No announcement yet.

Youth Hunters Needed at Chap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for letting us know about this. With my health issues I have not been able to get my grandson on a deer yet. Because we are so far I called them and the girl said come you will hunt. We went down Friday and showed up early Saturday and got in. I believe they were close to full, they have 65 spots for kids. We had a little trouble getting in our parcel but got in by 1:15. Around 3:30 a doe came out on the corn we put out at about 60 feet. Had to wait for her to clear a big bush, and he let her have it. I had been drilling him about putting it in the high shoulder, but he hit her back a bit and she ran. She didn't go far and I heard her fall and kick a bit. We waited 15 mins and looked. Lots of blood at the shot site, but none after 8 feet. We started looking and found her 50 feet away dead. I wanted him to make a high shoulder shot because that stuff is thick. Not where you want to search for one.
    They had 9 deer Saturday (all does)I believe, several javelina, and a coyote. We quartered his around 11 Sunday morning, not sure if they had any more. I am surprised no one brought in a hog, because there was hog rootings everywhere in our parcel. the guys in the next parcel were covered up with javelina, but we didn't see any on the wma.
    Thanks again Mj, your info got my 14 yr old grandson cranked about deer hunting.

Comment

Glad he enjoyed it. Congrats to him.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
        Thanks for letting us know about this. With my health issues I have not been able to get my grandson on a deer yet. Because we are so far I called them and the girl said come you will hunt. We went down Friday and showed up early Saturday and got in. I believe they were close to full, they have 65 spots for kids. We had a little trouble getting in our parcel but got in by 1:15. Around 3:30 a doe came out on the corn we put out at about 60 feet. Had to wait for her to clear a big bush, and he let her have it. I had been drilling him about putting it in the high shoulder, but he hit her back a bit and she ran. She didn't go far and I heard her fall and kick a bit. We waited 15 mins and looked. Lots of blood at the shot site, but none after 8 feet. We started looking and found her 50 feet away dead. I wanted him to make a high shoulder shot because that stuff is thick. Not where you want to search for one.
        They had 9 deer Saturday (all does)I believe, several javelina, and a coyote. We quartered his around 11 Sunday morning, not sure if they had any more. I am surprised no one brought in a hog, because there was hog rootings everywhere in our parcel. the guys in the next parcel were covered up with javelina, but we didn't see any on the wma.
        Thanks again Mj, your info got my 14 yr old grandson cranked about deer hunting.
        That's awesome and that's what these hunts are all about!

Comment

I wanted to bring the kiddo to this but i saw online you have to be 8 or older so we have a few years.

Comment

Dang, can't wait till my kid is old enough!

Comment

My son was drawn for the hunt and we were there both days. We saw lots of bucks, but only one doe, and that was a glimpse of her walking across the sendero. My son did scare the heck out of some javelina, but no animals were harmed. When we left, close to 15 deer had been shot, probably that many javelinas, one boar and two coyotes. Hunt was great and staff was top notch. We will back for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

From the Chap staff:

Our youth hunters did a fantastic job at harvesting a total of 30 deer (28 doe, 2 spike). Youth hunters also harvested 35 javelinas, 4 coyotes, and 3 hogs.

We drew 114 youth for the 3 hunts: 90 drawn hunters showed and we took an additional 49 stand-by hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My daughter's aren't old enough yet or we'd be all over it.

My oldest doesn't turn 8 until December 30th. Next year, she will be applying for it among others and more than likely showing up for the standby's!!! Can't wait to see her harvest a deer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post

Love this!!!! Absolutely what it's all about!

Comment

Working...
                    X