Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
    Austin isnt quite podunk
    I gathered that. Yes, I know it makes more sense in more densely populated areas, I was just stating non directly how it pays to live in a small town sometimes.

Comment

Not legal. It's illegal in Round Rock and Georgetown as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ballsie View Post
        I got a new sight and I want to get it dialed in, but the longest range around here is 20 yards. I want to get it on at about 60.

We have a ton of retention ponds around that would give the perfect backdrop for any wild arrows. The question is: Is it legal?
        You can shoot that far at my house out in the country. I am about 45 minutes north east of 290 & 35. Seriously, pm me if you are interested.

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but my lease is in dripping springs (about 20 minutes from the house.). I can shoot there, but there is a big & tastey retention pond about 300 yds from the house and it's been calling my name. I have been really tempted, so I'm glad I checked the green screen before going off and gettin into trouble. Thanks for the info!

Comment

No go in Ft Worth. Its only illegal if you get caught!!!!

MunicodeNEXT, the industry's leading search application with over 3,300 codes and growing!

(6)

The person was discharging a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow on a tract of land that is ten (10) acres or more that was annexed by the city after September 1, 1981 and the discharge was more than one hundred fifty (150) feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property and was in a manner not reasonably expected to cause the projectile to cross the boundary of the tract;

Comment

There is no state law prohibiting it but many cities have municipale codes against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                Its probally ok....but once one of them Austin peta super libs spots ya with that cruel animal killing weapon they will swarm ya and drive ya crazy
                Just tell'em your tring to skewer some Veggie kabobs from long distance and you'll be cool with the PETA Nazis

Comment

It's only illegal if yoy get caught

Ike

Comment

It's legal if you have a wood fence, I called apd and asked. Archery country told me the same thing.

If you need more distance pm me, I'm a member of Austin archery club. You can get in with a member.

Comment

Originally posted by DB Cooper View Post
                      It's legal if you have a wood fence, I called apd and asked. Archery country told me the same thing.

If you need more distance pm me, I'm a member of Austin archery club. You can get in with a member.
                      A wood fence??? They know arrows zip right through wood fences right?

Comment

Originally posted by free2hunt View Post
                        is anything legal in austin? (except pot)

doubt it
                        bwahahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                          A wood fence??? They know arrows zip right through wood fences right?
                          I didn't say it made sense.

Comment

Austin Archery

Originally posted by DB Cooper View Post

I need to look into this and may even hit you up......

Comment

I don't know...

§ 9-6-1 DEFINITIONS.

In this chapter:

(1) AIRGUN means an airgun, air pistol, air rifle, or device that uses air pressure to propel a projectile through a barrel, excluding a pneumatic nail gun or similar construction tool.

(2) AIRPORT means a facility owned, leased or controlled by the City used for aircraft loading, unloading, landing and take off.

(3) BUILDING has the meaning provided in Chapter 30 (Burglary and Criminal Trespass) of the Texas Penal Code.

(4) CITY PREMISES means a building or real property owned, leased, occupied, or controlled by the City, excluding a street, sidewalk, or park.

(5) ENTER means the intrusion of a person's entire body into a building.

(6) FIREARM means:

(a) a gun, pistol, rifle, or device designed, made, adapted, or readily convertible to use explosive energy generated by an explosion or burning substance to expel a projectile through a barrel; or

(b) an airgun.

(7) NOTICE has the meaning provided in Section 30.05 (Criminal Trespass) of the Texas Penal Code.

Source: 1992 Code Sections 10-9-1 and 10-9-3(D); Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 9-6-2 FIREARMS PROHIBITED ON CITY PREMISES.

Except as provided in Sections 9-6-4 (Exception for Peace or Security Officers, or Retired Officers), 9-6-5 (Exception for Gun Shows), and 9-6-6 (Exception for Shipping at Airport), a person may not enter or remain on City premises if the person is carrying a concealed or unconcealed firearm.

Source: 1992 Code Section 10-9-2(A); Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11; Ord. 050303-17.

§ 9-6-3 NOTICE OF PROHIBITION.

(A) The city manager shall post notice at each city premise that a person carrying a firearm:

(1) may not enter city premises; and

(2) must immediately leave city premises.

(B) The notice posted under this section shall include a statement, in English and Spanish, to read substantially as follows:

A person may not enter these premises while carrying a concealed or unconcealed firearm. A person who enters these premises carrying a firearm may be subject to prosecution under Section 30.05 (Criminal Trespass) of the Texas Penal Code.

Source: 1992 Code Sections 10-9-2(A) and (B); Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 9-6-4 EXCEPTION FOR PEACE OR SECURITY OFFICERS, OR RETIRED OFFICERS.

This chapter does not apply to:

(1) a peace officer employed by the City or other governmental entity lawfully acting within the scope of the peace officer’s duties;

(2) a commissioned security officer hired by or under contract with the City lawfully acting within the scope of that employment; or

(3) a retired peace officer employed by the police department, who holds a certificate of proficiency issued under state law that authorizes the retired officer to carry a handgun, lawfully acting within the scope of that employment on premises of the police department.

Source: 1992 Code Section 10-9-2(C); Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11; Ord. 050303-17.

§ 9-6-5 EXCEPTION FOR GUN SHOWS.

(A) Except as provided in Subsection (B), the city manager may:

(1) authorize a person to possess a firearm for exhibition or sale at an event on City premises; and

(2) determine restrictions on possession of the firearm on City premises.

(B) The city manager may only authorize a person who is a licensed firearms dealer to exhibit a firearm for sale at an event on City premises.

Source: 1992 Code Section 10-9-2(D); Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 9-6-6 EXCEPTION FOR SHIPPING AT AIRPORT.

A person may carry a firearm at the airport to send or receive shipment by air of the firearm, if the person is in compliance with federal regulation and any restrictions determined by the city manager.

Source: 1992 Code Section 10-9-2(E); Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 9-6-7 FIREARM DISCHARGE RESTRICTED.

(A) Except as provided in Subsection (B), a person may not discharge a firearm:

(1) in the city limits; or

(2) on, across, or into Lake Austin or the Colorado River within the city limits.

(B) A person may discharge:

(1) a firearm at a gunsmith business or a shooting facility issued a permit under Article 2 (Archery Ranges and Shooting Facilities) of Chapter 4-3 (Amusement Park, Circus, Carnival, Archery Range, or Shooting Facility) if the firearm is discharged:

(a) in compliance with the requirements of the permit; and

(b) at an approved firing line in the direction of a target;

(2) a firearm in the exercise of the person's express or implied right to discharge a firearm under state or federal law; or

(3) an airgun in an enclosed building or shooting facility specifically designed to prevent a projectile discharged by the airgun from traveling beyond the boundaries of the building or shooting facility.

Source: 1992 Code Section 10-9-3(A) through (C); Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 9-6-8 OFFENSE AND PENALTY.

A person who violates this chapter commits an offense, punishable as provided in Section 1-1-99 (Offenses; General Penalty).

Source: 1992 Code Section 10-9-3(E); Ord. 031023-13; Ord. 031211-11.

ARTICLE 2. ARCHERY RANGES AND SHOOTING FACILITIES.

§ 4-3-41 DEFINITIONS.

In this article:

(1) ARCHERY CLUB means a non-profit organization, sanctioned by a national or state archery association, composed of archers who meet to engage in the sport of archery.

(2) ARCHERY RANGE means a facility where archery is practiced, excluding an archery range limited to the use of toy bows and soft rubber tip arrows.

(3) FIREARM means a weapon capable of discharging a projectile by means of an explosive charge, including a rifle, pistol, shotgun, or any other type of gun, excluding an air pistol or air rifle incapable of discharging a projectile at a muzzle speed greater than 300 feet per second.

(4) FIRING LINE means a designated area at an archery range or shooting facility designed and intended for use as the location from which a person may shoot an arrow or discharge a firearm in the direction of a target.

(5) SHOOTING FACILITY means an area, either enclosed or outdoors, at which a firearm is discharged at a target, designed to prevent a projectile fired from a firearm at a target from going beyond the boundaries of the area, by use of a backstop or other barrier.

(6) SHOOTING POSITION means the designated area at an archery range designed and intended for use as the location from which persons may shoot arrows in the direction of a target.

Source: 1992 Code Section 8-4-60; Ord. 031023-12; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 4-3-42 DELEGATION AUTHORIZED.

The city manager may delegate the authority or a duty or responsibility assigned to the building official under this article to the police chief, the fire chief, or another City employee who the city manager determines is capable of exercising the authority or performing one or more of the duties or responsibilities of the building official.

Source: 1992 Code Section 8-4-60; Ord. 031023-12; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 4-3-43 PERMIT REQUIRED.

A person commits an offense if the person conducts or operates, or permits another person to conduct or operate, an archery range or shooting facility on property under the person's ownership or control, without a permit issued under this article.

Source: 1992 Code Section 8-4-61; Ord. 031023-12; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 4-3-44 APPLICATION FOR PERMIT.

(A) A person must file an application for a permit to operate or conduct an archery range or shooting facility with the building official on a form approved by the building official.

(B) An application under this permit shall include:

(1) the name, mailing address, and telephone number of the applicant, including, if the applicant is a partnership, the name, address, and telephone number of each partners, and, if the applicant is a corporation, the name, address, and telephone number of the corporation’s officers and directors;

(2) the business name, address, and telephone number of the proposed archery range or shooting facility;

(3) a scale drawing or site plan showing the location and dimension of any existing or proposed improvement, specifically including the location and dimension of each proposed firing line and target area, and the location, design, and material used for the construction of a backstop, baffle, and all other surfaces downrange from a firing line;

(4) a copy of each building permit application required to construct a structure to be used in connection with the archery range or shooting facility;

(5) for a shooting facility not located entirely inside a building, a site plan showing the existing and proposed topography of the land and all existing structures and uses of property located within:

(a) 1,200 yards downrange and a 20 degree outward angle from either end of a firing line for a firearm other than a shotgun;

(b) 300 yards downrange and a 20 degree outward angle from either end of a firing line for a firearm other than a shotgun on a baffled range;

(c) 300 yards downrange and 180 degrees on either side of any skeet launching facility at a skeet range for the exclusive use of shotguns; and

(d) 300 yards down-range and 110 degrees on either side of any trap launching facility at a trap range for the exclusive use of shotguns;

(6) for an archery range not located entirely inside a building, a site plan showing the existing and proposed topography of the land, the location of each shooting position and target, and all existing structures and uses of property located within 400 yards of a shooting position;

(7) the name and address of each property owner located within 300 feet of the boundary of the property on which the archery range or shooting facility is to be operated;

(8) a copy of the proposed rules, regulations, and operating procedures governing the use of the archery range or shooting facility and the proposed hours of operation;

(9) evidence satisfactory to the building official that the archery range or shooting facility meets the design requirements imposed by Section 4-3-45 (Design and Operation Requirements);

(10) evidence satisfactory to the building official of the applicant's ability to comply with the insurance requirement imposed by Section 4-3-46 (Insurance Requirement); and

(11) other information required by the building official to determine the safety of the archery range or shooting facility.

(C) The building official shall mail a notice to each property owner located within 300 feet of the boundary of the property on which a proposed archery range or shooting facility is to be operated stating that an application has been filed under this article.

(D) The applicant shall post a notice in a form and at the locations approved by the building official advising the public that an application has been filed under to this article.

Source: 1992 Code Sections 8-4-62 and 8-4-63(B); Ord. 031023-12; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 4-3-45 DESIGN AND OPERATION REQUIREMENTS.

(A) An archery range or shooting facility shall be designed and operated to prevent an arrow, bullet, or other projectile from traveling beyond the property boundary of the archery range or shooting facility.

(B) An outdoor shooting facility at which a firearm other than a shotgun will be discharged shall be designed and operated to prevent a projectile fired from the firing line from initially striking a surface that is not designed to completely stop the projectile or prevent a potentially dangerous ricochet.

(C) The owner or operator of an archery range or shooting facility must post and maintain the rules and regulations for the range or facility in a visible location at the range or facility. The rules and regulations for the archery range or shooting facility must prohibit:

(1) the possession or use of alcoholic beverages by a person on the firing line; and

(2) the discharge of a firearm or arrow by a person under the influence of alcohol.

(D) The operating procedures for a shooting facility shall prohibit a person from using a firing line at the facility unless the permit holder, owner, operator, or an employee is present and directly supervising the range operation to ensure compliance with approved rules and regulations.

(E) The operating procedure for an archery range shall prohibit a person from using a shooting position at the facility except when the permit holder, owner, operator, an employee, or, in the case of an archery club operation, an authorized club member is present and directly supervising the range operation to ensure compliance with approved rules and regulations.

Source: 1992 Code Sections 8-4-63(A) and (B)(1) through (5) and (7); Ord. 031023-12; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 4-3-46 INSURANCE REQUIREMENT.

A permittee under this article shall obtain and maintain liability insurance coverage in a minimum amount of $300,000 per person and $500,000 per event, if coverage in these amounts is available for the operation of an archery range or shooting facility.

Source: 1992 Code Section 8-4-63(B)(6); Ord. 031023-12; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 4-3-47 DETERMINATION AND PERMIT ISSUANCE.

(A) If the building official determines that an archery range or shooting facility satisfies the specific requirements of Sections 4-3-45 (Design and Operation Requirements) and 4-3-46 (Insurance Requirement), the building official shall:

(1) conditionally approve the application and issue a temporary permit, subject to final approval after the completion of the improvements shown on the application in accordance with the approved plans and specifications; or

(2) approve the application and issue a permit.

(B) If the building official issues a temporary permit under Subsection (A), the building official must inspect the completed improvements and certify that the requirements of Subsection 4-3-45 (Design an Operation Requirements) are met before issuing a final permit.

(C) The building official may consider range development guidelines promulgated by the National Rifle Association, the National Field Archery Association, the National Archery Association, or other national organization in the review of the design of an archery range or shooting facility.

(D) A conditional permit approved under this section is not approval of a building permit or other permit required under other applicable provisions of the Code or an ordinance.

Source: 1992 Code Sections 8-4-63(A) and (B)(1); Ord. 031023-12; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 4-3-48 PERMIT TERM AND REQUIREMENTS.

(A) A permit issued under this article must state that issuance of the permit is not an assurance by the City, its employees, officers, or agents that injury may not result from the operation or use of the approved archery range or shooting facility.

(B) A permit issued under this article is valid for one year from the date of issuance.

(C) A permit for an archery range or shooting facility may contain:

(1) restrictions on the type of firearms and ammunition permitted to be discharged;

(2) a maintenance schedule for improvements and safety equipment;

(3) rules and regulations governing the use of the facility;

(4) limitations on the times of operation; and

(5) other terms and conditions relating to the use and operation of the archery range or shooting facility that the building official determines are necessary to protect public safety, a neighboring property owner, and a person who uses the archery range or shooting facility.

Source: 1992 Code Section 8-4-63(C); Ord. 031211-11.

§ 4-3-49 COMPLAINT REVIEW AND PERMIT REVOCATION.

(A) The building official shall review each written complaint filed with the city regarding the operation of an archery range or shooting facility. The building official shall keep a record of each complaint against an archery range or shooting facility that involves public safety.

(B) The building official shall notify the permittee if the building official determines that there is a reasonable basis to believe violation of a permit has occurred or is occurring. The building official shall give the permittee a reasonable opportunity to cure a continuing permit violation.

(C) If a permittee fails to correct a permit violation within the time authorized by the building official, the building official may revoke the permit if the building official determines that:

(1) a permit is being violated;

(2) the permit holder has failed to cure the violation; and

(3) the violation constitutes an immediate and unreasonable danger to the public, a neighboring property owner, or a person using the archery range or shooting facility.

(D) The building official shall revoke a permit issued under this article and may not renew or reissue a permit for an archery range or shooting facility against which the building official has certified five or more violations within the preceding 12-month period that involve a threat to public safety, a neighboring property owner, or a person using the archery range or shooting facility.

Source: 1992 Code Section 8-4-64; Ord. 031023-12; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 4-3-50 RIGHT OF APPEAL.

(A) A person aggrieved by a decision of the building official under this article may appeal the decision to the council by filing a written notice of the appeal with the city clerk describing the error of the building official.

(B) An appeal under this section does not stay the building official's decision.

(C) The council shall schedule a public hearing on the appeal not later than the 30th day after the day the city clerk receives the notice of appeal. The council may uphold, reverse, or modify the decision of the building official.

Source: 1992 Code Section 8-4-65; Ord. 031023-12; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 4-3-51 PERMIT FOR A GOVERNMENT AGENCY.

The building official shall issue a permit to operate an archery range or shooting facility to a federal, state, or local governmental agency on receipt of a certification from an authorized official of the agency that the archery range or shooting facility is:

(1) under the exclusive control and management of the agency; and

(2) operated for the exclusive use of governmental employees.

Source: 1992 Code Section 8-4-66; Ord. 031023-12; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 4-3-52 APPLICABILITY TO AN EXISTING RANGE OR FACILITY.

(A) An authorized archery range or shooting facility annexed into the City may operate without the permit required by this article for a period of not more than 45 days after the date of annexation.

(B) If a person files an application for the permit required by this article within the 45-day period authorized in Subsection (A), the archery range or shooting facility may continue to operate without a permit for an additional 45-day period following the expiration of the initial 45-day period, pending processing and conditional approval of a permit by the building official.

(C) If the building official conditionally approves a permit within the 90-days authorized by Subsections (A) and (B), and the applicant begins and continues construction of the improvements necessary to meet the requirements prescribed by Section 4-3-45 (Design and Operation Requirements), an existing archery range or shooting facility may continue to operate without the issuance of a final permit for an additional 90 days after the expiration of the 90-day period authorized by Subsections (A) and (B).

(D) The building official may grant a single extension of a conditional permit of not more than 60 days if an applicant is unable to complete the required improvements within the 90-day period authorized by Subsection (C).

(E) The building official may authorize the construction of improvements and site development on an existing archery range or shooting facility to meet the requirements prescribed by Section 4-3-45 (Design and Operation Requirements), without requiring the applicant to obtain a building permit, site development permit, or other permit required under the Code.

Source: 1992 Code Section 8-4-67; Ord. 031023-12; Ord. 031211-11.

Comment

Only on the East Side after the sun goes down. You know, between dusk and dawn

Comment

Working...
                                X