CDL Advice?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDL Advice?!?!

Hey guys, My company is wanting me to get my CDL to drive our crane around and I just got my booklet and I'm about to start studyin (If I can get off this site).
    Any pointers? Anything key things to remember?

What class CDL are you trying to get.

Comment

I would imagine it's a class B w/ air brakes. But if you're going to do go all the way and go ahead and get a Class A with doubles, tanker, air brakes and hazardous also if you can stand the extra studying.
      Then keep it up for later growth down the road (no pun intended).
      The easy part is the written, the hardest is the safety inspection part of the driving.
      Take the driving test in the smallest possible equipment that will qualify you for a class A.-ex. a single axle tractor and a pup trailer, and then practice till you can parallel park it and back it up in your sleep......literally.

Comment

watch your overpass heighths.... a buddy was asked the overpass height of one after going under two more.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
          I would imagine it's a class B w/ air brakes. But if you're going to do go all the way and go ahead and get a Class A with doubles, tanker, air brakes and hazardous also if you can stand the extra studying.
          The easy part is the written, the hardest is the safety inspection part of the driving.
          Take the driving test in the smallest possible equipment that will qualify you for a class A.-ex. a single axle tractor and a pup trailer, and then practice till you can parallel park it and back it up in your sleep......literally.
          Yep....

That said, be careful what you set yourself up for. The company that wanted me to get my CDL "just to help in emergencies" wound up wasting A lot of my sales time driving "because I was available"

Comment

practice your all brake test......THEN PRACTICE IT SOME MORE ! be comfortable with your driving skills and definately know how to parellel park. know your inspection,even though i didn't get asked about it or anybody in my class.hardest part was remembering all the points to the brake test under pressure.

Comment

I got my Class A years ago when I had my own company... I passed the written part then I got with a company that provides a truck, ins, drive time, etc (used their truck for the test too)... Well worth the $250, IMO

Comment

Pat Miller said it all, if your going to get a CDL, go all out and get a class a with all endorsments, study hard practice hard on the equipment you will be driving and take your test. Job well done.

Comment

General Knowledge was toughest for me. Being a coach, Class B I had to take 6 tests. Passed all except GK on first try. THe driving part is a joke, the tests are the toughest. I went to testquestionsandanswers.com and IT HELPED ALOT!!! Good luck, shoot me a PM if you have any ?s

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
                    this but backin a pup trailer can get outta shape real quick, its easier to back the longer trailers than the shorts as there is more room for error, imo. when i took mine i drove a ford 9000 tractor, and 53 ft trailer seemed easy enough just make sure that the truck you use WILL pass the air brakes and safety inspection

Comment

i have a class a cdl and have for about 7 years and i will tell you study the air brakes, that is the hardest part of the test. i was lucky enough to have a company that provided a truck for me to test in so that helped alot.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                        this but backin a pup trailer can get outta shape real quick, its easier to back the longer trailers than the shorts as there is more room for error, imo. when i took mine i drove a ford 9000 tractor, and 53 ft trailer seemed easy enough just make sure that the truck you use WILL pass the air brakes and safety inspection
                        x2 longer trailer is easier to back up, they dont walk as much.

Comment

Just study the book a good few times. I passed all my class a permit tests my first try at em, pre trip was the hardest for me because I didn't study it haha. I have to do my driving test here pretty quick. I've gotta get mine for my company as well to drive our boom trucks with air brakes that's the only reason it's gotta be class a for me

Comment

Thanks guys, Im just goin for the Class B for now. Gonna take the test this week hopefully. Do they give you your "permit" when you pass the written test or do they expect me to go out driving the thing without a license till I figure it out lol.

That air brake test seems like a doozy to remember so far, Gonna do all the walk around stuff a couple times a day while Im screwin around at the shop this week.
                            Last edited by txcntryboy; 08-15-2011, 08:25 PM. Reason: New keyboard has me all screwed up...

Comment

I wont have to worry about the trailer part of it all this go round. Ill be taking the test in our crane rig so it shouldnt be too bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X