Credit Card Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card Theft

Mid December someone got their hands on my credit card number and must have made a card to make a bunch of purchases around Houston. They started with a few small purchases and within 2 days racked up $1000 in charges. The CC company finally caught on, shut down my card and sent me a new one... I know it happens, but kinda embarrassing when your card gets declined while entertaining for business.

3 weeks later, get a call from CC company.. Someone in Florida is trying to charge a dollar on my account.. Well, I'm in Houston so that's impossible. They got me again.. This seems weird right?

Today my card gets declined AGAIN.. Someone made a small purchase on the other side of town, at the same time I'm trying to grab a sandwhich at Subway..

Anyone had this happen? Is there an easy way to figure out who is grabbing my number? When I asked the CC company for advise, they almost made it seem like it was someone I know that might see my card number on a regular basis... The only one that could do this is my wife...and she has everything anyways..no need for my CC.

Cancel the card and get a new one. Contact the credit bureaus and put a fraud alert on your credit. Sucks. Happened to me last year. Hit me with a 10k purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by COWDOG View Post
      Cancel the card and get a new one. Contact the credit bureaus and put a fraud alert on your credit. Sucks. Happened to me last year. Hit me with a 10k purchase.
      Fortunately I haven't had to pay any of the charges. CC company clears them right away.. It's more of an annoyance that either someone around me or somewhere I shop is ripping off my card.

Comment

Could be some place you frequently use your card that is compromised

Comment

You need to get rid of that cc company for sure. I am notified immediately when my card is used and can shut down the card immediately. Find a card that will take care of transactions now not after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
            You need to get rid of that cc company for sure. I am notified immediately when my card is used and can shut down the card immediately. Find a card that will take care of transactions now not after the fact.
            Kinda hard to identify the "bad" transactions since they are mostly in Houston (other than the one caught in FL). I travel all over the city for business..I don't really want my card declined every time I go to Katy.. The transaction we caught today was at a Kroger south of Memorial.. I have never been there, but I have been near there in the last couple months..

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanm View Post
              Mid December someone got their hands on my credit card number and must have made a card to make a bunch of purchases around Houston. They started with a few small purchases and within 2 days racked up $1000 in charges. The CC company finally caught on, shut down my card and sent me a new one... I know it happens, but kinda embarrassing when your card gets declined while entertaining for business.

3 weeks later, get a call from CC company.. Someone in Florida is trying to charge a dollar on my account.. Well, I'm in Houston so that's impossible. They got me again.. This seems weird right?

Today my card gets declined AGAIN.. Someone made a small purchase on the other side of town, at the same time I'm trying to grab a sandwhich at Subway..

Anyone had this happen? Is there an easy way to figure out who is grabbing my number? When I asked the CC company for advise, they almost made it seem like it was someone I know that might see my card number on a regular basis... The only one that could do this is my wife...and she has everything anyways..no need for my CC.
              Happened to me. They just canceled card and issued a new one. If it’s recurring, I would look at the places I was using card. Possible someone has a skimmer at a place you frequent. That’s unlikely. More likely your info is being sold in bulk on the internet. Thanks Russia.

You can buy DOB, SSN and associated credit card numbers in bulk off the internet. It’s sucks but it’s true. You buy 1000 names and identifying information and a couple work. You then pay a guy a small fee to put those names on actual cards, chip included. You go to Nordstrom’s and buy 5k on card. Then you drive up the highway and return the merchandise at another Nordstrum and get a 5k put on giftcard. You either use that card or sell it for a value less than 5k.

It’s a huge problem.

Comment

Most likely breached by a computer. The $1.00 transaction is a trial run from the offender, to confirm the card will work. The spending will then follow that $1.00 transaction if it goes through for them. Cancel that card and get a new one.

Comment

Happened to me. I got a statement from them with over 1500 dollars of charges from Toys-r-Us in New York city. All internet purchases. Contacted credit card company and no problem getting a credit. Cancelled cards and sent new ones. This was with Chase Bank.

Comment

Did you not hear about the Equifax breach.... or target... or Home Depot??

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanm View Post

I have had this happen on two different cards at least 4 times in the past 18 months, you are right about being embarrassed about being declined, it has happened to me more than once for a business dinner, wanted to crawl under the table, not sure how they are getting ahold of my personal info, they even filed a fake tax return on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                        Did you not hear about the Equifax breach.... or target... or Home Depot??
                        Yes, but getting my card 3 times in less than 2 months?? In the past 16 years of having multiple cards, this has never happened. Maybe my luck finally turned? Once I have access to my account again, I think I will pull the places I have shopped in each time frame between new cards. I can probably narrow it down to a few places, which I will start to avoid. Someone must have a skimmer or an employee that is checking out card numbers..

This is exactly why I almost never use a debit card. I couldn't imagine this happening to my checking account.

Comment

My wife's purse got stolen once. The thief spent less using the credit cards than my wife, so I didn't report it.

Comment

Credit Card Theft

Wells Fargo?

Their security is swiss cheese

I got hit there 4 times in 3 months. We moved to another bank that sucks less

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X