best texas public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best texas public land

Just a question... for anyone who has hunted most of the texas public lands... which one is the best for whitetail? (completely disregard drive or accessability)

I hear there are some out west that are really nice hunting.

Are you talking draw hunts or annual permit hunts or either?

Comment

Both

Comment

I like ft hood my self.. You can have permanent stands and feeder that you can now hunt or muzzle loader / shot gun OR do the guided where they take you to a different area and put you in a stand and you can take your deer rifle.. $100/year and there's always a few big ones killed every year.. As with anything public there are hassles that go along with it.. But I would recommend checking it out..

Comment

20 years ago, easily, it was Amistad. Not anymore. These days, I'd guess Georgetown or S. Llano River SP, or Guadalupe SP or the like.

But what do you mean by "best?" Antlers? Abundance? Quality "hunt"? Easy "hunt?"

I usually travel to Somerville, Sam Houston NF and Amistad every year to bowhunt, but all for different reasons.

Toughest hunt in the state for SURE is Aransas. You gotta be a stud to hunt there with a bow for any length of time.

John

Comment

As stated above by randal. I love some Hood!!!! look into Granger. its a WMA by georgtown

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
              20 years ago, easily, it was Amistad. Not anymore. These days, I'd guess Georgetown or S. Llano River SP, or Guadalupe SP or the like.

But what do you mean by "best?" Antlers? Abundance? Quality "hunt"? Easy "hunt?"

I usually travel to Somerville, Sam Houston NF and Amistad every year to bowhunt, but all for different reasons.

Toughest hunt in the state for SURE is Aransas. You gotta be a stud to hunt there with a bow for any length of time.

John
              I would normally go by deer heard. But since I don't think I will have issues getting any does this year I am looking more for buck harvest and antler size.

Comment

Ive hunted for years but always on private land or leases, I am very interested on how to go about getting public land hunts for next year. I hunt in Trinity on private land. Any suggestions on where/how I can get started for next season would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaHFD View Post
                  Ive hunted for years but always on private land or leases, I am very interested on how to go about getting public land hunts for next year. I hunt in Trinity on private land. Any suggestions on where/how I can get started for next season would be greatly appreciated.
                  DCNF is a good place to start.. Some nice deer in those woods.

Comment

What do yall think about pat mayse wma?

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                      DCNF is a good place to start.. Some nice deer in those woods.
                      Thanks Shark, how do I go about applying for a permit???

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaHFD View Post
                        If you're in Trinity, I'd drive up to the SW corner of the Davy Crockett NF. I like that part of the forest, as it's not too crowded and there are some nice bottomland edges in there to hunt. Look around where creek and river bottoms and the uplands meet - at that edge. That's usually where you'll find good trails. They'll be traveling parallel to the creek or river and skirting the edges of the hills.

Also look for trails coming in and out of the corner of adjacent private land fields and pastures. Those are usually pretty reliable in the NF too. Just follow the trail back into the woods about 100 yards, and that's where they will gather before dark to go into the field.

John

Comment

Iv hunted that same area of Davy Crockett and there are plenty of deer, my problem was getting acquainted with the area and finding a good spot but once you learn the area it a really nice place. love east texas woods

Comment

Working...
                          X