate the size of the wildlife use area in proportion to the size of the current or potential non-wildlife use area, the formula "tract size minus 1, divided by the tract size" was developed. The "one" serves no purpose except to enable us to arrive at an acreage figure that meets the percent of land devoted to wildlife management as designated for each of the four sections of the state. The "one" in the formula has no unit of measure. It does not stand for "1 acre" as is still a common public misconception.
                      However, once you build a structure on the property, then yes, that structure and (usually, but not always) one acre will be taxed at market value.
                      Q5. I'm told that once I build a home on my property I must acquire an additional acre of land in order to continue to meet the minimum acreage size set by my county for wildlife management.
                      A. The purchase of an additional acre is not required. Ownership of the property has not changed, and the addition of a home to the property has not reduced the overall size of the property. The new home and (generally) one acre will be taxed at market value, while the remaining acreage will continue to be taxed at the productivity (agriculture/wildlife management use) rate.
                      This question is similar to Q4 above in that it still relates to the misconception of one acre being dedicated for a home site. In order to determine whether or not minimum acreage requirements apply, use the test of eligibility:
                      a. Has ownership changed since the previous tax year? AND
                      b. Has the tract been reduced in size since the previous tax year?
                      If the answers to BOTH questions are yes, then minimum acreage requirements apply. If the answer to just one of the questions is yes, then minimum acreage requirements do not apply. Since the answers to both questions in this situation are no, the property still qualifies for wildlife management appraisal.
                      Q6. If I sell my property that was "grandfathered" into wildlife management, does the property continue to be grandfathered?
                      A. Yes, provided the property size remains intact, and all other requirement are being met, the grandfathered status goes with the property. Refer also to the eligibility questions mentioned in Q5.
                      Q7. My property is next to a large tract of land being managed for wildlife and the wildlife comes onto my property as well. Can I apply for the wildlife management option because of this?
                      A. Each piece of property must meet the requirement of eligibility on its own. If the property is appraised for agriculture and the answers to a. and b. in Q1 & 5 above have at least one "no" answer, then the property is eligible to apply for wildlife management.
                      If the property is not appraised for agriculture, or if it is required to meet minimum acreage requirements and fails to do so, then regardless of the suitability of the property for wildlife management, it does not qualify for the appraisal.
                      However, this does not prevent a landowner from managing for wildlife for their own personal pleasure; it merely means there is no tax advantage for doing so.
                      Q8. My neighbor and I each have small tracts of land. May we form a Wildlife Management Association or Co-op and manage our land together in order to be eligible for wildlife management appraisal?
                      A. No because each piece of property must be able to qualify on its own. Please refer to the answer in Q7. Although landowners in Wildlife Property Associations are eligible to manage for wildlife on acreages that are somewhat smaller than the established minimums for tracts of land being subdivided and sold, these associations are not the same as Wildlife Management Associations or "co-ops". These tracts of land are sold with deed restrictions and/or other legally-binding covenants that obligate present and future landowners to manage for wildlife.
                      Q9. How does the county know if a wildlife management plan is any good if TPWD does not have to approve it?
                      A. Remember, wildlife management for ad valorem tax purposes is not about the quality of the management taking place, but rather whether or not the landowner is meeting the criteria established for qualification.
                      Best management practices, although certainly desirable regardless of the agricultural practice being employed, are not legally required. Nor does the law require a landowner to be successful, either in wildlife management or in traditional agriculture; it does require a landowner to demonstrate good faith effort.
                      The law does not require TPWD to approve a wildlife management plan, provide a letter certifying the property is meeting requirements, or even to consult and/or assist landowners with their wildlife management plan.
                      Q10. I recently inherited the family's ag appraised property that I would like to convert over to wildlife management use, but it does not meet the minimum acreage established by the county. The county is also telling me that I do not qualify because the grandfather clause only applies to property that was already in wildlife management prior to January 1, 2002.
                      A. In this situation the grandfather clause is totally irrelevant. As long as you inherited the entire tract of land, minimum acreage requirements do not apply. Minimum acreages only apply when a change in ownership is also accompanied by a reduction in tract size. Change in ownership alone does not trigger the minimum acreage requirement.
                      Q11. I have property that overlaps into two counties. Why is the wildlife management plan form in one county different from the one in the other county?
                      A. The forms should be identical. Sec. 9.4003(d)(1) of the Texas Administrative Code, Title 34 Public Finance says that "a wildlife management plan shall be completed on a form supplied by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department..." This means the counties not only must use this form, it also makes no provisions for counties to be able to change it. The correct form is available on the TPWD web site.
                      Q12. My application for wildlife management has been turned down. What do I do now?
                      A. First, examine your application. Did you:
                      a. Complete and sign your 1-d-1 Open Space Appraisal Application?
                      b. Complete and sign your wildlife management plan?
                      c. Turn in your application before the May 1 deadline?
                      Are you:
                      d. Currently appraised for 1-d-1 agriculture?
                      e. If applicable, meeting acreage requirements?
                      f. Managing to propagate a sustaining breeding, migrating, or wintering population of indigenous wild animals?
                      g. Indicating the 3 out of the 7 management practices you will pursue?
                      h. Managing at an appropriate intensity level?
                      Next, call your CAD and make an appointment to go in and talk to your appraiser. Many times the form letters sent out do not have the capacity to indicate exactly what the deficiency is on your application. The problem may be something simple and easily corrected, but the only recourse an appraiser may have is to deny an application on the assumption that the landowner will contact them for an informal hearing where the problem can be discussed. Should the informal hearing not be satisfactory, the next step is to appear before the Appraisal Review Board.

Comment

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
                        If hunting I would personally do cows and not goats/sheep.

Why is that?^^^^

Get as few cows as will qualify. Does not have to be all land, but i forget how much
                        Cows r usually very expensive to buy arent they?

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Assassin View Post
                          In Caldwell, 20 acres.

30-30, to ans ur ? We just got approved recently for Wildlife Ex but in my other thread, I called App.Office to try switch back to Ag Ex.from former owner to our name.because of tax exemption benefit.

Which is why Im asking about livestock in case the office switch us back to Ag Ex under our name. So we can stock animals on it.

I really am trying to avoid cattle on our prop. I had em on our prop almost all year last year and they are most p.i.a.! Lol...

I want something small and manageable!
                          I'm not following your train of thought. If it was previously in ag and now it is approved for wildlife why do you want to switch it back to ag? It should be revenue neutral and the practices you want to do in the back should keep you qualified for wildlife exemption.

Comment

Ground level...

Its been Ag Ex for more than 20 yrs. So yes, its qualified for Ag Ex just need to switch to our name.

Good read on info given by your post.

Comment

Goats and sheep certainly qualify for Ag Exemption. I would call the local Ag extension agent and find out what the recommended animal per acre and go with the minimum he recommends.

Smaller animals can be a pain to deal with too because they will escape of out regular barb wire fencing easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X